Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Wreck at Seafield(?) cottages

Post by Archivist »

To: threetowners@ topica.com
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 7:
Subject: [3T] Wreck at Seafield(?) cottages

I originate in Saltcoats, in Argyle Road, and also lived in Lindsay Ave, Sorbie Road and North Crescent at various times. Married to Jean Terry from Ardrossan. I haven't been back for a long time, and now live on the east coast thanks to the oil industry.

I have two questions . Along the North Shore beside to cottages on the seaward side of the road there is the remains of the wreck of a large wooden vessel that has been there for many years. When I was a boy (a very long time ago) there wasn't very much of her left. Does anyone know her history?

Second question. In the Plantation, at the corner of South Beach Road and Sorbie Road, just inside the gate, there was a red sandstone slab with two lifting handles set in the ground. We had a lot of ideas of what it was for (schoolboys have a lot of imagination) but does anyone know what it really was?

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000

Hi Thomas and welcome,
I would think it might have had something to do with the mineral springs that were very popular there up to the 1930s, that is according to the pictorial booklet "Old Saltcoats". There is a picture of a building within Holm Plantation with a picket fence around it, above the door is the sign Mineral Well.

Hugh McCallum

To: threetowners@ topica.com
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000

Thanks for the reply to my question about the sandstone slab in the Plantation, but I think the mineral well was a small building at the Saltcoats end of the 'planny'. It was still there up to about 1950. The slab was at the Ardrossan end at the corner of South Beach Road and Sorbie Road, just inside the entrance.

I was interested in Wallace's Larder. We always thought it was the dungeon but like everyone else never went further in than daylight reached, not having a torch. But I did go down to the bottom of the well steps. A bit scary, and rather dangerous looking back, for there was only a rusty bar to stop you falling in. Have you heard the story that the well rises and falls with the tide?

Do you remember the old cannons on Castle Hill? They were still there during the war, overlooking the harbour. Not much use for defence, though!

Bye the way, I was known as Murray Logan in Saltcoats. Left the Academy in 1949.