Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ardeer Factory (Aug 2000)

Post by Archivist »

Ardeer Factory
To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000
Subject: [3T] Ardeer Factory Page

Just added an 'Ardeer Factory' page to http://www.threetowners.com I've placed it on the Home page because 'The Factory' relates equally to all three towns and surrounds - as far as employment goes that is. James Clements' background history to the factory and some details on Alfred Nobel the founder are there also.

I'd like to thank Peter Bird in Stevenston for forwarding for inclusion details from the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald about two explosions, one in 1884 and the other in 1901. There are a few names mentioned and I'd not be surprised to here someone say that a relative is mentioned therein. If anyone else can add some further articles or even dates to look at, then perhaps we can ask someone to photocopy or scan and forward for inclusion. Typing is no problem for me.

Hugh McCallum

Hi Hugh, I was just having a squizz at the Ardeer Factory Stories. You have done a great job again. My mother lost her thumb in an explosion at Ardeer. She worked there for many years. I also worked there too. Thanks Hugh.
Sally O xxx

Really enjoyed the article you posted on Ardeer. Even found a possible relative, Rose O'Hare, in the 1901 explosion. I had been looking for more information on Ardeer so this really helped. There is also an interesting page at the Nobel site, Nobel in Scotland: http://www.nobel.se/nobel/alfred-nobel/ ... index.html

Thanks, Judy

Hi Hugh I have just had a wee look in your new page 'Ardeer factory' it is a very interesting addition to your great site. Ardeer factory is close to my heart as I spent eighteen years TOILING away in the detonator department before being transferred down south. I hope you get a lot of snippets of information because as you said it was the hub of employment in the three towns and lots of humorous stories must be waiting to be told.

To: "Three Towners" <threetowners@topica.com>

HI Fellow Three Towners

Interesting to read about Ardeer.
My Grandfather, John Brodie was Firemaster there and worked at Ardeer before and after the war. My late father David Young also worked there just before the war and was in the Fire Service till he retired in the late 70's I remember talk of explosions and remember a big one just after the war where the houses in Saltcoats felt the effect. I remember my father talking about horrific injuries. I could see he was badly affected by this. Not a very nice job, yet he did it for 42 years.
David Young, junior.

Hi David,
There are at least three subscribers on this list including myself with Brodie connections in Saltcoats. My grandmother was descended from John Cornelius and
Ann Brodie who in 1841 were living in Green Street Saltcoats. Ann's brother was the famous sea pilot at Ardrossan, Alexander Brodie. Gordon Innes has placed further details including his obituary and a poem to him by a local bard from the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald. It's at the following site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/deepdene/Alexbrod.htm

As for our Cornelius side this might interest Ardeer historians.

OBITUARY Alexander Cornelius beloved husband of the late Margaret Kilpatrick
(from the 'Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald' 7th January 1966)

A well known Kilwinning man Mr Alexander Cornelius died at his home, 22 Claremount Terr. on Sunday. A native of the town Mr Cornelius was for a time employed by the Nobel Explosives factory at Ardeer. During the first world war he was one of the Ardeer men who went to Penbrey in Wales to build an acid plant there. In 1917 he was awarded the OBE for having twice saved 'raw' material at great personal risk. After hostilities Mr Cornelius returned to this district and for a time worked in Irvine. At this time he had started growing strawberries as a part-time occupation and he later decided to concentrate in the nursery business. Helped by his two sons he built greenhouses which started the business which has been conducted ever since by Mr Cornelious and his family. He was 80 years of age and was predeceased by his wife some years ago. He is survived by three sons and four daughters.

Hugh McCallum

Dear Hugh, I have unpacked my belongings and have found the memorial card for
my uncle. It reads.............In Loving Memory of Robert Orr......who was accidentally killed at Nobel's Explosives Factory, Ardeer.......On Monday, l0th March, 1913, at 11:10a.m. .....Aged 21yrs............(It was printed by Wallace, Printer, Saltcoats) It also has at the bottom of the card.........3 Sharphill Rd..........I wish I could scan it for you but I am not familiar with that process.....perhaps if I can get someone to help me, I can. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Penni

Thanks for that Penni B. If there is anyone on the group who can check the
Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald for the story behind the explosion in which Penni
B's uncle Robert Orr was killed it would be appreciated. It should be in the
edition dated 14th March 1913.

Hugh McCallum

Hi,
I got a marriage certificate of a Gr Aunt Ann B.Gilmour of 7 Raise St Saltcoats the other day, and her occupation was Dynamite Worker. Her Father (my Gr G/father) was an Explosives work labourer. So I would think they both worked at the Ardeer Factory. I wonder if a list of employees on the pay role still exists! I thought the Mary Banks mentioned in the survivors story was mine, but my Mary was only 12 when the explosions happened. By the way Hugh I also got a couple of obituaries from the Commonwealth War Graves Site. The names were on the monuments in Stevenston, and make interesting reading. Thanks again, for this great site. Irene Stirling