Frequent Poster

Coronation 1953

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000

Topic Of The Week: September 01, 2000
"Coronation 1953"

Definitions:
-Queen Elizabeth II crowned June 2nd 1953.

Possible discussion topics:
-Personal recollections
-Organised street Celebrations
-Elizabeth I or Elizabeth II
-Mementos in the family
-Gifts to school children

Hugh McCallum

Hi, Hugh.
My cousin Sandra Dunlop was the youngest child in Hunter Ave. at the time of the coronation. She got a special present but the memory is bad. It may have been a coronation coach or a crown money box.
Netta.

Hi to all three towners
The thing I remember most about the coronation was, we had a project to draw the crown that Queen Elizabeth 11 wore to her coronation, our teacher at kyleshill school at that time was Mrs Dickie, I have been checking my mail and was waiting for a topic I could reply to, good topic Hugh bet a lot will reply to this one
marie

Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000

Hi folks,
The thing I remember most about the coronation was that at the time we did not have a TV set, but my uncle, who lived in Sharphill Road, Saltcoats, had one, so I spent the whole day with my cousins watching the events. I remember we had to have the living room curtains drawn to enable us to see the picture better and there was a mysterious diagonal line across the screen all the time. It was all black and white of course, but about a week later, we saw it in the cinema in colour. The Regal, Saltcoats, to be exact. Incidentally, it was 4 days before my sixteenth birthday.
David Young.

To: Threetowners

Hello all,

I moved to Saltcoats about the beginning of June 1953 at the age of twelve. We had been living in Tripoli just before that and just remember we heard the news of George VI death. We returned to Scotland after a short stay of about 6 months in England. We were given the following at school in commemoration of the coronation; a teaspoon with the head of Elizabeth ( I or II who cares) on it just like the older St Andrews spoons (who remembers them or the small silver threepenny bits that were only common to Scotland) and we got a flat bar of chocolate in a metal box which could be later used as a pencil case. The problem is that I can't remember if we were given them in England or St Mary's in Saltcoats. Can anyone help? As for TV we saw it as well at my uncles. I do sympathise with David Young and his memories of jumping pictures. Can you remember the vertical and horizontal holds David? We also had to sit with the lights out. The worse thing, however was that I had to climb onto the roof of the house to turn the aerial around until we got the best picture and then my Dad would shout up from the living room window if the picture was there or not. What a lot of bother for one programme (BBC). By the way our TV was bought in Napiers of Dockhead St. Does it still exist?

Regards to all
Tony McGuire

I recall standing on the top of Cannon Hill in the evening when a massive bonfire was lit. Marvellous also to look from that spot to the south Ayrshire coast and see other town's bonfires - to us kids it was just magic. Provost Beggs came and opened our festivities right outside our front gate where the local ladies had the tables set up for a feast for those who lived in Whitlees Crescent, Ardrossan.

I remember getting a mug at school and as others mentioned also a tin box of chocolates which could be used as a pencil case after the chocolates were gone - to us that meant immediately. On a sadder note my mother's brother John Boyce told me then while on Cannon (Castle) Hill that he had stood on that same spot a few years earlier with my late mother and watched the bombing of Clydebank. So that area holds a few mixed memories for me.

Hugh McCallum

To: threetowners@topica.com

Hi everyone, I'm too young to remember the coronation, honestly ! But my mum tells me they had a street party in Barrie terrace where she lived I think she may have some photographs of the celebrations.
Thank to everyone who replied about Montfode Cottage, I don't know if it still exists perhaps I should send my dad, Tom Rout, trudging ( what a good word that is ) across the fields to investigate. How about it dad ?
Regards to all
Sandra

Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2000

Don't anybody laugh! but I don't remember any thing about the Queen's coronation, would you believe that! but how about this, I can remember the coronation of King George V1and the wee tin box of sookin' sweeties( hard candies) to the uninitiated, that didn't last a day, that was in 1937, wish I had that wee tin now. Then of course I remember getting another wee tin a couple of years afore that for King George v's silver jubilee, then he died the next year, maybe it was the thought of spending so much on sweetie
tins.L.O.L. Jimmy Laughlan

Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2000

Hi All
I take it that by Elizabeth I, Elizabeth II Hugh meant the debate that raged at the time over the title of the new Queen. This topic is one that I am currently exploring for my dissertation. For those who don't know - Queen Elizabeth I was Queen of England ONLY - not Scotland or Ireland. Therefore there was some debate in 1953 as to the new Queen's title. II was plumped for and it raised a furore (mostly by the Nats.) This dilemma will again occur if Charles ever takes the throne. It will be interesting to see if Anglocentrism again wins out or if we regionals are considered!
Those of you in the Antipodes would also have been in the same position at the time as Liz I was not queen down-under either!!
I would be interested in hearing others comments on this. Should she have been Elizabeth II or not and if not what alternative title could have been used - Elizabeth I of Scotland and Ireland and II of England and Wales is just too much of a mouthful.
Penni C

To: threetowners
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2000

Hello everyone
I remember reading about when the Queen's title was proclaimed and that Buckingham Palace defused the situation by stating that the monarch could call herself whatever she wished.

We have a copy of the Coronation Edition of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald in the museum and will show it to anybody interested - just ask.

Mark

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000

On Coronation Day I was living in a paper mill town called West Linn (the town of Linn had been washed away by the falls that powers the mill in 1900), about 30 miles south of Portland in the great state of Oregon, north of California but not quite all the way to Canada.

My tiny self and my much tinier brother were plopped down in front of our tiny b&w tv set to watch history. Much adoo was made about that fact that a slightly tinier Prince Charles was watching on closed circuit tv.

Even more adoo was made in America about the technological "breakthrough" of ships stationed across the Atlantic to pass on the tv signal. None of us would give a thought to such a thing today, yet for my parents it was a HUGE breakthrough, and they made sure we understood how VERY FAR AWAY England was. Our reception was superb, just like it was happening down the street, but that may be my fallible memory recalling the film rather than the actuality.

The ceremony was long and tedious for a six-year-old to watch, but I suppose Charles got fidgity now and then, too.

I thought Elizabeth to be most beautiful and my neck ached when I found out how much the crown weighed. Seeing her prostrated in front of the altar on the news this summer when the anniversary was mentioned, it all came flooding back. I'd felt so sorry for her at the time, knowing she must be shivvering on that stone flo

Mrs. Tirrill Leslie Mehana