who went up the Cannon hill on a moonlight night
and told ghost stories till they ''wur scaired''
who munched a Murchies breed roll filled with Lothians sausage
who stood in ''the plaza'' amid awe the steam waitin fur their fish and chips
who dived affa ''big Jumbo''[ intae that freezin water]
who ate sandy sandwiches up the north shore
who ''biled wulks'' in a tin can
who bought dolly mixtures in ''The Toll''
who listened tae ''wee Fearless'' shoutin at a Winton Rovers/Saltcoats Vics match
who envied Miss Tervets moustache
who saw ''wee Beanie'' walk up and doon Glesca street aw night with her
whole earthly belongings stuffed inside her coat.
who saw the ''hero's'' jump affa Jerries pier
who got cawd ''Sir'' and ''glared'' at by snobby Daddy Gibson[ Heidmaister at Eglinton school]
who played in the ''Plantin'' behind Vernon Terrace and Eglinton School.

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001

Hi Jim,
We seemed to have lived parallel life's in Ardrossan. I can relate to all you said but you must be a couple of years older than me 'cause Mr Gibson was the heidmaster at Eglinton when I was still at the wee school (Winton Primary) where Miss Macilwraith ruled the roost. Funny thing I can still picture Mr Gibson maybe because at lunchtime Eglinton staff and pupils came to the dinning hall at Winton.

I remember your family at Clyde Terrace and the day everyone moved in there. The Townsley family a few doors down from you had sub-let with us and we helped them move in that day. Robbie Townsley was a gentleman and kept us youngsters laughing. I definitely remember your Norma and a younger brother, Ian I think it was.

Hugh McCallum

To: <threetowners>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001

Fearless as I recall lived up the top end of Blakely road or there abouts, and myself, Don Gibson, Con and Dominic Bourke and John Jackson all lived down Campbell park end (I lived in James miller crescent, closest house to the park). Fearless used to terrorise us every time there was a match on, and to find him described as wee just blows holes in my horror stories. Next you'll be saying the Stevenston dummy never really existed.

We used to collect as many ginger bottles as possible after the game and take them along to Albert Smetts shop, he would only pay us for the bottles with corks in them. The biggest drama was getting the bottles before the Stevenston dummy arrived at the park.

so just to jog everybody's memories Fearless was eight feet tall, ate lost children for breakfast his pram was full of treasure and he could scare the guy standing on the war memorial.
Tony.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001

A couple of ''Fearless'' memories; arriving by bus at Kilbirnie for a Jun. cup game
Fearless was first off, marching in a very determined manner up to three polis [glesses askew] glaring up at them informing them with the legend,,,WEVE ARRIVED!
My last memory was seeing him walk ''slowly'' up the ''middle of the road'' in Canal St pushing his pram and a 'convoy' of A1 buses and cars in a traffic jam that went back to Stevenston cross.,,,,,,God weren't we lucky to have such ''eccentrics'' [ and characters] in the Three Toons. Here in New Zealand, eccentricity is NOT allowed. Gosh the mention of the ''Stevenston Dummy'' dredged up a few memories I personally think he was born with a bag on his back.
Jim.

Jim & Tony,
It's good to hear you referring to "Fearless" with a certain kind of endearment 'cause you could say he was part of our larger family. My late brother Jim was married to his youngest daughter Susan Crawford - a lovely lassie. Susan was a top scholar at Ardrossan Academy, that would have been in the early 50s. I remember brother Jim sending me with a message to the Crawford home which was the last cottage on the right in Seabank Street before you cross the railway bridge to the Slabs. John (Fearless) was well behaved at home - he had to be, wee Kate his wife ruled the roost. They later moved to the flats on Guthrie Brae.

The story goes that he had a bad accident at Troon shipyard some years before which was why he was that way he was, but I can't vouch for that. I recall a photo in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats herald with 'Fearless' Looking up at a very tall policeman and the caption was something like "Can I never meet one my own size". I must admit he must have been a wee bit scary to the children, but he certainly was a character and will be remembered when all us shy introverts are gone.

Hugh McCallum

Re: "fearless" I remember " Fearless' too. Always felt sorry for the poor soul! I wasn't alarmed, as such. I recall my dad saying it was the result of an accident. he was Saltcoats' son ,I share your sentiment of him.
Sheena