Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Horse Troughs (May 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000
Subject: [3T] Horse Troughs

I tried to think where all the horse troughs were in the three towns. I can only remember one in Ardrossan between the Castle Craigs and the WW2 Memorial. Can't remember any in Saltcoats or Stevenston. Where were they?

Hugh McCallum

Subject: Re: [3T] Horse Troughs

I have a vague recollection of there being one in the vicinity of Caledonia Road.
Regards Betty

Subject: Re: [3T] Horse Troughs

If my memory serves me right the horse trough was situated at Stevenston Cross. I am nearly100% sure.

Tommy Hanlon

Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000
Subject: [3T] Horse troughs

There was a trough at the end of Ardrossan road. It was next to the telephone box, which was beside the pillar box across from the War Memorial.

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 10:19 AM

A long time ago and far, far away horse troughs were essential. It was a time of petrol rationing, a time when houses were heated by coal fires. There were two (that I can remember) coal merchants in town; McCallum and Borland. They would deliver the coal, when available, in horse-drawn carts. Coal was in short supply, due to the war, so substitutes were available. Jimmy White, in happier times would have ponies on the shore during the summer, for the summer visitors, but he also delivered 'briquettes' which burned well and gave off a good heat. The ponies pulled his cart. The Gas co. supplied coke, a by-product of the gasworks but I don't remember how that was delivered.

There were lots of horse-drawn carts around. Mr. Hutcheson came around with his cart selling and calling "Potatoes and vegetaballies"' the Ardrossan Co-op Bakery came selling bread and all sorts of goodies, and the butcher's cart came, his horse was called "Captain". Milk was also delivered by horse and cart. That horse was amazing! He knew which houses to stop at, and sometimes left the milkman behind!

I'm sure all these horses appreciated the horse troughs.

Am I the oldest on this list? Don't tell me, I don't want to Know!!!
The Jeely piece song is way after my time!