Veronica Saltcoats Shopkeeper

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Veronica Saltcoats Shopkeeper

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000

With regard to the question about Veronica's. The Countess St shop is still there and it is still owned by Veronica although there is some talk of a sale. Veronica is still owner of her St Francis Guest house on Montgomerie Terrace and still rules. I don't know about Canal St but would be surprised if Veronica didn't have an interest in it!
Best wishes to all
Lindsay

Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000

Hello everyone,
I've been viewing the threetowners website for about a month now and find it quite addictive. I've enjoyed hearing the reminiscences of my childhood times and before. This is the first question I've actually known the answer to.
Veronica's shop is still there in Countess Street. It is now owned by Terry O'Neill. The smaller shop in Canal Street has been a Hairdressers for a few years now. The Regal Cafe, where had the biggest Knickerbocker Glories in the world (or maybe I was just smaller then); sadly it is now a bookies.

Subject: [3T] Veronica

I was surprised to hear that Veronica was still alive!!. How old would she be?. Anyone know??. Sally O

Hi Sally
I'm just as surprised as you are to hear that Veronica still exists. I remember back in the mid fifties I used to do odd jobs there after school. It was straight off the bus from Irvine there by the 'public lavs' where I seem to remember a clock tower (does it still exist?). Anyway straight off the bus and then into Veronica's. (Homework be damned it could wait till the next morning on the bus on the way to St. Mick's).

Betty I can't remember a ladies hairdresser next to Veronica's (then why should I, a young boy at that time) but I do remember ther was a dry cleaners and a hotel on the corner.

By the way I do miss reading the 'Broons and Oor Wullie' here in Denmark.
Any help!!!

Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000

My memories of Veronica's Canal Street shop are a bit hazy. I was following the Burgh Pipe Band when I walked into one of those concrete lamp posts between there and Kelly's snooker hall. Just over the concrete bridge to the sea and back towards Stevenston was "The Slabs" where we'd dive from the prom as kids, this was just over the railway from Esplanade Cottages where we'd change in a relatives house.

Hugh McCallum