Ghost Stories (Jan 2001)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ghost Stories (Jan 2001)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001

Hi Margaret, the only spooky story I know of Ardrossan Castle is, if you go there when it is thundering and the lightening is flashing there may be a slim chance you may see the ghost of Sir William Wallace, who slaughtered a group of English men in ' Wallaces Larder ' a chamber under the ' Reid Tower '. I never managed to be up the hill in the storms, Did anyone ? Ardrossan Castle is my favourite place in the three towns and would love more stories about it, it is also my hobby.
Regards to all
Sandra

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001

One of the ''castle ghost'' stories was that there was a ''heidless piper'' who had the boring job of marching from the castle dungeon along a tunnel which was supposed to go from the castle to the ''Auld Keep'' up at Montfode farm [ the keep ruins are still there] the fact that the piper was heidless and would experience great difficulty
''blawin the pipes'' never occurred to us boys and girls. This must be quite an old tale as my mother sayed she heard it from her mother .
Jim.

To: <threetowners@ topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001

Every now and again, a young lad, aged about 16, dressed as a miner, walks down Boglemart Street, and across the garage forecourt, usually at dead of night, before disappearing towards Hillside Street.

There was also a house in Hillside Street that was being plagued by strange goings-ons, beds shaking violently, footsteps, even the wean in the house ran to 'it' with arms raised ready for a carry, but nobody else could see it. The house was eventually blessed and the visits ceased, at least until the occupants moved out. Legend has it that there was a bad mine disaster around there and not all of the bodies were recovered. Also, the site was not properly blessed, or whatever it is that should be done, at the time.

Peter
Peter E Dawkins (Sec)
Howie Genealogy Society