Split from - Wildlife in Stevenston

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by 5siamese7 »

I saw another peacock butterfly this morning and it was very busy. Unfortunately on its tod. Don't know why they are cracking out as its still cold.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:17 pm I saw another peacock butterfly this morning and it was very busy. Unfortunately on its tod. Don't know why they are cracking out as its still cold.
They will be firing themselves up for Wednesday. Hotter days are coming.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

There was quite an extensive marsh at the bottom end of Ardeer mains mainly because the master goat (goot) wasn't maintained. I have recently written about carrion crows and they are very common in Stevenston and they are terrible plunderers of mallard 's nests That marsh had breeding mallards and also carrion crows. Strangely mallards would lay eggs in old crow's nests but I have yet to see a mallard sitting on a crow's nest. Maybe something to do with evolution.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I saw a hedge sparrow in the garden to-day unfortunately on its own. They have suffered terribly from magpies taking their eggs. Some folk might dismiss them as just a spug but they are a different species. Amazingly they lay the most beautiful blue eggs you ever saw.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

As I knew he would big Jake helped himself to the woodpigeon's eggs in the bottom fir this morning. I don't know if they will give up or try to repeat. I hope they stick around as I love to hear their soft coo on an early summer's morning.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:56 pm As I knew he would big Jake helped himself to the woodpigeon's eggs in the bottom fir this morning. I don't know if they will give up or try to repeat. I hope they stick around as I love to hear their soft coo on an early summer's morning.
Have you got a pic of Big Jake ?!? :lol:
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

No I don't.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

About a dozen starlings are pitching up each day to feast on a coconut shell that my neighbour puts out. I wonder what would happen if he put out a bounty bar? I guess I would jump the wall and eat it. The almond tree has died I guess just old. Anyway I will miss the blossom and the bullfinches that fed on its buds. Some of the hawthorn trees are already out in bloom. Soon a walk up the country will be rewarded with the lovely scent from their blossom.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

My fave tree is getting ready to burst into life. I noticed green buds a couple of weeks ago.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

To-day a collard dove was sitting on my neighbour's trellis with impunity because big Jake was taking his turn on the nest and I guess this guy or gal knew this.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes Jake has calmed down and the usual birds are back. Expect when his young hatch he will become territorial again and hunt everybody.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Split from - Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by 0802 »

Have seen a few Sand Martins recently at the pond at Bunkers near the golf course and also over the pond at the quarry.

The quarry pond is very shallow just now not sure if they still drain it using that little pumping station, so much weed in there.