Bookies - Turf Accountants (Jan 2001)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Bookies - Turf Accountants (Jan 2001)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001

I remember taking my dad, s bookies line to Willie Edger , he used to stand on the corner of New England Road & Dalry Road. I can remember it being 3 tanner doubles & a tanner treble. This was before Willie moved up to behind the Garage off Dalry Road, which used to be a piggery before the garage. I never remember going back to Willie on the corner to collect any winnings. I also remember that when Willie Edger stamped your betting line he never checked it but mores to the point he never changed the time on the stamp, a few of the lads would take a bet there at 3.30 with all the winners of the previous races on it, it didn't last long but we where rich for a while.

Gus Morrison.

Happy new Year tae ye a'
I seem to remember a " Turf Accountant " that my Uncle Jimmy used... Can't give his exact location but it was down a hill going toward Stevenston from my Aunt's Place in Kerelaw Road.. I was quite a wee Bairn at the time. It seemed like a pathway down the brae towards the centre of Stinson. I believe he had a wooden or some sort of artificial leg. Anyway if Uncle Jimmy had a good win we Nephews also benefited by way of a Bob or if a guid win maybe even two bob! Mind you as I recall that wisney tae often!!
John

As an apprentice in the Ardrossan Shipyard I had to take the bets up at lunchtime to the Bookies at the Plazza in Glasgow Street. After 3 months not a horse came 1st 2nd or 3rd and the men reckoned I was a jinx because I went to the Nazarene so they wouldn't let me put the bets on after that. Bob

Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001

John,
I remember it well it was situated just down from Post Office. It is where the health center is now. The bookies name was Bobby can't remember his second name but I think he did have a wooden leg . Next door to it was Donnely's grocer shop.Hope that someone else can tell me who was next door. I know that 25 yards further down was The White Hart, Douglas's, Halbert's garage, Scott's cafe, Cambell's licence grocer and then the butchers.

Tommy Hanlon

Thanks Tommy.....you are right his name was Bobby! I knew as soon as I read your email ....it all came back. Your description of the various businesses I can remember some of them particularly the White Hart as that was also where Uncle Jimmy went if he had a big win...and often when he didn't as well! either to celebrate or commiserate!)

Thanks again Tommy
Regards John

John,
The question is: who was your uncle Jimmy ? I may know him as I also frequented the bookies and the White Hart. Would I be right in saying that Tommy Hood was the manager of the W.H and Douglas's.

Tommy

To: Threetowners

My best memories of 'bookies' was as a young teenager being able to secretly 'run' for a bookie called Mat Taylor (he always wore a 'Pa Broon' type of cap) who used to stand on the corner of Raise Street and Factory Lane (Place?) He later took over the old bakeries at the bottom of Raise Street. It was still illegal and we had to keep a sharp eye open for the 'Polis'. I wonder how many times they were bundled into vehicles and driven to Green St. Bailed out and then back on the streets again. Then the rotters spoiled it all by legalising the business. Those were the days.

Regards and a Happy New Year to all

Tony McGuire

No apologies for repeating this wee story by by James Clements (Stevenston)

In the 1920s three young men devised a scheme to try to beat the Bookie. Before the advent of legalised betting, bets were lifted by the bookie's runner at the street corner. Bets for each race were placed in a canvas bag which had a locking and timing device. James (Lauder Burns) Byron was the bookie's runner for Mitchell, operating from the foot of the Schoolwell Street, and usually took his time from the Parish Church Clock. The scheme got up by the three punters was, in the middle of the night, they gained access to the Kirk and proceeded to the belfry and put the clock back ten minutes and at five minutes to two on the Town Clock they placed their bet as they already knew the winner, as the proper time was five past two o'clock. This ploy would have succeeded, but the shift buses from Ardeer Factory gave the game away, as they were at the 'Brig' before the clock struck two.

Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001

Re Turf Accountants
The bookies name was Robert Roe and he was the quickest bookie in the world at writing out a line. He was the only one that could read it. Tommy, other shops at the same location were Parks the baker. Allisons wallpaper and DIY store and next to the bookies was a TV shop (Radio Rentals?)
pb