Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Horse Island (Jan 2000)

Post by Archivist »

Horse Island
To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2000

John and Noreen Steele's book "Whispers of Horse Island" appears to have provided an answer to a question that has been on my mind since childhood. As youngsters we'd gather coal that had been washed up at Ardrossan's North Shore - remember going there to collect whelks and being told to keep our eyes open for *sea coal*.

I'd thought that perhaps the coal might have come from a reef near the shoreline but John and Noreen's excellent book about the wrecks on Horse Island seems to provide a more plausible answer. They say that on the island they noticed lots of coal, and say it was obviously the lost cargo from some stricken vessel.

Hugh McCallum
Melbourne

Hi Hugh,
Often think about my times growing up around the 3towns area and used to sit by the harbour and look across to Horse Island which as you know has been a bird sanctuary for all the years I can remember. It just had a bit of mystery to it as a kid.

I have my mother-in-law staying with us who can remember collecting small pieces of coal from the shores there. Her name is Cathy Wilson from Ardrossan if any one knows her I'm sure she'd love to say hello. Cathy used to live in St Andrews rd in Ardrossan and her late husbands name was John (Jock) Wilson who was the local milk man for many years in Saltcoats.

Does anyone know where the name Horse Island originate from. There was also a tanker run aground at the other side of Ardrossan harbour behind what was then known as the Western bus depot although I cant recall to much on it I think it would have been about 15 years ago.

Best Wishes to all
Alec Wilkie

Hi Alec,
You might be referring to the cargo vessel Harry R. Jones that ran aground at the Inches in February 1961. It's shown in the book "Old Ardrossan" , it was en route from Canada to be broken up at Troon shipyard. Not a normal sea vessel - superstructure is well forward and would suggest a great lakes bulk carrier. Well! I just read your post again. I'm out a few years but I'll post just the same Smile)

The Wilson family I knew lived at the corner of Castle Road / Kirkhall Drive 1950s. I was born and raised in Whitlees Crescent. Mother was a Boyce.

Hugh McCallum
Melbourne