The Coal Man

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The Coal Man

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000

Hi Margaret, We had a laugh about your question about being the oldest on the list. I think you might be rather surprised!. We had Martin Reid to bring up the coal. Any one remember Martin?. Regards the jeely piece song, Why not talk nice to Arthur Laughlan and ask him to send a copy. He has done a great job with it. Arthur, how about putting the e mail address on the list?. I'm sure you'll be inundated with requests!! Sally O

To: "three towners" <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000

Sally,
It's funny that you mention Martin Reid as I am just off the phone to my sister and she was speaking to him the other day she tells me that he now walks with a cane. His name also came up in conversation last night. I know Martin from way back when he travelled on The Saltcoats & District CSC.
Regards
Tommy Hanlon

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000

Hi Sally. I'm not one to brag about age,L.O.L. but I might qualify in there somewhere. I was one of the kids who cleaned all the small pieces of glass off the playing field at Saltcoats Vic's fitba' park, before the grass seed was planted, when they moved to their location down by the railway, just in front of the cowp where all the garbage was dumped, and for doing that on our hands and knees we were promised a lifetime pass to the games, promises, promises! don't ask me what year it was, it's so long ago. I also woked with Sandy Anderson delivering milk with a horse and cart for Ardrossan Co-op up around the New England area in Saltcoats, and with another horse and cart selling groceries around Ardrossan, I don't remember the man's name, but would you believe I remember that the horse's name was Mary, with whom I had a great friendship. isn't it funny what one forgets and what is remembered.
Ta. Ta. for now. Jimmy Laughlan

To: "three towners" <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000

Hi Jimmy, What a shame about the gold pass to the games. I think if we all got what we've been promised, we'd be rich. Riches come in all sorts of ways, and I have to say this is one of the best. The way we can look back on tough times and laugh and remember some of the stuff we did. My brother worked with Ross's dairy on the horse and cart. I wanted to but he wouldn't let me!. I can't remember the horses name though. Sally O xx