Stevenston Water Works

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Stevenston Water Works

Post by Chico1968 »

Taken on a nice summer night in the early 80's,2 versions of the same shot of the old water works that were near Ardeer Golf Club,the base of which can still be seen from the Three Towns By-pass.One shot is the original and the other being cropped image.Taken from my own slide collection.
ImageDSC00206 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr

ImageDSC00206 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Stevenston Water Works

Post by Chico1968 »

I have a much better image of this somewhere,I must dig it out.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Spent all my childhood living in the Hayocks area of Stevenston in the 60's and early 70's Chico1968, and I remember the Waterworks well from walks 'Up the Country' with my pals at the time.

Older style pics like these will always have great nostalgic appeal to folk. :)
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Thanks Michael.I used to enjoy some great walks up there many moons ago.It's a shame a fine building like that was demolished.Any idea when it was demolished?I'm guessing mid to late 80's.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Chico1968 wrote:Any idea when it was demolished?I'm guessing mid to late 80's.
Couldn't say at the moment, Chico.
I moved away from that part of the town in the mid 80's and don't really recall much regarding any demolition date. Did a wee quick search online there but nothing's turned up as yet. Hopefully someone will be able to answer the question.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Oh stunning !!! Totally made my day. I believe the waterworks were no more by the late 1980s.

What I would like to know? The grey wall/boundary wall infront of the waterworks? Was that built as part of the waterworks? Or was that already there back in time? It is just a single wall running along, which is quite odd, because it seems like it should have been part of other walls? The way walled gardens were back in time?
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Hi Vivc113

I'm really pleased you like the pictures.

The remaining wall was indeed part of the waterworks.

A wee look at the site on Google Earth suggests possibly that the filtration beds may still be in situ to some degree,but I may be wrong in this.It's quite hard to come by any information on what was once an important building and landmark in the local area.

I've just realised that Ashgrove Loch on Google Earth looks very much dried out,so I imagine that it was used to feed the waterworks and has fallen into disuse on the closure of the works.I remember walking on the country roads nearby at the time of the pictures and remember there to be much more water than what is now apparent on Google Earth.Interesting to note that the Loch was once home to a Crannog,excavated in 1868.

Some interesting information on the Crannog can be found here.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=32433

Kind regards,

Charles
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Need to have a proper look at this on big computer Monday.

I knew about the crannog!! There may be treasures from Eglinton castle buried on that back road!!

I was asking about the waterworks at the heritage museum yesterday. Not a book to be had on the subject!!!!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Actually Viv I think you'll find that was treasure buried by the Knights Templars from Kilwinning Abbey. Must buy a metal detector.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

//funny //funny :hi:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Sorry to double post, but can anyone remember if "Private" signs were up and around the waterworks?

Judging by the google earth scene, one of the filtration beds is on farmland, which is accessible. A lane would nowadays run along the wall, and behind the old bed.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The water was piped down from local reservoirs and chlorinated. Ashgrove loch I don't think was ever used too much pollution. The Garnock was used until it failed the pollution tests. How do I know this well I was friendly with Jim Paterson who managed the works.