Coronavirus pandemic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am
meekan wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 am
Treating the British public as mugs will come back to bite the conservatives. Maybe the opposition parties will finally do their job.

It will be a long time coming meekan... As you would probably know The Labour's northern heartlands are now Blue.The good people of Scotland certainly have an alternative wee Nicolas gang..
Brian, I think maybe the northern heartlands were blue, Johnson’s popularity this morning has dropped 14 points and is in the negative, ie -1! If there was a snap election, I think the results would be so different. But you’re right, we have Nicola❤️
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

John Donnelly wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm Right !!!
I'm opening a book on Cummings getting sacked or resigning. Two to one on that he goes.
Winnings to be collected in Mac's Bar two weeks tonight; Tuesday 9th June.
I'm looking forward to getting wasted on my winnings.
JD.
Sorry to bring you the bad news John. William Hill offer these odds

Dominic Cummings Special
31 May 09:00Dominic Cummings Special
Dominic Cummings to still be in post on June 1st 2020 - 1/4

Dominic Cummings to have left post as Senior Advisor to PM by end May 2020 - 5/2

But you never know... keep the malt handy :smt030
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Where was all this passion and penmanship on 8 May, when, correct me if I'm wrong, there wasn't a single mention on Threetowners about the 75th Anniversary of VE Day, or those from Ardrossan, Saltcoats, and Stevenston who gave their all?

I'm reminded of a lecture at no less an institution than Balliol College, Oxford, where a leading psychiatrist urged everyone to remember - "It's not a disaster to get stuck in a traffic jam, it's a disaster when your family is wiped out in a traffic jam. Keep things in perspective!"

And just to keep things on topic, I hope everyone is avoiding the symptoms of the coronavirus. Personally, I think one or two might be running a temperature :wink:.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:47 pm
I'm reminded of a lecture at no less an institution than Balliol College, Oxford, where a leading psychiatrist urged everyone to remember - "It's not a disaster to get stuck in a traffic jam, it's a disaster when your family is wiped out in a traffic jam. Keep things in perspective!"
PT
Feeling a bit slow today and I'm a bit puzzled with how this quote is relevant can you help? :)
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi, PT.

I know what you mean about the lack of attention for VE day.
The fourth of May is our Remembrance Day here. Normally there are two Remembrance services.
The main one is on the Dam Square in Amsterdam where the service is led by the King and thousands of people fill the square.
The other one is in a hollow in the dunes on the outskirts of The Hague, which the Germans used as an execution place for captured resistance members.
Both services were held, but, because of the corona crisis, it was with only ten or twelve people taking part.
It was very strange to see the King and Queen standing almost alone in the square. Instead of the whole row of dignitaries laying wreaths, there were a boy and girl scout who laid them all, one by one, in their place. Apart from the King, only the Prime Minister personally laid a wreath.
The other service in Waalsdorpervlakte in the dunes is purely for the people. There are no dignitaries or speeches. A great Bourdon bell is tolled by teams of honour personnel, family of resistance members, while the public file past the execution spot marked by a simple cross. It is the most moving thing I have ever seen, (though only on television). There was no procession this year but the bell was tolled.
VE day was the same. There was considerable attention on the news and in the media, but planned street parties and such like were all cancelled.
As a little aside, the commemoration of the Battle of Arnhem is held in September. The last couple of years, one of the veterans who jumped at the time, has jumped attached to a professional parachutist. He died a few weeks ago aged 98. He was the last.

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:47 pm Where was all this passion and penmanship on 8 May, when, correct me if I'm wrong, there wasn't a single mention on Threetowners about the 75th Anniversary of VE Day, or those from Ardrossan, Saltcoats, and Stevenston who gave their all?

And just to keep things on topic, I hope everyone is avoiding the symptoms of the coronavirus. Personally, I think one or two might be running a temperature :wink:.
Maybe because looking back in my lifetime I don’t remember street parties or celebrations for the 20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th, 45th, 50th, - well you can see where I’m going here. I honestly believe this was cynical manipulation by the UK government to promote Britishness within the population including those still feeling uncomfortable with leaving the EU. Vera Lynn, Battle of Britain, Union Jacks, Blitz Spirit, and We’ll meet again promotion of Unity was laid on with a trowel. Thing is PT - my (Scottish) family is being wiped out by a viral traffic jam. My temperature is 36.8 Deg C today - I take ours EVERY day, we stay home, we haven’t been in someone else’s house, nor had anyone in ours - we are doing as we are told. I am part of the neighbourhood Help scheme and am following TO THE LETTER in giving help and assistance to my elderly neighbours - but to reiterate - I AM DOING AS I AM TOLD, I am obeying the law. Wish I could say the same of some of our unelected masters.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I know some of you don’t have access to Facebook, so I have copied and pasted a post from a lady who lives in Durham - interesting reading. Ps - JD get onto Facebook so I can copy you in on originals rather than copying and pasting.

