Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ardrossan Castle

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000
Subject: [3T] Ardrossan prom
Quote:
Sandra, earlier you mentioned you managed the Ellwood B+B, Is that the one on the seafront near the Chapel and sunken garden?

Hi Hugh, yes Ellwood on the prom was where I was, although it has rapidly gone down hill now and much of it is bedsits. It was bought from Bernard Drabble who remembered the crew from ' Tuity Fruity ' very well especially Robbie Coltrane. The sunken gardens are still nice even though they have been flooded quite a few times.
If only the council would pay some attention to the castle. Does anyone remember going down the well or into Wallaces Larder in the castle. If so I would really like to hear about their exploits.
Regards to all
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
Don't know about the well but I was shut in Wallace's Larder during lunch time from Winton Primary School in the early fifties, just for a few minutes - sure was scary. There was water at the bottom of the stair case too. Us kids believed that there was a tunnel all the way to Montfode Castle from there. For a period in the 1950s Wallace's Larder had no padlock.

At that time there was also a square building without a roof about 75 -100 feet from the castle in a north Easterly direction. I'm pretty sure the inside walls were whitewashed and it was not the same age as the castle.

Hugh McCallum

Hi Hugh, I can't believe you went into Wallaces Larder and not the well, which everyone called the dungeons. Did you ever venture into the next chamber from Wallaces Larder, we never ever had the courage. We only discovered Wallaces Larder when some vandals took a sledge hammer to the stone work and revealed a short flight of steps leading into a chamber.
We've been right down to the well, couldn't believe the length of the flight of stairs, never were organised enough to bring a torch or anything but did take some photographs ( with flash ). The well entrance in the corner of the building ajoining the ' read tower ' always had a large railing door over it until again someone cut through the bars to allow access.
Always remember being in the castle and hearing a strange rustling noise coming from the well, we were going to make a run for it never to return when the thought came to us that maybe someone or an animal was trapped so we peered into the darkness not willing to enter, when a middle aged man appeared with a black polli bag. He was over on holiday, came up to see the castle, decided it was in a terrible state with rubbish and decided to do something about it there and then. We learnt a lot from that man, I wish I knew who he was. Pity there are not more like him out there or in our local councils.
By the way Tommy Trout is Tom Rout from Saltcoats, my father. Hello Dad.
Regards to all
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
Oop's! I assumed the dungeon was Wallace's Larder. Well, there goes this former primary school student's moment of glory <g>. So what we knew as the dungeon and I assumed was Wallace's Larder was actually the 'Well'. Great to hear of your interest in this subject Sandra, we need a few more like you - even just talking about such things stirs the imagination. Your thoughts on what lies ahead for the preservation of the Castle and surrounds would be welcome. Is there an historical society that has responsibility. Is there anything that members of threetowners can do?

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000

STWBlair was in the Wallaces Larder I'm talking about Hugh.
The chamber lies underneath the ' Read Tower ' and is entered through a knocked in archway and down a short very uneven flight of steps. The ceiling drips and the floor is never dry. There is a door way which leads off this chamber into another similar sized chamber but never having a torch we never ventured further.
As to the future of the castle, I have came up against numerous brick walls with the local council over the past 15 years. Their idea of looking after the castle is to attach a metal sign say ' Danger loose stone work ' , their drilling and hammering probably contributing to it. Historic Scotland may take an interest in it but I never ever got a reply from them. A couple of years ago the seaward wall of the arch was a mess with graffitti which was left to burn into the stone work till eventually through many irrate phonecalls someone came and cleaned it off with everyday chemical cleaners which made as much mess.
The castle is a romantic ruin which I think does deserve to at least be looked after, another contact with the Historic Scotland society may be the answer, I shall get onto it on Monday.
Thanks for being interested.
Sandra