High Lodge Inn, Stevenston?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

High Lodge Inn, Stevenston?

Post by Penny Tray »

I came across a reference today to a fraud committed in the High Lodge Inn, Stevenston, in 1881.

Anybody ever heard of it? I don't see any previous reference to it in a Threetowners word search.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: High Lodge Inn, Stevenston?

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi, PT,

I've a notion it was the Thistle and Rose. That's where the Masonic hall was.

JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

That's good shout JD. I think I've previously read on Threetowners that the local Masonic Lodge held their early meetings in the Thistle and Rose Hotel and took their lodge name from that origin.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi PT,
The Lodge was still in existence in the T&R when I was a youngster. I remember it well. I would have been well into my teens when they moved into the current building; late 50's ???

JD.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I would suggest that it was the previous name for the Champion Shell

I think this picture is from the latter days of the 19th Century and the name is T and R
Thistle and Rose Hotel.jpg
The name Thistle and Rose come from around 1500 and is used to commemorate the Marriage of a Scots King and an English Queen getting hitched,
200 years later it surface again mainly used by those that sold Scotland , the Rose tend to be the Red Rose which was the Plantagenet's Colour and James the Sixth was aligned to that House.
the White Rose was the the colour of the House of York

That's about all I can remember< and I comment no further on the symbolism
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I should perhaps have said that the landlord at the material time was a Mr. William Bryce, if this helps any Stevenstonian in their deliberations.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

PT,
William Bryce is shown on the 1881 census ( at midnight on 3rd April) as a wine & spirit merchant living in Townhead Street.
The innkeeper of the Thistle and Rose at that time was Peter Kilpatrick, the owner Alexander Banks. It was the Lodge of the Freemasons.
There was another public house in New Street (no name given), Proprietor William Hamilton. No-one else was mentioned (1885).
In 1875 there is a mention of the name Bryce, in connection with the unnamed pub:
Public House and Stable: Proprietor William Hamilton, engineer & spirit dealer. Occupier self.
House: Proprietor William Hamilton, Engineer & Spirit dealer. Occupier Bryce (Howie?) Engineer. Or maybe it says House Engineer - not sure.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Townhead St, possibly Rankin's
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

hahaya2004 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 am PT,
William Bryce is shown on the 1881 census ( at midnight on 3rd April) as a wine & spirit merchant living in Townhead Street.
The innkeeper of the Thistle and Rose at that time was Peter Kilpatrick, the owner Alexander Banks. It was the Lodge of the Freemasons.
There was another public house in New Street (no name given), Proprietor William Hamilton. No-one else was mentioned (1885).
In 1875 there is a mention of the name Bryce, in connection with the unnamed pub:
Public House and Stable: Proprietor William Hamilton, engineer & spirit dealer. Occupier self.
House: Proprietor William Hamilton, Engineer & Spirit dealer. Occupier Bryce (Howie?) Engineer. Or maybe it says House Engineer - not sure.
The only other pub in New St. was the ? Albion bar ? always known as the Popinjay. I'm very sure that that was never the Masonic Lodge.
I'm pretty sure that we're all talking about the T&R here as it did have a stable.
JD.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I mentioned that JD, but the innkeeper wasn't William Bryce.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I see that the Glasgow Herald edition of 21 April 1880, reported that a William Bryce was granted a 'public house license' for premises in Main Street, Stevenston!

This, incidentally, shouldn't influence you to think only of pubs, hotel premises often having such licenses.

I should say too that the court case that started off this topic involves a board and lodgings fraud by militia personnel to the extent of 9 persons. Given that the senior officer, who was the fraudster, might have had a room to himself and the others doubled-up, we're potentially looking at somewhere with at least 5 rooms.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.