Church and Religion (Dec 2000)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Church and Religion (Dec 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2000

When I was a very little boy I remember my friend and I watching a man filling holes in a door with putty and then painting it green. It was the door to Nixon's Old Showrooms in Union Street. My friend and I picked all the putty out when the man went away but he came back and caught me. Took me o my mother but instead of telling on me he asked if I went to Sunday school. It was just after the war and mum had my little brother to look after. The man then said I should come to the Baptist church Sunday School, the door of which he had just been painting. And that was my first Sunday School.
Over the years I tried many including the Salvation Army in Manse Street When I got older I joined the Church of Scotland at Landsborough Church next to the Mission Coast Home. A lovely big red sandstone building. It was eventually knocked down and now the Labour Social club stands on the site. I was in London at the time and my 'lines' were transferred to a Church in Hamilton Street which I had never been inside. So I had them transferred to London Crown Court Church of Scotland. Where I go to this day.
A lot of people went to North Parish on the High Road where my mother went until the day she died.I always go there when ever I am in Saltcoats. The wife of one of the former ministers of Crown Court used to call me an ecumenical tourist. I like to have everybody's point of view. Not a bad idea!!!!!.Especially when you live in London with Bhudists, Muslims, Hindus and all the rest.
David Young

My first memory of religion was my huge Children's Bible which used to give me nightmares with the pictures in it!! We went to the North Parish church, and when we were young and supposed to go to Sunday School, we preferred to sneak into Church to watch the organist! We were amazed at the antics of this man as he seemed to have rubber arms and legs to be able to reach the peddles and keys of the organ. Then when I was older, I was sure every sermon that was given was aimed entirely at me and I was sure the minister stared straight at me while his voice got louder and I was sure that in some way, God had told the minister everything I had done wrong that week and that was what his sermons were based on! I also remember all the kids in the street getting dressed up in their fancy suits and white dresses and veils one day to go to their church and I was quite upset and thought I was being cheated because my church didn't do that. I never understood it was because I never went to Catholic church, I thought my mum was just being mean and not letting me have fun with everyone else!!

Lynda, You sparked off a memory with the North Parish Church!. I used to feel exactly the same as you did. Does anyone remember Mr Price?. He was a dead ringer for Ian Paisley (Ireland). He had eyes that used to burn through you. When we went to the E.U Congregationalist (Union St) we always got a new summer straw hat every year. Looking back now, it seems crazy. We were short on food but still got hats!

Hi David, I went to the Salvation Army in Manse St. for a couple of years. I still have my Salvation Army Bible from Sunday school. I was given it for getting 102 points out of 104. I loved that place. I remember the Blacks who used to go there. The man who caught you with the putty was a very wise man!! Sally O xxx

To: <hewmac@primus.com.au>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000

Hi.. When small I attended St. Cuthberts Church of Scotland. I went to the "Rosebuds"Later when around 5 my sister dragged me off to The Baptist Church held in Union Street] Her best friends went there and B] she wanted to join the Campaigners Youth group. From then on my family went to the Baptist Church and moved with them to the new premises on Ardrossan Rd.-South Beach Baptist. The good thing I remember about the new premises was it was close to the beach. My Mum would drop me off for Sunday School and I'd sneak out the side door to go play on the Swings at the 'front'. I'd be back in time for the end of Church. I've know idea if they caught on, know one mentioned it. I was very involved with the Uniformed youth movement the Campaigners and went through rank eventually becoming the leader of the younger boy section "Junos"
I loved the Architect of the South Beach Church-used to house the "Wee Free'! The Stained windows were beautiful. I was so sad they took them out during modernisation-I guess the cost of maintenance was too great! But a sad loss! We had a really good Youth group and attracted a number of other youth [from the Salvation Army, I believe]. The house next to the church was the manse of the ' weeFree' A number of our church group ment there for fellowship and fun! Those were happy days!
Sheena Jarvis.

Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000

Andrew Killin sent me the following:

I can "claim" the fame for authorship. I wrote it for a 1st Ardrossan Boys Brigade Burns supper which we held in the Barony Church in 1982. I was an officer with the company at the time It was shortly after my father died and I suppose I was feeling a bit sentimental. I suppose that I have been sentimental about the area ever since as I have worked abroad (in some pretty horrible places too) for most of the time since '82. By all means feel free to copy or pass it on to anyone who might like it.

The Town that I Knew

Where's the Ardrossan that I used to know?
Brown's and MacDonald's, Mitchell's Dairy, the Co.
Where's the auld shipyard, where as kids we would hide?
That once built the ships that were pride o' the Clyde,
Where is the town that I knew?

Where is Brent's and the Medway as well?
Tales o' the Metlox to you all I could tell
Containerway Services, they have gone too
Like Western busses, all their men on the buroo
Where is the work we once knew?

