Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
22 FEBRUARY 1906

NEW JUSTICES OF THE PEACE FOR AYRSHIRE

On the recommendation of the Earl of Eglinton and Winton, Lord Lieutenant of Ayrshire, the following gentlemen have been added to the Commission of Peace for the county: -

Thomas Miller, Winton Circus, Saltcoats; and
Alexander Hamilton, Staffa Cottage, Eglinton Street, Saltcoats.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
23 FEBRUARY 1864

MARRIAGE

At Hamilton Street, Saltcoats, on the 16th instant, by the Rev. Joseph Davidson, Mr. Alexander McNeil Steward, R.N., Queenstown, Ireland, to Annabella, daughter of the late Archibald Taylor, mariner.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
23 FEBRUARY 1877

DEATH

At Windmill Street, Saltcoats, on the 28th instant, Malcolm Campbell, in his 100th year.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
24 FEBRUARY 1883

SALTCOATS WATER SUPPLY

A special meeting of the Local Authority was held on Thursday night – Mr. Fullerton presiding.

The report of the committee was read, containing a proposal of the Ardrossan Water Company to enter into an agreement with the Local Authority for 25 years, a new reservoir to be constructed near Busbie, and the whole town supplied from the Whitlees reservoir at a rate of 1s per £1 on the gross valuation, with 5 per cent deduction.

If no agreement is entered on for a continuance of water supply, the Local Authority to purchase the pipes at a valuation.

Mr. Arthur Guthrie moved and Doctor Brown seconded –

“That the offer of the water company be accepted, with these modifications – First, that instead of 5 per cent, we ask for a discount of 7½ per cent; second, that at the end of 14 years we ask that the rates in Saltcoats be the same as those in Ardrossan; third, the modification referred to by Doctor Brown in his interview with Provost Barr be granted – the supply of water and rates understood to be for the whole of Saltcoats.”

Mr. Campbell, writer, and Mr. Watt, grocer, disapproved of the motion.

After discussion the motion was carried, and the matter was remitted to a committee.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
25 FEBRUARY 1904

DEATH

STEVENSON: At Sorbie Farm, Saltcoats, on the 23rd instant, Jane Chalmers, in her 69th year, beloved wife of Robert Stevenson.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
25 FEBRUARY 1909

DEATH

MacGAVIN: At 63 Dockhead Street, Saltcoats, on the 23rd instant, William MacGavin, painter, beloved husband of Isobel Steedman.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
25 FEBRUARY 1901

SALTCOATS – FATAL SCALDING ACCIDENT

JESSIE GIBB, 3½ years, daughter of David Gibb, collier, Auchenharvie Row, died from the effects of injuries received through falling into a pail of hot water.

The mother of the girl had just emptied the hot water in the pail and placed it on the kitchen floor, when the child, who was playing with a dog, backed up against the pail and fell into it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
26 FEBRUARY 1878

BIRTH

COLMAN: At Melbourne Place, Saltcoats, on the 25th instant, the wife of Captain Colman; a daughter.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
26 FEBRUARY 1901

DEATH

WEBSTER: At 1 Sidney Place, Saltcoats, on the 24th instant, Catherine McInnes, in her 83rd year, late of Dalmuir, wife of William Webster.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 FEBRUARY 1867

Sir,

MISSION HOME AT SALTCOATS

Thanking you for past favours of the same kind, I once more ask your insertion of a few remarks relative to my Mission Home in Saltcoats, and also of the enclosed paragraph from the Ardrossan Herald.

To the acknowledgments there referred to, let me add two more, viz., of the valuable donations of about a dozen bed mats, some pillow-slips, towels, &c., from Mrs. Muirhead, Bothwell; and of a most useful gift of tables, carpeting, &c., from Mrs. Matthew Clark, Glasgow.

For these donations I tender my sincere thanks.

Two errors are abroad about this Mission Home which I am desirous of correcting –

First, I am again and again addressed as though my scheme were antagonistic to others at present before the public. I have simply to answer that this cannot be, for my scheme was weeks, if not months, in successful operation before either I or the general public heard of any other.

Further, no scheme of the same nature is even yet in operation, while mine has now been wrought for nearly nine months.

These considerations show that if there be any antagonism to complain of, it is I who would have the right, and the exclusive right to complain. Such a complaint I do not make, and I am sure I shall rejoice in the prosperity of any other scheme having the same end at heart.

Secondly, I have been asked, “Is not your scheme identical with another, for subscriptions to which the whole city is about to be vigorously canvassed?” I answer, I have no connection whatever with any scheme of the kind, except that in operation at Saltcoats, nor has any other with mine. Nor do I sympathise with the canvassing system. Since my home was opened in May, 1866, I never yet have made one call for cash, except when invited.

Hitherto, kind friends, without any dunning, have most liberally supplied sufficient funds not only to support the Home, but to enable me to lay past a comfortable sum for future operations.

When such friends, into whose hearts God has put it to help me, withdraw, my, Home must cease to be.

I am, Sir, most respectfully yours,
JAMES SMITH,
2 Craignestock Place,
Glasgow.

[The paragraph referred to in the Ardrossan Herald is as follows:-

It gratifies us to be able to state that this excellent institution has so gained upon public confidence that Mr. Smith is not likely to fail from want of funds. Without canvassing for a single subscription friends have so liberally provided for his needs, that there is a surplus in the bank for future contingencies. Only thus can the stability of the institution be secured, but it says much for its practical value, when it can find support in the community without the dunning of a paid canvasser. In a letter received from Mr. Smith, he mentions, in addition to former sums, the receipt of £20, £10, £5, £3, and other small sums, which will all be noticed in the annual report. We need not add that he writes gratefully of the several donors, and hopefully of a scheme which at little cost he has proved to be of great value to many poor people, who require a change for a few days from the crowded lanes of the city to the free bracing air of the coast. The house is still full.]
Last edited by Penny Tray on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 FEBRUARY 1908

SALTCOATS POST OFFICE SITE

Last night in the Town Hall, Saltcoats, a public meeting of ratepayers was held to take into consideration the proposed change of site for the new Post Office about to be erected in Saltcoats.

Bailie A. S. Millar presided.

Mr. William R. Bogle moved, “That this meeting is of opinion that it is absolutely necessary for the wellbeing and prosperity of the town, particularly the commercial and trading portion of it, that the proposed new Post Office should be built on a central site in proximity to the trading portion of the town, and they desire to urge upon the Post Office authorities in making the selection of the site that those two important features should not be lost sight of.”

Mr. James Walker seconded, and the resolution was unanimously adopted.

It was agreed on the motion of Mr. John Dunlop, president of the Merchants’ Association, to forward copies of the resolution to the Postmaster-General, the Postal Surveyor in Edinburgh, and the Hon. Thomas Cochrane, M.P., for North Ayrshire.

A large committee, with Mr. John Miller, Town Chamberlain, as honorary secretary, was appointed to deal with the matter.

In the course of discussion, it was explained that the proposed new site was in Chapelwell Street, in a position which was described as most unsuitable for the business people of the town.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 FEBRUARY 1909

DEATH

MacGREGOR: At 26 Stanley Road, Saltcoats, on the 26th instant, Mary Stewart, widow of John MacGregor, dairyman, late of Govan.