Raise Street (Oct 2000)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Raise Street (Oct 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000

I remember a butchers shop near the bottom of Raise Street. The butcher was a gentleman called Mr Nisbet (Nesbit??). My mother got all her meat there and there was always a sweetie for me when I went in with her. I also recall a street sweeper who was a small man and who cleaned Raise Street. He had a bad limp as one leg was much shorter than the other. I remember him touching the skip of his cloth cap as he greeted a woman and he always greeted my every morning on my way to school with a "good morning sonny boy." I never ever knew his name, and I often wondered what happened to him. Everyone one on the neighbourhood seemed to know him. Maybe someone out there also remembers him. Coming from Kyleshill I
always used to see him near to the butchers, pushing his cleaning wagon and using his extremely large brush. I think there was also a shop called Donaldsons close to Nellany's the bookies which sold all sorts of things from puncture kits for bicycles to screws and the like.

But could someone perhaps throw some light on the piece of ground next to this shop, going up towards Kyleshill school. I vaguely remember it being behind some boarding and the person who worked there seemed to be involved with go - karts, as I remember my father taking me there but being very young I was a bit scared to get into the kart. Can anyone throw some light on these issues? Many thanks.
Paul.

Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000

I remember the billboards, but I can't remember what was behind them. I bought my first skates at Donaldson's, which was next to the corner bakers where we used to buy halfpenny and penny buns on the way to Kyleshill School.
regards Betty Woodland.

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 2:04 AM

Right next to Kyleshill School was a garage and next to that behind the billboards was Simmonds' the slaterers, he was the local chimney sweep as well. Mary Burns on Raise St was quite a character, I remember her stopping me on my way to school and asking, " can ye tell me the time oan the steeple, ah canny see as ma hauns are aw black leed". Love this topic. Lea Birnie

Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000

Just sticking around that Kyleshill - Raise Street area. (Dad was born at Kyleshill) Anyhoo when I worked in Baillies butchers in Raise Street as a message boy Circa 1957 we had on occasions to go to the Slaughter House in Parkend Road and wheel a beast (cow carcass) back to the shop and hoist it with the block and tackle for viewing to the customers. I can just see us now trying to control it coming down the brae alongside the station. The head butcher was Jim Brown who lived in the New England housing scheme. His speciality was rump steak paste which was very popular. He guarded his recipe well and I don't think even head office in Dockhead Street knew his formula. I didn't last long there 'cause you had to work all day Saturday and I wanted to go to the fitba in the city. My furthest delivery was to a houses close to the Shell Mex entrance at the North Shore Ardrossan.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000

Oh Hugh my mouth started watering when I read what you wrote, "rump steak paste" it WAS DELICIOUS it then set me off thinking about "potted head" I loved that too. Now don't go telling me what was in the potted head Hugh, leave me with my lovely memories. There was a slaughter house next to Kyleshill wasn't there.
regards Betty

Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000

I well remember the shops Thomas Logan was talking about especially the one on the corner of Glebe St (I have lived in no.9 ) and Springvale street. An elderly couple were running/owned it at the time. I remember that the man, I was scared of him had some sort of infliction. I remember quite well how his hands were bad and that he had quite a limp. He always wore old brown corduroy trousers. I wonder if he ever took them off to be washed! One weekend my elder brother and his friend came to visit us and I was sent out to buy a bottle of Ir'n Bru at the cafe Thomas was talking about Gannelis that must have been on the corner of Argyle St./Wellpark Rd?. Anyway believe it or not I was given a fiver to buy the Ir'n Bru with and that was lot of money in those days and I damn well lost it. I was really scared to go home. It was a nightmare. So if you happened to have found it Thomas I would appreciate it if you sent it back.

In another e-mail someone mentioned the betting shop on the corner of Raise St. I remember also when that was the bakery that Betty was talking about. I loved to go into the bake-house at 6.o'clock to buy their warm rolls straight from the oven.

Tony McGuire

Hello Hugh,
Your mention of the slaughter house reminded me of when I was a boy of 14, I wanted a summer job during the school holidays. I got a job at Robertson's Pork Store in Windmill Street. My first job was to hang up the plucks (the insides of a pig all in one piece) I had to go in the 'big fridge' which was as big as a room. While hanging them up from a bin full and still warm, the first one slipped and ran down my arm and round my neck. I came out of the fridge covered in blood. The boss said to me 'I told you the job was messy. Do you still want it?' Not only did I want it, after school went back in, I did Saturday mornings 6am till 10am. I got promoted to linking sausages and pressing cooked ham!!!!!!!
Sorry if my description made anybody feel squeemish.

While there I met a man who worked there who was deaf and dumb and had an artificial hand. Does anybody remember him? One day he was out on his bike and just passing where I was walking and his hand fell off. did I get a fright? You bet I did. Actually he was a very nice and kind person.
David Young.

Hi David,
I think at the time I was a message boy 1956 or '57 a friend of mine Jimmy Rice was the message boy at Robertson's Ham Curers across the road from the Regal car park If I recall correctly. Jimmy lived in Auchenharvie road. Wouldn't be surprised if Tony in Denmark remembers him. As for visiting the slaughter house I hated it and yes Betty it was very close to Kyleshill
School.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000

Does anyone remember the ice cream factory in Seabank Street? When I lived in Kyleshill my mother used to send me down every Sunday, late morning, with a large jug to buy ice cream. It was fantastic ice cream, but I have to agree that Ganelli's ice cream was probably the best. Talking about shops etc, I reckon the best rolls ever made anywhere, were those from Howies. I cannot remember if Howie was the baker by the time I came along, but the recipe was never passed on. It went to the grave along with the baker. Listening to you old timers talk about the Castlecraigs reminded me of bands like Pickety Witch that played there in my time. However by the early to mid Seventies the New Year dance at Castlecraigs had a bit of a bad reputation. I also remember bands like Cato St Conspiracy playing at The Kilmeny on Saturday nights.