Where's the town station, the steam train's quaint smell?
The bricks o' the gas works, they've long since fell.
Where is the Lion and all the ships that would berth?
Bringing their produce from all o'er the Earth
Where is the trade we once knew?

Where's the green fields and days full of sun?
Where we'd play as kids and make our own fun.
Harvies Park, Stanley farm, they're all in our dreams
They've filled the good land with council house schemes
Where is the countryside that we knew?

Where are the folks that I knew when small?
They've all grown to be adults, the short and the tall.
Where are the folks, we kids how they'd scold?
I suddenly notice they look smaller and old
Where are the folks that I knew?

And yet all these changes don't matter at all
When I see the folks assembled here in this hall
And this town Ardrossan, will aye be allright
Aye as long as there's folks like you here tonight.

Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000

Subject: Re: [3T] North Parish Church
Okay forget what I just sent. Having looked more into it I come up with this. Re Meeting rooms of early Saltcoats Catholics. Although the latter moved to Ardrossan Road. They had originally met in a hall on Bradshaw Road off Dockhead Street Saltcoats. The Church then moved to Lady of the Sea R.C. church in 1856.

The Ardrossan Catholic Church-St Peters. Now I'm not sure the actual date of it opening. It was a previous Site of The Earl of Eglinton's "The Pavillion", his Summer residency. It was demolished in 1936.So I guess that wont help you much Sheila!

The North Parish had several places of occupation over the years. The latter being on the corner of Caledonia Road. Known as St. Cuthberts Church of Scotland. Their previous Halls- one was on what is now the Salvation Army Hall on Manse Street. then moved to the corner of Hamilton St. and Manse Street, near the' War Memorial' and according to records, demolished in the seventies. Now the site of Safeways'. The South Beach Church I find was known as the Free Church of Scotland [ or Wee Free', as they're known!] It later moved to the Church near the Kyleshill School.

This seems more accurate than my previous recollection. But probable not much help to you Sheila, Have you tried contacting Ardrossan Libary. They are the local authority and have access to loads of documentation. Contact Jill McColl. Hopefully that'll help.
Sheena.

To:<threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000

Our Lady Star of the Sea.
That was my church in Saltcoats. The Catholic church in Ardrossan Rd. One of the most memorable thing was the way the congregation split up after Mass. One half of us made a bee-line for the Melbourne Cafe while the other more devoted would sip a quiet coffee at the West End Cafe.
As a youngster I will always remember when once a month we were 'marched' from St Mary's school along Springvale place through the Manse to Manse St. and then past the war memorial to Ardrossan Road and the church there to be met with what I always thought was an accusing look by the feared and revered CANON O'CONNELL. He held confessions for us kids, not in the privacy of the confessional box but sat on one of the pews where we waited to take our turn to reveal all (well nearly) having already place our bets as to who was going to take the longest. Then after receiving our 'penance' the canon would pat (almost slap) us on the side of the face to let us know that at least for the next couple of hours we were little angels. We would leave with trembling legs, a great sigh of relief and make our way back to school.

Tony McGuire

Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000

Hello everyone, i also went to st Marys for confessions and communion and I can remember holding my partners hand as we left to walk up and over the gaswork brae. my partners were usually peter Anderson or terry Milligan and we would walk as good as gold until we reached a part of the structure that once was a doorway and dive into it and hide until the rest of the classes were well and truly round the corner and then we would sneak down the path that took you into the train station and head for woollies, in there we would browse and spend enough time until we thought that the class would be due out, we would watch for them and then head for home, pretending to my dad that I had been at chapel. But really what else could you expect from a scruff from the bungalows. I must admit i practiced a few religions because i was very fond of going to the star inn as well on Monday nights they would welcome you in and you could praise the lord and then receive a smashing cup of tea and a bun. I only really went there in the winter as in the summer weather my other place of worship was sunshine corner on the shore front,
and i can still remember the songs that we sang as well. on a Sunday there was a free bus from Guthrie road to the salvation army in manse street and i also went there, but the best bit was after sunshine corner was finished we would collect all the ginger bottles that we could carry and take them to Mario's in canal street and cash them in, run over to the chippie and get a bag of chips and two pickled onions, absolutely brilliant especially when your starving hungry. but alas Mario must have begun to wonder why he had more bottles than he could fit in the crates so he had the great idea of putting an M on the label of the bottles and once when we went in his assistant Isa Smith (god rest her) took great delight in telling us that they were not Mario's bottles, well we were well huffed nae chips and us starving, but never fear we got a pen marked the labels with an M and waited till Isa finished her shift took the bottles back complete with an M cashed them in and after a long wait got our chips. Did anyone ever go to veronicas with embassy coupons or had you forgotten about that or were you better off than this wee scruff from the bungalows.
writing all this has made me smile. Isa Smith would have loved to have slapped us especially when she realised that we had outfoxed her again.

