Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Lost Touch (Jan 2001)

Post by Archivist »

Lost Touch
To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001

Hi Hugh

Great topic for this week and I'm sure it will bring memories flooding back. I was at Stevenston High School and left in 1963 and lived in McGregor Avenue then the Hayocks Road area in Stevenston.

Would love to know if our friends on-line know anyone from the time I was there (1952 to 1963). Lost contact with everyone that was at school with me.

Ewan

Great subject you've chosen this time Hugh:
I would be glad to hear from anyone who (for good or bad) can remember me, but here are a few dates to go by:

St Marys: 1953 -55
St Michaels 1955 - 57
GPO 1958-1960

All Melbourne Cafe friends. (Among others Jim Hamilton)

A few names to mention:

Kenneth Kelly
Patricia (nee) McGee
Hector McDougall
Any of the Jim Shields (Greengrocer in both Raise St, Saltcoats and Glasgow St. Ardrossan) family.

Hi Tony
I tried to write to you a few weeks ago and the message obviously did not get to you. Iw was at St Micks from 1955-59. Fellow classmates from Saltcoats were Tommy Burns, Bobby Lennox, Jim Cassidy, Helen Reid, Catherine Hainey to name a few. Also met your Cousin Des a couple a weeks ago on the low level train from Glasgow (East end) and he passes on his good wishes.
Peter Bird.

Peter, I went to St. Michaels a couple of years after you left, but I'm sure I know you....we may have been friends many years ago. At that time, as I recall, your circle of friends included Bobby Lennox, Robert Maxwell, Joe Murray?? Helen Reid's father was brother to my uncle Martin Reid; Catherine Hainey used to walk me to St. Mary's (when I was MUCH younger). If you are not the same Peter Bird, hi anyway.......

Marie Reid (formerly Morrison of Saltcoats)

Hi Peter,
I think I must have gone to St. Michaels around the same time as you as Bobby Lennox is my cousin and we are the same age. I certainly knew Jim Cassidy, he was in my class but must admit I cant remember your name.

Isabella Ashurst
(nee Lennox)

Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001

Regarding Marie Reid (Morrison) who replied to Peter Bird's message. I'm sure there was a Marie Morrison from Saltcoats in my year at St Michael's. (Others from Saltcoats were, among others, Tommy McCann And James (aka Stan) McCann) PS to Peter I think the TV shop had another name before 'Radio Rentals' but maybe I'm getting mixed up with another shop nearer to 'Joe Rankins.

Any threetowners out there who went to St John's Primary (Stevenston) '55 -'62, or St Michael's '62 - 68? I'd love to hear from you! If you remember me, my sister Elise or Margaret Brayford please get in touch!
Morag Black (nee Rogers)

I often wondered whatever became of John MacFarlane, son of headmaster Bunty who attended St Michael's with me between 1960 and 1966. Also John Milgrew (Pirnmill Road or thereabouts) at same time.

Any information appreciated.
Thanks
Tom Cassidy

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001

Is there anyone out there who attended Auchenharvie Academy in Stevenston from 1970-76? Especially anyone who participated in the school exchange to Montreal in "75 (or was it "74?) I ended up moving to Montreal and have lived here for the past 22 years.
Regards,
Anne Hammersley (now Thomas)

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001

Did anyone attend Laighdykes Primary prior to it becoming St Andrews Academy in Saltcoats between 1964 - 1970 Did anyone attend Ardrossan Academy between 1970 - 75.

If you know the name Alec Wilkie drop us a line. I'm now living in Sydney - Australia and would love to hear from any of the old schoolies from that era.

Best Wishes to everyone on the 3T's for 2001

Alec Wilkie

Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001

I was at Auchenharvie from 1970-1976 but I don't think I was in your year. I don't even remember the Montreal exchange. I must have been asleep! I remember the school being built as I spent 1st year at Stevenson High School and we all ended up doing some of the packing.

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001

Is there anyone out there who attended Ardrossan Academy 1958 - 1961? Or Kyleshill School/Auchenharvie House (when the school burned down) between 1951 - 1958? I know you were at Kyleshill Sally O, I haven't forgotten previous conversations, and by the way where are you, you're very quiet Sally.

I am Betty Woodland nee Mc Clure my brother's name was Jim and my sisters name is Marie.
regards Betty, South Australia.

To: threetowners
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001

Hi Betty
Just wondered if you are the Betty Mclure who worked in the factory. She was in the Gaslers I.C.I. around 1961--1963 I'm Margaret Mccubbin from Ardrossan married to John Gemmell from Irvine If you are the same person I would have met you when I first came out to Australia in 1965. I met you through Whitman Savage who used to play football. He was a fitter in the wire shop. If your not please respond as I will always wonder. By the way I live in Safety Beach Victoria..
Margaret
xx

Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001

Hi Margaret,
You mentioned Whiteman Savage from Kilwinning, I met up with Whiteman (Bill) Savage at our local club here a few months ago, we'd not seen each other for over thirty years. His brother is also a member of the club and his family live in our town. Bill was formerly married to Betty McEwan from Stevenston who worked in the wire shop and (doon the dets) with my Betty! They were our sponsors back in 1964 when we first came to Oz. Bill is on-line.

Another family here in our town from the area is the Bigham family from Ardrossan I only discovered this when I noticed a car driving around the town with one of those Sunday Mail stickers in the back window. "I'm a Real Scot from Ardrossan" that was some time ago.

Hugh McCallum

To: <threetowners>
Date: Saturday, 20 January 2001

Hi! Margaret, I did indeed work in the factory, in the wire shop as a plugger and a coiler and then in the old wire shop and for a short time I was in the fuse head and then DL4 before I got married in 1966 just before we came to Aussie. I worked there from 1961 - 1966. My sister Marie worked there two years before I did in 1959/60. Simce I didn't come to Aussie until 1966 I wonder if it is Marie you remember because I don't remember a Whitman Savage. She came out a couple of years before I did. She lives at Mt Martha in Victoria now and I live in Port MacDonnell in South Australia. Please keep intouch anyway.
warm regards Betty