WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks to Bonzo we should perhaps add General EDMUND HENRY HYNMAN ALLENBY, Inspector General of Cavalry, who inspected the Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry at their Mill Farm, Ardrossan, camp on 25 July 1911.

General Allenby subsequently became T. E. Lawrence's commanding officer.

http://www.pbs.org/lawrenceofarabia/pla ... lenby.html

He was famously portrayed in the film, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, by Jack Hawkins.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Penny Tray wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:20 pm Thanks to Bonzo we should perhaps add General EDMUND HENRY HYNMAN ALLENBY, Inspector General of Cavalry, who inspected the Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry at their Mill Farm, Ardrossan, camp on 25 July 1911.
I must have missed something here. :roll:
pov99
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pov99 »

Some of the cast of the TV shows Tutti Frutti, Taggart, Still Game, The Deep, Emmerdale, Coming Soon (channel 4 1999) and Double Nougat.

The cast of the films The Stone Merchant, Late Night Shopping and Aberdeen.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Most famous person I've met, (kind of) was BobHope.
Me the wife and dog, went to the Bob Hope pro am at Turnberry many years ago.
We were out on the course when Gary Player came marching up to us waving his club shouting, get that dog of this course. (I've never liked him since)
So we went off the course to the road side and were standing there with no one near us.
We could hear a pipe band approaching, and as it passed by us there was a limousine just behind it
as it was passing us the rear window went down and Bob Hope stuck his head out and looked directly at us and said
“ This aint my regular band”
Idiot - seeks village.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

In 1842 and 1843 Henry, Lord Cockburn, Solicitor General for Scotland (1830-1834) and Rector of the University of Glasgow (1831-1834) visited Ardrossan. He wrote about it in his book Circuit Journeys.

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924024841060#page/n183

He's mentioned here too:
https://threetowners.net/forum/viewtopi ... rn#p153029
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I love his back-handed compliment -

"So Ardrossan is a town, and has a harbour.

There is no beauty in its own immediate neighbourhood. But no place on the Firth of Clyde can ever be without charm and interest, and until Arran shall be covered again by the waters it will always be delightful to look from Ardrossan"!
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Mitchy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:04 pm Got some great names in the pub last night from my Caledonian MacBrayne contact, 'Big Drew' who informed me of these people below who he can remember going onto the Arran Ferry.

ROYALTY - Princess Anne, Princess Caroline of Monaco.

TV, RADIO & SHOWBUSINESS - Hughie Green, Chris Evans, Billy Connolly, Gregor Fisher, Jackie Brambles, Alex Norton, Sue Pollard, Lorraine Chase, Dougie Donnelly, Patrick McNee, Robbie Coltrane

POLITICS - Alex Salmond, Jack McConnell, Donald Dewar, Edwina Currie

FOOTBALL: Craig Brown, Brian McClair, Ally McCoist, Barry Ferguson, Pat Nevin, Bobo Balde, and the entire Rangers team 4 years ago going over for a wedding.
I came across a Glasgow Herald article pin-pointing Princess Caroline's sail from Ardrossan to Brodick as 31 August 1978. She was on an extended honeymoon with her husband, Phillipe Junot, and going to visit Lady Jean Fforde at her "rambling mansion, Strabane, near Brodick."
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Came back across this topic today - some interesting posts. See from the start viewtopic.php?p=57494#p57494
josereyes
New Poster
New Poster

Post by josereyes »

I think it was way back in the late sixties/early seventies that my brother said to me that the Russian premier Kosigyin was visiting Hunterston power station. As he was interested in politics he drove us up the scoast road and we parked about half way between Ardrossan abd Seamill and then just waited. THere were no crowds We were in luck. After about 30 minutes we saw a motorcade coming and we both clearly saw Kosigyin sitting in the back of the big black limousine as it passed us,
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I was reading last night that the Duchess of Kent and Strathearn- (MOTHER OF QUEEN VICTORIA), travelling in a State carriage arrived at Ardrossan Harbour by train on the 15th of August 1851, en route to Brodick Castle.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
7 JULY 1911

VISCOUNT KITCHENER OF KHARTOUM TRAVELS FROM ARDROSSAN

Viscount Kitchener of Khartoum crossed from Ardrossan to Belfast last night by the R.M.S. WOODCOCK en route to Dublin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_K ... _Kitchener
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

27 SEPTEMBER 1910

Dr. Andrew Carnegie, famous philanthropist, visited Ardrossan en route to Belfast via the R.M.S. VIPER, in order to receive the Freedom of the City at the latter location.