Stevenston - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
20 JUNE 1893

WIFE BEATING

At Kilmarnock Sheriff Court yesterday, HUGH SIBBALD, moulder, Dynamite Road, Stevenston, pleaded guilty to having assaulted his wife there, on the 17th instant, by striking her a blow with his fist, and was fined in £2 with the alternative of 20 days’ imprisonment.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
21 JUNE 1910

ACCIDENT

On Sunday afternoon two Stevenston men went to bathe from the wharf at Ardeer. One of them named ISAAC FARRELL, (18), miner, residing at Boglemart Street, was unable to swim, but his companion was a strong swimmer. They appeared not to be aware of the depth of water and dived into a pool, 10 feet deep.

Farrell was at once in difficulty and raised cries for help. His companion made a great effort to effect his rescue, but the drowning man seized him round the neck and he had to extricate himself. Farrell sank and was drowned.

Some time afterwards the body was recovered by two men, who dived into the pool and brought it ashore.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
25 JUNE 1959

COMMUNITIES’ CLAIMS FOR BURGH STATUS
THREAT TO DISTRICT COUNCILS

The threat to district councils if landward communities continued to seek burgh status was brought to the notice of the District Councils’ Association for Scotland at their annual conference at Whiting Bay, Arran.

The president, Mr. James Anderson, of the Fifth District Council, Lanarkshire, raised the subject in his presidential address, in which he referred to what he called the “Cecil Rhodes” instinct of Lanarkshire House and criticised “Empire builders” among the county councils.

Surely they could not be unaware of the growing demand by landward communities for the right to look after their own affairs, he said. It was spreading throughout Scotland and the infection could be dangerous if not kept in control.

Referring to improvements made in Pitlochry and Stevenston since they became burghs, he said the changes were startling in Stevenston, which seven years ago was one of the untidiest towns in Scotland, full of crumbling properties, unkempt open spaces, and wild sand dunes.

BUILDING PLAN

Old buildings were now being demolished and the town was putting Ayr County Council’s house-building programme to shame.

Although it would never be a Blackpool, it now had something resembling a seafront.

It was little wonder, said Mr. Anderson, that with such examples before them more towns wanted autonomy.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 JUNE 1922

DROWNING

ANDREW TODD, (2½), son of Hugh Todd, farm servant, Ardeer Square, Stevenston, was drowned in a pond near his home on Sunday.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 JUNE 1965

MAN’S DEATH FROM SHOTGUN MISHAP

WALTER GALLOP, aged 21, of 13 Morris Moodie Avenue, Stevenston, died in Kilmarnock Infirmary at the week-end from injuries he suffered when a shotgun he was carrying accidentally discharged.

Gallop was walking along a country road on Saturday between Stevenston and Kilwinning when the accident occurred.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I wish this was more specific. Where, I wonder, did this happen?
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv it happened next to the orchard at Auchenkist. I spoke to the farmer about it and he told me he was climbing over the gate with the gun cocked ( it was a 410) when the gun discharged into his stomach. He must have been in some mess as the farmer told me he never wanted to see anything like that again. I can still see his look of horror when he told me what had happened.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Thanx. I was wondering if this was the same story you previously told me. Seems it is !!

That gate is often covered in flies. A sign of death. Still the same now.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:52 am Viv it happened next to the orchard at Auchenkist. I spoke to the farmer about it and he told me he was climbing over the gate with the gun cocked ( it was a 410) when the gun discharged into his stomach. He must have been in some mess as the farmer told me he never wanted to see anything like that again. I can still see his look of horror when he told me what had happened.
I'm guessing that you might have walked a few of those country roads carrying a loaded firearm yourself Bill ? And if so .. "There but for the Grace of God go I" is maybe quite an apt expression to use here.

No disrespect to the deceased above, but thank god we in this country no longer allow folk to wander at will along public roads carrying loaded shotguns - never mind those youngsters who have little sense of safety either for themselves or others.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Have to agree. We would be riddled with bullets locally.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Had my first shotgun a double barrel twelve bore at the age of fifteen which was legal in Scotland in those days. You just went to the post office and bought a gun license for ten shillings. No checks were made to see if you had a criminal record or were of sound mind. Yes Michaelm shot over all that land but kept off the country roads as the polis would stop you and you would be prosecuted if the gun wasn't covered.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:55 am Thanx. I was wondering if this was the same story you previously told me. Seems it is !!

That gate is often covered in flies. A sign of death. Still the same now.
No VIV that is just dung that is attracting the flies.