The Co-operative (Nov 2000)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The Co-operative (Nov 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000

Hi everyone, Topic Of The Week The Co-op brings a puzzling question to my mind. My Dad (Angus Orr) always talked about being a manager at the co-op. He left Saltcoats in 1924 and came to America. I had always assumed the co-op was in America. Did it exist before 1924?....If this is the same market, I feel like I have found a goldmine and would surely enjoy reading the stories about it.
Have a great weekend, everyone. Regards, Penni O

Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000

From 'The Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald' supplement "Auld Kilwinning" 1992.
Attributed to the Kilwinning and District Preservation Society.
==============================================

The Co-operative movement has been one of the most important in Scotland's commercial and political history, and the Kilwinning Co-operative Society, in common with most others, had many difficulties to overcome at the outset.

The majority of the upper and middle classes had little sympathy with the efforts of working men to improve their conditions. Farmers and other members of the wholesale provision and grocery trades viewed the societies with suspicion and would often not extend credit, insisting on receiving cash for the goods they supplied. There was strong opposition from the local shopkeepers and anti-co-operative meetings were held by the Traders Association.

The first official record of Kilwinning Co-operative Society is dated November 16, 1881. A general meeting of members was held in the green Room of the Temperance Hall, at which the balance sheet was passed. It showed quarterly sales of 521pounds 15shillings and paid a dividend of 2shillings to members and 1shilling to non-members.

All these prejudices and attempted boycotts were eventually overcome and from it's humble beginnings the Society which was registered in 1868 - eventually became the mainstay of most of the local working class families. it provided bread, milk, groceries, clothing and furnishing, with outlying districts served by branch shops or delivery vans.

The early part of the 20th century was a time of great progress for the Society. In 1903 new 7000pounds central premises, including a bakery and 30 houses, were erected in Main Street and Woodwynd Lane. The occassion was marked. A parade of members' children, led by the Dalry Brass Band, marched through the streets from the Green to the railway station and back to Pathfoot.

In 1949, a proposal for a union between Irvine and Fullarton, Ardrossan, Troon, Stevenston and Kilwinning Co-operative Societies was rejected. Local newspapers campaigned against the formation of a new West Coast Society, alleging Community Party influence.

Over the last few decades the Co-op's role has adapted and developed to serve the needs of its members, before and since the celebrations of its centenary in 1968. The social, economic and political reforms brought about by the Co-operative movement contributed largely to the improvement in the conditions of working class families.

Reorginisation, the adoption of up-to-date methods and the foresight of previous boards of management in centralising their operations, have given the present-day Society a continuous line of well-appointed shops in prime position, well equiped to serve the growing population of Kilwinning.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000

The thing I remember about the coop in Vernon street in Saltcoats was the cash system. Little cups into which your payment for goods was put, were screwed to a "carrier' on a pulley rope, this little contraption was sent on its way to a centrally placed cashier by the pull of a rope. Your change came back in a short while, along with your receipt documenting your co-op number.

Yes Hugh I do remember the plastic money which was often given in change, you could only of course spend it at the co-op.

Dividend time was nice, it was then you got life's little luxuries.
regards Betty

Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000

My memory of the Stevenston Co at the cross is of a big darkish room with three counters. It smelled good, cured hams etc. There was always a lot of stuff to keep us occupied while mum was shopping.I was really impressed (it didn't take much I guess!) when they'd take a chunk of butter from a big batch and paddle it into shape with wooden paddles and how the cheese was in big wheels that they'd slice with wire to how much was wanted. There were stairs behind one of the counters to the upper shop which sold clothes and housewares. We rarely went there but when we did it felt almost like trespassing!! Everyone always seemed to be happy there.
Morag Black

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000

My first job after leaving school was travelling in the Co van which delivered groceries around Stevenston housing scheme. It was cold and damp in the winter and I was given many a hot toddy from the customers after I carried their groceries into their houses (even though I was only 15), The van did not have refrigeration and on a hot day by the time we returned to the shop at night we threw out the ham maggots and all. I loved my job. The driver was Davey McPhee from Stevenston who's brother had the greenhouses on the Highroad where you could buy the greatest tasting tomatoes in Ayrshire Cheers, Lea.