Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Saltcoats Spring (Mar 2001)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001

Hi everyone,
I've just been reading about "the shores" along which we all seem to have played. We used to go to Stevenston shore. The sandhills were great places to play and hide. I can remember the shallow water at the edge was always nice and warm!! And the rowing boats at Largs and the boating pond at Saltcoats. And sometimes we got to go to a show in the Pavilion. Does anyone remember when the pianist was there doing a marathon "piano-in" to get into the Guinness Book of Records. He played all day and night. I can't remember if he made it or collapsed with exhaustion!! [link] I also biked from Stevenston to Largs. We had just time to eat our lunch and head back in time for tea. I don't think I could do it now.

Now can any of you Saltcoats people tell me where the fresh-water spring is on the beach? It has a name which I'll get from my husband when he comes in from work. I've actually had a couple of drinks from it. So if ever there's a drought (!!!) you'll know where to go for a drink. I can't offer a prize for the first person to get it right, but it's at least a wee challenge for you all.

Jean Kelly

Think the spring on Saltcoats shore is opposite Melbourne terrace near an old cart that was buried in the sand that you could only see when the tide went out don't know the name of the spring though. Someone also mentioned the shore being so busy you could not get a place to sit I can also remember that and the ponies that were there they belonged to my uncle (JIMMY WHYTE) it was great for me I got to work with them and also got on them for nothing the hut that rented the deck chairs well in later years when I worked at the coal we used to go to big a house in Ardrossan opposite the plantation don't know the name of the street but its the road that runs down past south beach station anyway we went there with the coal lorry at the start of summer to pick up the big green hut and all the deck chairs and transport the whole lot down to the shore the last I heard of that hut it was in a backdoor in Fleming crescent (Saltcoats) being use as a garage. Afraid I don't think we will ever see the days of a crowded shore and deckchairs all over the place again but our town still has plenty to offer so would urge anyone from outside to give it a visit.
jim.barr.(blakjak50)

Hi everyone,
This site is costing me a fortune in overseas calls! My father-in-law is 88 and his mind is amazing. He remembers all sorts of things from way back. Anyway, the spring on the beach at Saltcoats (and congrats to everyone who got the answer right, I didn't realise it was so well known) is called "the mine mooth". The one in the plantation was called the "mineral well". Going into the plantation from Caledonia Road, and walking straight ahead as if going to the station, the house (which sold the water) was situated about 20-30 yards to the left. He says the spring was under the house and is the same spring as the one on the beach.

He is going to try and find out why the "ham and egg close" is so named. One of his cronies seemingly is a mine of information, and if he doesn't know, then we never will!! He said to ask if anyone remembers the "Sand Artist" (I don't). His name
was Dick Smales and he used to sculpt figures (e.g. the last supper) from the sand. It seems he made his living this way, and was photographed by the newspapers. I don't know when he was around, it could be way back.

If any of this has already been posted, please excuse the repetition. I've only been visiting the site for 3 weeks, and have probably missed a lot of what has gone before.

Jean Kelly