Ardrossan Motive Power Depot 67D

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ardrossan Motive Power Depot 67D

Post by Chico1968 »

Ardrossan Motive Power Depot 67D photographed on 6/7/1970 from a passing train.My grandfather,Charlie Gordon was based here when he was a train driver.The copyright for this picture is unknown,the image being found by the seller in an old photo album.ImageArdrossan MPD 6-7-70 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ardrossan Motive Power Depot 67D

Post by Meg »

I didn’t know Charlie was driver, I always thought he was a fireman Chico - if this building was also known as the running sheds then my dad (Charlie’s brother Jimmy) was also there - he was a steam locomotive fitter.

Meg
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Meekan’s Faither wis there tae
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

meekan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 am Meekan’s Faither wis there tae
I knew that.....
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

meekan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 am Meekan’s Faither wis there tae
He must be in the ohoto😉
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

For those who were unaware, some years ago we spoke about the engine sheds and the book written about them. The book is called "The Plug Dropper". Here's the link to that topic: viewtopic.php?p=40071#p40071 The book is available on Amazon.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Thanks Meg.My dad had always told me he was a driver, but you are very probably correct. I'll delve further into it. and see what I can find out.
Meg wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 pm I didn’t know Charlie was driver, I always thought he was a fireman Chico - if this building was also known as the running sheds then my dad (Charlie’s brother Jimmy) was also there - he was a steam locomotive fitter.

Meg
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Had another look at the Plug Dropper book and it does appear that my grandfather was in fact a driver.
FB_IMG_1551425066442.jpg
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hughie wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 am For those who were unaware, some years ago we spoke about the engine sheds and the book written about them. The book is called "The Plug Dropper". Here's the link to that topic: https://www.threetowners.net/forum/view ... 071#p40071 The book is available on Amazon.
I meant to reply earlier, but it slipped my mind.
Hughie, you lent me your copy a couple of years ago. The other week, after seeing this post, I finally got my own copy from Amazon.
I finished reading it the same night.

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Chico1968 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:39 pm Had another look at the Plug Dropper book and it does appear that my grandfather was in fact a driver. FB_IMG_1551425066442.jpg
Wish Jimmy was here to ask - maybe charlie was a fireman then retrained as a driver. The reason I thought this was Charlie and Jimmy’s dad, Hugh, was a fireman and my dad said Charlie had followed in his path. This proves you should always ask questions - there’ll come a time when we’re ‘it’ and we don’t have the answers.

Meg
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I’m pretty sure that it was a natural progression for firemen to go on and become drivers in those days. (On the job training) It was quite an in depth interview and medical to get a job on footplate. So you could both be correct.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

meekan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:45 am I’m pretty sure that it was a natural progression for firemen to go on and become drivers in those days. (On the job training) It was quite an in depth interview and medical to get a job on footplate. So you could both be correct.
When the diesel engines came along I know my stepdad who was a fireman had to study and sit exams to become a driver but I dont know that it was a natural progression.