Saltcoats old men's club (Nov 2000)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Saltcoats old men's club (Nov 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: threetowners@ topica.com
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2000

Has anyone out there heard of, or knows the location of the 'Saltcoats Old Men's Club"? I have a photo that my Grandmother took, while visiting in 1961. Her mother was born in Saltcoats and so as a child Gran visited her 'Granny' and being able to walk the shores. She said the "Salt air was good for what ales you1" It must have been as my Gran died in 1987 at 93 years of age.

Anyway, on the reverse of this photo she has written, "Granny's house, upstairs". My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland in the spring of 2001 and I would love to see where this place is, IF it is still there.

Find reading the 'Threetowners' very interesting!
Regards from Canada,
Andrea

To: <threetowners@ topica.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2000

Hi Andrea, Where was your granny's house?. Can you scan and send the photo to me. You will have to do it privately though. Do you know the address? Between us all we could tell you if it still exists. There are a lot of changes in Saltcoats though. Sally O xxx

Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000

Hi Andrea,
The "Saltcoats Old Men's Club" was situated in the Braes a small lane just off Dockhead Street. It no longer exists.

Cheers Jean Boyce Saltcoats

Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000

Hi listers,

Thanks to Jim, Sally and Jean who identified the photo. Thanks Hugh for placing it on the site. All this was done while I slept...I still can't get over the benefits of the Internet!

My next query is about the Crown Hotel/Restaurant. I also have a photo on this building. Written on the reverse is "M. Arnott's - Saltcoats" This would have been taken in 1961 too.

Does anyone know where it is or would have been located?

I would also like to know if there is an address that I could write to, find the listings of graves in local cemeteries.

With my appreciation,
Andrea

Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000

Hi Andrea,
The Crown Bar sits on the corner of Chapelwell St; and Dockhead St; it's a public bar and lounge, it no longer function's as a hotel and restaurant. On Dockhead St straight across from the Crown was a fruit shop owned my Maggie Arnott, my dad said you could get a penny's worth of chipped fruit and Maggie would wash it and cut the bad bit's out, she must have been a very caring person to do that, I can't see anyone doing that nowadays. The address to write to regarding cemeteries is--Cemeteries Office, 43 Ardrossan Rd, Saltcoats. It's above the Registrar.
Jean Boyce Saltcoats
PS I should have added that the small lane would lead you on to the Braes, it's all flats that are there now and they look on to Saltcoats harbour.