Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 SEPTEMBER 1919

VISIT OF ATLANTIC FLEET TO ARDROSSAN

Word has been received at Ardrossan from the Admiral Commander-in-Chief Atlantic and Home Fleets that the following arrangements have now been made regarding the visit of ships of the Atlantic Fleet to Ardrossan:-

H.M.S. QUEEN ELIZABETH (flying the flag of Admiral Sir Charles E. Madden, Bart., G.C.B., K.C.M.G., C.V.O., Commander-in-Chief Atlantic and Home Fleets), and H.M.S. LION, (flying the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes, Bart., K.C.B., K.C.V.O., C.M.G., D.S.O., Commanding the battle cruiser Squadron), September 17 to September 21.

H.M.S. ITHURIEL and one ‘K’ class submarine, September 25 to September 29.

During the stay the vessels will be open to visitors.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
6 SEPTEMBER 1929

CARGO STEAMERS FOR GLASGOW OWNERS

Two cargo steamers were launched on the Clyde yesterday for Glasgow owners…..The second vessel was the BLAIRSPEY, 370 feet between perpendiculars, 51 feet in moulded breadth, 25 feet 9 inches in moulded depth, and of 8900 tons deadweight, built by the Ardrossan Dockyard Limited for the Northern Navigation Company Limited, Glasgow (Messrs George Nisbet & Company, managers).

Machinery designed for a speed of 11 knots will be supplied by Messrs John G. Kincaid & Company Limited, Greenock.

The naming ceremony was performed by Mrs. George A. Ferguson, Glasgow, wife of one of the directors of the owners company.

[Further details of this vessel, and three photographs, two as the BLAIRSPEY, and one by a later name, EVANDROS, are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... LAIRSPEY#v
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
6 SEPTEMBER 1865

TO THE EDITOR OF THE GLASGOW HERALD

Ardrossan
4 September, 1865

Sir,

In your impression today you have an article headed “THE CATTLE PLAGUE,” to which my attention has been drawn.

In this article you give an account how certain diseased cattle found their way from Glasgow to this burgh. This is a question I take no notice of, not being aware of the facts. All I know is that the cattle did appear here, were examined and condemned by Mr. Walker, who had been appointed inspector by the authorities here.

I have further to state that I believe Mr. Walker is qualified for this office, and that he has discharged the duties of his office without the assistance of Mr. Ferguson of Ayr, and also that that person Ferguson had no authority or jurisdiction within this burgh.

Your giving this a place in your next issued will much oblige.

Yours, &c.

John Barr,
Provost.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
6 SEPTEMBER 1917

Killed at sea, Second Engineer JAMES HOUSTON, (24), S.S. Tuskar – Theatre of war, at sea – son of James and Janet Houston, ‘Fleetwood,’ Parkhouse Road, Ardrossan.

On 6th September, 1917, the S.S. Tuskar, on a voyage from Glasgow to Limerick with general cargo, was sunk by a mine from the German submarine U-80, 3 miles west of Eagle Island.

Ten of the crew lost their lives.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
7 SEPTEMBER 1891

ARDROSSAN – NEW HARBOUR WORKS

It has now been decided to open these works on 20 October, and no efforts are being spared in pushing forward the work.

Labourers are engaged around the outer basin cleaning away accumulations of dirt and filling up depressions. The men are working considerably more than the usual number of hours per day.

The dredging at the mouth of the outer basin is carried on practically without cessation, and the laying of rails to and from the hydraulic coal-hoist proceeds apace.

The extent of ground between the old and the new dock is very considerable, and, with regard to room, will make shipping as easy from the Glasgow and South Western Railway, or southern and western sides of the dock, as from the Caledonian, or northern and eastern sides.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
8 SEPTEMBER 1894

SHEBEENERS CONVICTED

Yesterday at the Justice of the Peace Court, Mrs. Easton, keeper of an eating house in Princes Lane, Ardrossan, was charged with trafficking in exciseable liquor on Sunday, 8th July, by supplying two with drink, not having a license.

Mr. T. Kirkhope prosecuted, and Mr. Wilson, Irvine, defended.

There was a long legal argument over objections by Mr. Wilson to the complaint. Ultimately the case was proceeded with, Mr. Wilson getting his objections noted.

After evidence the accused was fined in £3 with expenses.

Robert Easton, her husband, was next charged with having in the house 12 pint bottles of beer and two gills of whisky on 12 August without having a license.

The police on searching the house also found a number of empty bottles which appeared to have been recently used.

The Court convicted, but in the circumstances only imposed a fine of 10s.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
8 SEPTEMBER 1917

Killed in action, Sergeant PETER NOLAN, 7th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment – Theatre of war, France and Flanders - son of William and Mary E Nolan, 33 Paisley Street, Ardrossan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
10 SEPTEMBER 1936

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

Last night the motor coastal vessel DORSET COAST was launched by Ardrossan Dockyard Limited for Coast Lines Limited.

