Alexander/Alexandra Place, Ardrossan?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Alexander/Alexandra Place, Ardrossan?

Post by Penny Tray »

I came across an intimation of death today in the 29 July 1886 edition of the Glasgow Herald which referred to a John McNeil resident at Alexander Place, Ardrossan. The same address was repeated in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald the following day.

There is also the birth of a female, daughter of William McIntyre, intimated in the 7th October 1882 edition of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald, and once again the address is given as Alexander Place, Ardrossan.

This begs two questions - (1) Where was Alexander Place, Ardrossan?; and (2) Who was Alexander likely to have been to have a street named after him?

Just to complicate matters, the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald also records a birth in 1889 at Alexandra Place, Ardrossan, which may not be a transcription error.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Alexander/Alexandra Place, Ardrossan?

Post by George Ardrossan »

You asked two questions, Penny Tray.

The first was where was Alexander Place in Ardrossan. My answer is that I don't know. I've never heard of it.

Question two asked who Alexander might be. This could have been Alexander MacFadzean whose Monument stands on the Castle Hill and who died in 1849. Alexander might instead have been a surname but this is just guesswork.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George, this is guess work too. Googling the name ALEXANDER with local interests, I see that at least four of the Earls of Eglinton had it as a Christian name. After that I thought who, considering the power of the Earls in the 1800s, would be bold enough to demolish such a 'Place' or rename it, unless, of course, they adopted the family surname - MONTGOMERIE - instead. I'm wondering therefore if the first few building in what is now Montgomerie Street were Alexander Place until the area expanded sufficiently to merit it becoming a street.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I believe Alexander MacFadzean lived in Bath Villa and wonder if Alexander’s place became Bath Square.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

Never knew who Alexander was either, but he was evidently well-thought of, as there's an Alexander Avenue in Stevenston.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

74 year old ,gamekeeper.
New Ardrossan, alexander Place

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Penny Tray wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 pm I'm wondering therefore if the first few building in what is now Montgomerie Street were Alexander Place until the area expanded sufficiently to merit it becoming a street.
Alas, PT, the names Montgomerie Street and Montgomerie Lane already existed in the 1850s.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Don't know if this will be of any help, but the only 'Alexander Place' I'm familiar with in the Three Town's is in Stevenston. It sit's at the Cross, just opposite to the health centre and at the junction of SchoolWell Street and Townhead Street.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

hahaya2004 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Alas, PT, the names Montgomerie Street and Montgomerie Lane already existed in the 1850s.
Thanks Hahaya. Back to the drawing board :lol: .