Stevenston - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston - On This Day In History

Post by John Donnelly »

Penny Tray wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am GLASGOW HERALD
20 OCTOBER 1902

STEVENSTON PUBLICAN FINED

At Ardrossan Justice of the Peace Court on Saturday, WILLIAM SMITH, New Century Bar, Stevenston, was charged with grogging – that is, extracting spirit from the wood of empty spirit casks by means of water.
The New Century Bar was at the foot of the Townhead Brae. It was the building next to Parks the bakers.
My uncle John bought it and had his grocers shop in it.
JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Hughie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 am There we go. And I always thought 'Grog' was an Australian expression - it is a common expression here. :smt030
Hughie I ken the Aussies refer to booze as grog. However I think it originated on sailing ships as an alcoholic drink used by sailors. Hence the expression the ship's grog.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

JD, for us youngsters who can't quite remember where Park's Baker's was in Townhead Street in the old days, can you elaborate a bit more here.
Was the New Century Bar close to where the White Hart or the Douglas were for instance, or was it further up the Brae?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I think parks was next to Allisons paint shop might be wrong.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
21 OCTOBER 1916

COURT OF SESSION
BEFORE LORD DEWAR
SCHOOLBOY’S ACCIDENT

Lord Dewar closed the record and ordered issues for trial of an action by Thomas Houston, 7 Mannering Road, Shawlands, Glasgow, against FREDERICK BASS SMALL, wine and spirit merchant, Fullerton Place, Stevenston, for £1000 as damages for personal injuries sustained by the pursuer’s son John, 11 years of age, who was knocked down while on his way home from Shawlands Academy on May 15, 1916, by a motor cycle driven by the defender.

The boy had been walking behind a lorry on which he had placed his school books, but had left the lorry and proceeded to cross Pollokshaws Road when he was knocked down.

The pursuer alleged that the defender was at fault, and that he left before a policeman arrived, did not leave his name and address, or went to ascertain the nature of the child’s injuries.

The defender denied fault, and said the boy ran into the motor cycle. He contends that the accident was caused entirely through the fault of the boy.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

michaelm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:59 pm JD, for us youngsters who can't quite remember where Park's Baker's was in Townhead Street in the old days, can you elaborate a bit more here.
Was the New Century Bar close to where the White Hart or the Douglas were for instance, or was it further up the Brae?
Right, you're at the corner of the New Street walking towards the Townhead.
You pass Jameson's the butchers on the corner; Tom Campbel's the grocers; Kathy Kelly's cafe; Halbert's garage; the Douglas Bar; the White Hart pub; R.S. McCall's; Napier's ; Duncan's the Drapers; Willie Allison's decorators shop; Donnelly's Stores, (The New Century Bar); Park's the bakers; then there was the wide pavement and the Post Office, the only thing that is still there :cry: .
JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ah! I remember in early days (late fifties) dropping in there after the late Friday night dancing at the Rec and getting a pie more than once. The Park name was on the base of the pie from what I recall - helped on the walk home to Ardrossan on the High Road.

Wonder if Ricky Park was from that same family - Ricky and girlfriend were regulars on the dance floor at the Rec at that time and they stood out in my mind as being very close. Me? Jinit from Kilwinning a Kim Novak look-alike from the wire shop stole my heart at that time - but there were others. :wink: I did eventually land lucky with another lassie from the wire shop - oor Betty. :)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hughie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 am There we go. And I always thought 'Grog' was an Australian expression - it is a common expression here. :smt030
I remember this from the folk nights in the Glenbride and Ingledene. Wondering now if it's Scots or Irish.....

All For Me Grog

And it's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog
All for me beer and tobacco
Well I spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin
Across the western ocean I must wander

Where are me boots, me noggin, noggin boots
they're all gone for beer and tobacco
For the heels they are worn out and the toes are kicked about
And the soles are looking for better weather

Where is me shirt me noggin, noggin shirt
It's all gone for beer and tobacco
For the collar is all worn and the sleeves they are all torn
And the tail is looking for better weather

I'm sick in the head and I haven't gone to bed
Since I first came ashore from me slumber
For I spent all me dough on the lassies don't you know
Far across the western ocean I must wander

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
22 OCTOBER 1917

Killed in action, Private JOHN McKEAN, 16th Battalion Royal Scots – Theatre of war, France and Flanders – son of John and Isabella McKean, Stevenston.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
22 OCTOBER 1917

Killed in action, Corporal Hugh Donnachie McPhail, (25), 7th Field Company, Canadian Engineers – Theatre of war, France and Flanders – husband of Jane Paterson or McPhail, Garven Road, Stevenston.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meg wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm
I remember this from the folk nights in the Glenbride and Ingledene. Wondering now if it's Scots or Irish.....
It may have been a Scot or an Irish man who came up with the expression but it's linked to an English man - Admiral Vernon (1684-1757) whose nick-name was OLD GROG, on account his grogram cloak. He was the first to order diluted rum to be served to sailors instead of neat measures.

Grogram, incidentally, is a coarse fabric made of silk, often combined with mohair or wool and stiffened with gum.

Every day is a school day!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

PT you're our very own susie dent, brilliant :good:
Those wimin were in the nip.