Oh Yes indeed Mildred! I remember those embassy coupons. My mum had a pile of
them. I also frequented The Star Inn. They had some great meetings. Also remember the Sunshine corner! Do you remember the S.C.E hut at the far end of the beach? Some folks from Glasgow used to come down for a mission and had games ,quizzes and singing. They always threw out sweets to those that got the right answers. It's sad that the kids now a days don't experience some of the fun we
did .Kept you getting bored during the holidays. Now it's all down to spending money on slot machines and mini fairs. As for the money back on Lemonade bottles -they were better than money in the bank. If you were short a bob or two it was great to go dig for the bottles and get money back on it.Even when I lived up in Glasgow and shared a flat with some friends .Those lemonade bottles kept us fed! Sheena

To: "Three Towners" <threetowners@topica.com>

Dear David I lived next door to the Baptist Church, and also went there for Sunday School, and I remember the green door. I was a Juno, Inter, and Craftsman in the girls organisation, which was a bit like the guides, but was only run by Baptist Churches. I'm not sure if there was something for the boys, but I dare say there was.
I too ended up at the North Parish Church, and in fact was married there, before we left for OZ. when did you attend the Baptist Church. It was a lay preacher Mr Jackson, who preached before there eventually was a Minister. I too have an eclectic view of "religions" perhaps it was the Baptist beginnings.
regards Betty Woodland

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000

Dear David, Betty.I too was in the Campaigners, as was my sister Wendy. We both worked our way up to leadership, Wendy was Juno Chief-girls, I was Juno leader for the boys. Wendy was very friendly with Marion Jackson. I believe the boy{Ian I think] died in an auto accident several years ago leaving a young family. Were you in the Campaigners when Betty Martin and Jean Harper were leaders? [Jean died this past year!] Actually the Campaigners were of different churches and scattered all over Scotland and eventually England. We went to a week long 'camp' in July, usually housed in a School gym. They were great fun for the kids but later as a leader I realised just what we put the poor leaders through!
Sheena [nee Stewart] Jarvis.

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000

My first contact with the church from what I remember was at around the age of 6 or 7 when my mothering big sister spruced brother Bobby and me up to attend the Sunday School at the Barony Church at South Beach Ardrossan. Next she dragged us across to the McDowall Avenue side of Whitlees Crescent where there was a regular Salvation Army meeting for us kids in the living room of the Clark(e) residence.

Later lacking direction it was the Seamans Mission in Seaton Street with my pals and also Jock Trodden's Gospel Hall in Glasgow Street. There we would sing with gusto "My cups full and running over" with all the hand actions competing against each other and getting the occasional clout on the face. Betty and I were married in the Livingstone Church at Stevenston where she was a regular. Funny thing she attended our local church here in Oz with two sisters who turned out to be relatives of mine. My ancestor remained in Scotland while their ancestor (my ancestor's brother) came here in the 1860s.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000

Dear Sheena, yes Jean Harper was there when I was, there was also a Miss Knotman who got married and we Junos were the guard of honour for her and her man. Her married name escapes me. I remember going to Miss Harpers house once where she lived with her mother, I had to practice a song that I was singing somewhere. I was shown into a room, and left on my own for a considerable time, whilst she went off to do something. I vaguely remember the name Martin. I remember going to Brodick for a camp once, and filling my palliase with straw for my b ed. Do you remember how we had to fold our blankets etc and have inspection? I remember making a jewel box with gathered shells stuck on the top.
Oh the memories we evoke when we get a thread eh!
regards Betty

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000

Hi! Miss Knotman, became Betty Martin, [Married Rev. Oliver Martin,] They live in the 'high rise', flats in the Glebe. What you say about Jean, does not surprise me. [It was probably the ineffable" cup of tea!" It was when I visited.] As for the box with the shells I did one when I was an inter under Betty's leadership. I guess it was a good stand by.
I remember we went to Arbroath once on camp. We girls were always in to something or other, [drove the leaders nuts!] We saved for a big midnight feast and thought we'd got away with it. We stuffed ourselves on sweets, strawberries, cake and 'pop. Just when we got to the" I can't move state", there was a knock on the door. There stood Betty, looking her usual stern look! We thought we were in for it! Then she pulled this cake from behind her back to add to our feast, unfortunately none of us could face it. You just never knew with Betty!
As for those blankets. I hated inspections I never could get that blanket right. Plus they were so harsh! But they were good days and always a lark, [at least as girls] Now being a leader, well that's another point of view!
Good to hear from you.Sheena.