The DORSET COAST is the second to be launched of three sister vessels ordered by these owners from the Ardrossan Company, the third being at present in course of construction.

Her measurements are: length, 199 feet; breadth, moulded, 33 feet; depth, moulded, to shelter deck, 21¼ feet; and she is designed to carry about 900 tons.

The engines will be supplied by John G. Kincaid and Company, Greenock.

Further details and two photographs of this vessel, later named ISABEL, are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... RSET+COAST
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
10 SEPTEMBER 1856

Warranted first ship
FROM ARDROSSAN – TO BELIZE, DIRECT

The British-built fast sailing brig AYRSHIRE LASS, 167 tons register, will positively sail on 13th inst.

Carriage and goods paid to Ardrossan by the ship.

For freight or passage apply to
TOD, YOUNG AND CO.,
GORDON STREET,
GLASGOW.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
11 SEPTEMBER 1865

THE CATTLE PLAGUE AT ARDROSSAN

Sir,

It was only this morning that I saw the letter which appeared in your Wednesday issue, and which was dated from Ardrossan, and signed “JOHN BARR, PROVOST.”

The clear inference which the writer wished the public to draw from his uncalled-for allusion to me, was, that I had thrust myself forward, and volunteered my advice to the Ardrossan authorities without being asked to do so. This is simply not the fact. I went to Ardrossan as the accredited officer of the Ayrshire Agricultural Association, to inquire into the alleged cases of the plague there, information of which had been communicated from Glasgow to the secretaries of that society.

Mr. Walker and I acted harmoniously together till the close of the investigation, and Mr. Walker knows very well that I had neither the intention nor the inclination to supersede him. Any feeling of that kind only exists in the imagination of your correspondent. In the locality where I am known anything that Provost Barr may choose to write or say of me can do me no harm; but as I have many friends in Glasgow, who, not perhaps being aware of the exact facts, may have been inclined to think I had gone out of my way to parade my professional services, you will probably be good enough to insert this explanation, and oblige your obedient servant,

JOHN H. FERGUSON, V.S.,
DALBLAIR ROAD,
AYR.

THE CATTLE PLAGUE AT ARDROSSAN

Sir,

As secretaries of the Ayrshire Agricultural Association, we have been requested by Mr. Ferguson, veterinary surgeon in Ayr, to attest to the fact of his visit to Ardrossan having been an official one, and we now beg to do so.

By the kindness and energy of Professor McCall and Mr. Fordie, of the Glasgow Veterinary College, the latter of whom was at the trouble of coming to Ayr, we learned that the cattle infected with the plague had been brought to Ardrossan from Glasgow. We immediately telegraphed to Mr. Campbell, banker, the agent for the Ardrossan district, and thereafter despatched Mr. Ferguson on horseback, with instructions to put himself in possession of the facts by every possible endeavour on his part. We at the same time furnished Mr. Ferguson with letters of introduction to Provost Barr, and to Gavin Fullarton, Esquire, of Kerelaw, the chairman of the local committee.

In acting we considered that we were but doing our duties as secretaries. At the same time we are sorry that our procedure should have given any offence to Provost Barr. Our object was not to intrude upon the local management of the district, but merely, by means of the telegram, to apprise the district of the danger, and, through the agency of Mr. Ferguson, to gain possession of the facts.

J. & J. McMURTRIE,
SECRETARIES,
AYR,
9TH SEPTEMBER, 1865.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
12 SEPTEMBER 1888

MUNICIPAL MEETING – ARDROSSAN

The usual monthly meeting of Police Commissioners was held in the Town’s Buildings on Monday.

A letter was read from Mr. G. R. Vernon, M.P., Lord Eglinton’s Commissioner, handing over the Castle Hill as a gift to the inhabitants of Ardrossan as a public park and recreation ground, and stating that his Lordship’s agent would prepare such a feu-contract as was necessary under the entail to convey this ground at a nominal feu-duty.

It afforded his Lordship much pleasure, to hear so many expressions of satisfaction at the gift he had made, and he hoped the possession of the hill would be a lasting benefit to the town and neighbourhood.

The lower part of the hill will be feued, and the public will get possession at Martinmass.

The Provost, on behalf of the inhabitants, acknowledged the gift, and moved that the thanks of the Commissioners and inhabitants be conveyed be conveyed to his Lordship for his generous gift.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

SHIPWRECK
13 SEPTEMBER 1867

The wooden sailing schooner BROOMIELAW, built in 1838 by Matthew Henderson, Ardrossan, for Daniel Wright and R. Gilchrist, Glasgow, was wrecked near The Maiden Rocks, off County Antrim, sailing from Larne to Glasgow. All the crew were saved.

[Further details of this vessel are contained in the following link:-

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?y ... BROOMIELAW