Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Local Diet (Oct 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2000

Hello all......
What I recall mostly was not just the local food, but the " regularity" as it were.
Sunday night was Broth making night as it was for Monday's dinner - Monday being Wash day. My sister and I used to sneak a drap oan sunday nicht as our wee Mum used to make it then. " Biled up wi' a beefbone" take the beefbone out then we would pick clean on Monday night with the soup. Tuesday was mince and tatties night, Wednesday night and Thursday I cannot clearly recall but friday was of course fish day with the chip pan going full blast. The mobile fish Van used to come round on a friday morning.

Anyway I do remember the " system" if you like and in a way it gave us kids a secure feeling. Mind you I used to poach rabbits and the odd salmon " doon the water" tae help out with food just after the war during the rationing.

John

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Saturday, 7 October 2000

I can remember every Friday going down to the chippie at Adams Ave for 5 bobs worth of chips .That was to feed 7 of us, mind you by the time I got back to Sannox Drive I'll bet there was only 4& sixpence worth left, but when you go back 40 odd years that was a lot of chips.
Can also remember our dog Rusty making his way down to Mc Googans for his daily scraps from the meat cutting machine. Johnny would stop serving to feed Rusty then off he would trot home, Rusty that is .My mother was always worried that the dog was not eating regular until we found out that Johnny was keeping our pooch well feed.
Gus Morrison

Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000

John,
Seems to be a general thing with the soup making on Sundays. Our mother died when I was just four and recall our front room at Ardrossan being sub-let to various young couples while they waited for Council houses. Part of my father's sub-let conditions was that the lady made meals for us and we all ate together. Robbie Townsley and wife Lizzie Black were favourites of ours. She was a good cook and Robbie would let us use his 'Raleigh' bike to go and change comics for us all including Robbie.

Robbie's mother-in-Law Mrs Black lived at the bottom end of Kirkhall Drive. Sunday nights brother Bobby and I would go round there to pick up a big steaming pot of broth. But for these people and those excellent school dinners yours truly would I'm sure have been undernourished.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000

Thanks Hugh....I had forgotten the great school dinners they were just great especially in the late forties and early fifties just after the war.

Also my Father used to say a Grace - Burns ane a' think- one of the lines was
" Nae a moose ne' leave yer girnal wi' a teardrap in it's eee"... Can anyone recall the complete Grace?

A' the best tae ye a'
John

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000

John,
The toast you were refering to is

May the best ye've ever seen
Be the worst ye'll ever see,
May a moose ne'er leave yer girnal
Wi'a tear drap in his e'e,
May ye aye keep hale and he'rty Till ye're auld enough tae dee,
May ye aye be juist as happy
As I wish ye aye tae be.

I have it framed and hung above my fireplace in the basement.
Mike Morrison.