Could we just be clear about this. Dominic Cummings did NOT drive to Durham city. He drove to an estate just outside, Chester-le-Street in North Durham. This little area has one of the highest death rates from Covid in the country. It made the national news for the appalling, even by current standards, death rates in care homes. It is also bedevilled by country estates, including North Lodge where his parents live their rather nasty lives. Dominic and his mother where founders of the ill fated Durham Free School that failed almost immediately. Barnard Castle is the home of Glaxo who have a large government contract to produce Covid tests and a possible vaccine. Just saying. Cumming's sister, the one that provided the nieces that were so helpful with the shopping is a director of the company involved with the track and trace app that so far isn't working. This whole sad story is dirtier than you might think.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

JD - you must be proud of this - taken from SKY’s website tonight.

The Dutch prime minister did not get to visit his dying mother in her final weeks because he was following lockdown restrictions, his office has said.

Mark Rutte's mother Mieke Rutte-Dilling died aged 96 at her care home in The Hague on 13 May, the PM said in a statement.

He was unable to visit her before she died because he was following his government's guidelines about not visiting care homes, with his office saying: "The prime minister has complied with all directives."
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

meekan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 pm
PT
Feeling a bit slow today and I'm a bit puzzled with how this quote is relevant can you help? :)
Meekan- My interpretation is- it's not the end of the World. Fingers x the corona will soon disappear
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

meekan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 pm
PT
Meekan,

The last time you were ‘slow’ the folk in Rowanside Terrace didn’t get their milk till the back of eight :lol: .

I took from the psychiatrist’s quote that Dominic Cummings is not my concern and not to fret about the implications of the situation he has created for himself and others closely associated with him, and over which I have no direct control or influence.

I’m currently worried about my daughter who is a nurse; about my son who is employed in the security industry where employees feature very highly amongst those affected by the coronavirus; about my aunt, who still lives in her own house, and whom I couldn’t visit on 11 May – her 100th birthday; about my cousin’s pancreatic cancer prognosis; about my friend’s daughter whom dentists didn’t currently want to examine and who now, as a result of aggressive bone cancer, not toothache, has had her jaw removed and replaced with bone from a shoulder in a 14 hour operation – then, after a failure, repeated with bone from her other shoulder (God bless the surgeons and support staff), and now awaits chemotherapy; and about another friend’s daughter whose failure to control her anorexia is causing grave concern.

About DOMINIC CUMMINGS – I don’t give a hoot!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Right !!! I'm opening another book.
A knighthood for the Chief Constable of Durham Constabulary in the next honours list; - odds 100 to 1 on.
I feel the heavy hand of the Home Office on his shoulder leading to a third communique from him announcing that Dominic Cummings was not guilty of any breaking of the law by driving from London to Durham, thus allowing Boris to announce that the matter is now finally closed.
Does the cretin not realise that (as PT said) 'we don't give a hoot' whether he broke any law. We're thoroughly furious at the whole high-handed, arrogant manner in which the principle of the matter is being thrown overboard.

A not sorry for ranting, JD. (At least I kept it short :evil: )
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I don't understand why during Trace & Support they are not going to test all the contacts of the initial positive subject. I understand that getting a negative result from a contact who is asymptomatic is of little value but finding a contact who is asymptomatic and positive would be very valuable. First, it would trigger an immediate new Trace & Support. Second, and more important it would identify someone who is a carrier of the virus and who can infect other people and third it would contribute to our understanding of just how many such people exist.

Such a person could pass through many isolation periods and emerge undetected from each and go on to infect more people. The question arises, of course, what to do with such carriers of the virus (assuming we do detect them) - we don't have any drugs that will kill the virus. I suppose we could isolate them on a desert island until we have a treatment. Back in the day of Henry vIII and Thomas Cromwell they would just have been incinerated (I've been reading Hilary Mantel: The Mirror and the Light).