Coronavirus pandemic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by John Donnelly »

Brian Rix is alive and well and living in 10 Downing St.
But then we've known that for a while.
JD.
PS; Andrew Marr gave Shapps a right roasting this morning.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Johnson has just told the entire country to beat it.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:27 pm Johnson has just told the entire country to beat it.
I don’t usually watch the Westminster briefings as the Edinburgh programme is more informative, apolitical and accurate but decided to sit through Johnson’s ramblings today to watch, hopefully, Cummings getting his jotters. But no - we, the British public were treated like idiots, told to get back in the corner and know our place. It is enough seemingly, for our PM to have “spoken” to Cummings and decided what he did was ok, and he acted like a concerned parent. Pity so many people saw him in Durham, then London THEN back in Durham again. Good that he could spend time with his parents for his mum’s birthday then visit Barnard Castle for his wife’s birthday though.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

A couple of things come to mind with this episode, firstly if it was someone further down the chain would he/she be defended so vigorously, you could see Johnson was getting angry with the questions. (Why have the police not taken action?) Secondly Will all the people who have already been fined for breaking the lockdown get their money back and have any criminal record quashed.
I think we know the answer.
I Am always sure as the quote goes “to every action there is an opposite and equal reaction”
Treating the British public as mugs will come back to bite the conservatives. Maybe the opposition parties will finally do their job.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

meekan wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 am
Treating the British public as mugs will come back to bite the conservatives. Maybe the opposition parties will finally do their job.

It will be a long time coming meekan... As you would probably know The Labour's northern heartlands are now Blue.The good people of Scotland certainly have an alternative wee Nicolas gang..
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Only borrowed Brian, if he continues as he has, they will be ejecting him instead of electing him. A lot depends on whether Starmer can control Labour extremists.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I watched the Dominic Cummings show earlier in the evening. First there was a ‘detailed’ explanation of the sequence of events which occurred leading up to, and in the course of, his trip from London to Co. Durham. All well and good from his own point of view.

Points to ponder :-
1: In the grand scheme of things, we’ve all been ill and most of us have had young children and it often happened that both situations coincided. We’ve had it, a right stinking flu, and my wife and I had to grit our teeth and get up and make the breakfast and all the rest of it, to ensure that the rest of the family got on with their life. - And, we didn’t have a seven-figure monthly salary to help.
2: Just for a minute, let’s accept that there was an excuse that made it acceptable that it is was impossible for him and his wife to isolate themselves at home. There was nobody better placed to be able to work from home than Cummings and his wife.
3: From what Cummings described, I can accept that they were both pretty ill, (though not at the same time) and staying in bed was a good option; (see item 1 above).
4: The child, (Cummings never refered to him as his son, always as ‘the child’), is four years old. All the expert medical opinions are to the effect that, at that age, there is virtually no danger of the child becoming either seriously ill from the corona virus or being a source of infection to others. Cummings, being at the centre of the national control operation must have been accutely aware of that fact. His argument for traveling to Durham, was that their 17 year-old niece there, was available for baby-sitting if necessary, because she was not in a risk-group. Cummings was aware of the one non-risk situation when it suited him, but not of the other when it did not suit him.
5: Cummings felt the need, as the Prime Minister was ill and in intensive care, to be in a position to make decisions in his absence. At one stage he stated, ‘I was having to make decisions all the time.’ I’m sorry, but I thought Cummings was an advisor. To my mind, an advisor advises and the Prime Minister decides. So who was running the $#@&%*ing country, Johnson or Cummings? (Sorry!!!)

Let me turn my attention to the journalist’s questions. I have never seen such an inept lot. I sat listening and thinking, (read, shouting at the box) ‘ask him about …..’
1: I have taken the trouble to check the distance a Range Rover Defender can go on one tank of fuel (petrol); +/- 400 miles. From London to Durham and back is 480 miles; plus the trip back and forth to Barnard Castle to check the eyesight, (say another 40 miles). Cummings stated that he started off from London with a full tank. Was that coincidentally full when they left, or, as most of us would do starting on a long journey, we would fill up on starting out. He was unsure of stopping to fill up on the way back. Based on the facts stated above, he would almost certainly have needed to fill up twice to cover the distance there and back. Would he be willing to provide his credit card details to show his fuel purchases during the period in question?
2: Cummings took medical advice about his ability to return to work. As far as I can make out, this was done with a local doctor on the telephone. How did he contact a doctor away from home? In the normal course of events, this would have to be done through emergency channels. His wife disputed this diagnosis and insisted on a short drive into Barnard Castle to check if this was possible with his visual problems. Were these visual problems not discussed with the local doctor? So, are we to believe that a medical decision was taken by his wife?
3: I am completely confused about the communication with the local police. Who instigated these communications and why, and what must I make of the two conflicting statements issued by Durhan Constabulary?

JD.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

John
The whole thing stinks to high heaven, who drives a 60 mile round trip to test whether their eyesight is good enough to drive. Isn’t driving with an impairment illegal and dangerous to him, his passengers and other road users. Why have the police not taken a greater interest in this part of the fairytale. Is his wife not able to drive, unusual for a modern lady if she can’t. With his money and influence could he not have had someone take his babysitter to the London home instead of the three of them breaking lockdown? That would have been more responsible and understandable than the dangerous situation he put his family in.
Sorry I don’t believe a word he is saying.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

John Donnelly wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:14 pm I watched the Dominic Cummings show earlier in the evening

Let me turn my attention to the journalist’s questions. I have never seen such an inept lot.

JD.
The sheep came running one by one asking someone who was sitting comfortably drinking table water at the back of Downing Street .It was hot today so i get the open neck shirt.

I don't lie

mode ...
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Great points, well put JD. Cummings has always came across as "superior" and now above the law. To be involved in politics you've got to be good at embellishing the truth but this mob are taking it to a new level, lying conniving €@$+@£&$.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

What does it say about a prime minister who so badly needs an adviser to tell him what to do that he totally ignores public opinion, overlooks clear breaches of the lockdown rules and risks confusing the English as to what they can and cannot do?

Cumming clearly won't resign so they should adopt his method of getting rid of advisers from No. 10: Grab him by the scruff of the neck, frog march him to the front door and boot him out into the street.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Right !!!
I'm opening a book on Cummings getting sacked or resigning. Two to one on that he goes.
Winnings to be collected in Mac's Bar two weeks tonight; Tuesday 9th June.
I'm looking forward to getting wasted on my winnings.
JD.