Three Blind Mice

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Three Blind Mice

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000

Hi Jean, I remember the old pan-stick make-up. Do you remember the diamond and the fish-net stockings. I remember buying the suspender belt at Corner Duncans. Is that store still as big?. It seemed huge then. Do they still have the upstair part?. Sally O xxx

Sally,
My dear wife says you've not to talk about fish-net stockings and suspender belts 'cos I get excited. lol
Did you ever go to the round the corner from Duncans and up the stairs to the "Three Blind Mice" cafe? Can't remember it's proper name but recall watching Buddy Holly there when he performed at Sunday Night at the London Palladium that must have been around 1957. I think the term "three blind mice" was an endearing term us teenagers gave the proprietors.

Hugh McCallum

Hi Marie,
Hope you don't mind me passing this to the group. I think the last time I saw you, or perhaps it was your sister Betty (are you twins?) was when I was gravely ill in hospital in 1970 in Melbourne and you all visited and ate all my grapes. Hugh

> hugh,
>
> the three blind mice cafe was owned by the Lanni brothers i think that's how
> you spell it they lived in Vernon St in the flat below my auntie mamie. She
> lived in the top one and it was called the attic ,she lived there when she
> first got married, my aunt Cissie lived in the same building as did my
> granny, my granny and granpa lived in the esplanade cottages , i remember
> going to visit them, i also remember going into the three blind mice ,we
> went upstairs to watch tv and have a hot orange juice ,i was marie mcclure
> then and it would have been in the late fifty's

Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000

Hi Hugh , Marie and all others.

I have just got back from Copenhagen after a week of plucking strawberries. I am catching up on all the e-mails that have poured in since I was away. One that really caught my eye was the one about 'Three Blind Mice' café. If we are talking about the same one in Countess Street then it was there I saw my first Colour TV. The brothers bought it to try and compete with such places as the Regal Café, West End and Melbourne cafés. By the way we got nearly thrown out on our necks as the football game we were watching lasted only the normal 90 minutes and we only had enogh money for one or two coffees or was it cokes?

While I,m here I have a question. Can anyone tell me if Veronica's Newsagents still exists? I believe there were two. The bigger one in Countess St. and a smaller one in Canal St.

Regards
Tony McGuire

Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000

The proper name for the cafe was the "Savoy"!!! believe it or not. The attraction was the tv as no other cafe had one for the customer's, some of the seating consisted of old bus seats with the springs sticking up through the upholstery, in the winter it was a hot bovril and a cream cracker or hot vimto, I went into once and got grounded for two Sunday's. My dad used to go into it in the late 20's early 30's because you could get a plate of pea bree (Stock that the pea's were boiled in) for only a halfpenny, because you couldn't afford the pea's. The good old days?????
Jean Boyce

Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000
Subject: Re: [3T] Three Blind Mice

I remember it well Hugh and I did not eat your grapes although you couldn't at the time.
regards Betty