Ardeer Quarry LNR Public Consultation

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Ardeer Quarry LNR Public Consultation

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Yes, i agree there are benefits for more wild creatures in having a swamp area instead of open water. However the public like to see things and in summer there's a good chance the area could dry out. Lets look at what the area use to be like. From the field extending to the railwy there was a large pond surrounded with wild iris with a small reed bed to the east. The pond never dried out and was full of moss and clumps of wild iris(yellow flowers) where rails, grebes and ducks bred and it also had a pair of mute swans. There was also a large population of reed buntings and in summer loads of warblers. The field had three main clumps of reed bed starting at Gavin's pond which was the main one and it never dried out due to the moss. It was incredibly rich in aquatic life and there's good reason to think the new pond if left alone, most of it will revert back to that state. The water quality in the iris pond was good most of the ferrous salts being held back by the extensive reed bed in the field the other side of the road. Unfortunately this was drained and lost. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

You touch on an interesting issue that has popped-up from time to time when discussing the wetland with the Council. You described how the previous pond used to look, and some would argue that if we’re aiming to recreate what was ‘historically’ there, then it would make sense to approximate the old pond. However, some would argue that the old pond itself was unnatural, a result of the artificial changes to the hydrology of the area brought about by the creation of the canal, drainage system and sandstone quarry. Prior to these changes, the site would have been marsh/swamp/fen/seasonally flooded grassland.

Whatever kind of wetland is present on the site in 50 years time, it’ll be an improvement over what’s there now!

Iain

PS We'll keep trying to get permission to improve the environs of the Ardeer Rec Pond. I've got a funny feeling though that the short-lived phase of NAC declaring sites as Local Nature Reserves has long passed and the Rec Pond will most likely remain outside the formal Local Nature Reserve boundary.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

iain wrote:PS We'll keep trying to get permission to improve the environs of the Ardeer Rec Pond. I've got a funny feeling though that the short-lived phase of NAC declaring sites as Local Nature Reserves has long passed and the Rec Pond will most likely remain outside the formal Local Nature Reserve boundary.
iain, it will be a year ago next month when I attended a public meeting held by the 3ts allotment group, it was the same night you had a " friends" meeting and I was unable to attend. The chairperson explained the negotiations they had with N.A.C in trying to identify land suitable for allotments, the rec/quarry area was out of the question due to commercial interests.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

iain wrote:You touch on an interesting issue that has popped-up from time to time when discussing the wetland with the Council. You described how the previous pond used to look, and some would argue that if we’re aiming to recreate what was ‘historically’ there, then it would make sense to approximate the old pond. However, some would argue that the old pond itself was unnatural, a result of the artificial changes to the hydrology of the area brought about by the creation of the canal, drainage system and sandstone quarry. Prior to these changes, the site would have been marsh/swamp/fen/seasonally flooded grassland.

Whatever kind of wetland is present on the site in 50 years time, it’ll be an improvement over what’s there now!

Iain

PS We'll keep trying to get permission to improve the environs of the Ardeer Rec Pond. I've got a funny feeling though that the short-lived phase of NAC declaring sites as Local Nature Reserves has long passed and the Rec Pond will most likely remain outside the formal Local Nature Reserve boundary.
Man's hand has created the countryside we have to-day. The classic example is of course the Norfolk broads. The old canal that Little Plum refers to was constructed when the place was landscaped. The recent dredging work has caused this ditch to be increasingly silted up and needs cleaned out. This is worrying for any future developments in the area.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

LP, I recall you mentioning these commercial interests before and I’ve always been curious as to what they are. Next time I talk to someone in the Council who should know about this, I’ll hopefully remember to ask them about the nature of these commercial interests.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

It’s been a while since I posted an update. Nothing concrete has happened over the past few months, but various projects have progressed and so there’s one or two things worth mentioning.

Currently, in order to walk a complete circuit of the reserve, you have to leave the reserve and walk along the pavement beside a busy road (the B752) before re-entering the reserve 100m or so further on. This is dangerous and unpleasant. We’ve struggled for about 5 years to get the Council to give us permission to create a new stretch of path to bypass the busy road. Every time we asked for permission, we were told ‘Leave it with us’ - they wanted to create the path themselves. They never did.

However, now it looks like something resembling a path will be created, perhaps in the autumn. Where there is currently dense grass, a route will be cut and maintained by strimming. Two bridges will be put in in order to cross the ditch that crosses the route of the path. It’ll be an interesting, long-awaited addition to the reserve.

A few years ago, we created a wildflower meadow by hiring a contractor to plough a field on the reserve and sow £1000 of wildflower seed. Almost no seed germinated. I suspect the seed might have gone mouldy over the winter before it was sown. The Council have agreed to re-sow the meadow and cut it once a year in late summer (i.e. manage it the way you’re supposed to manage a wildflower meadow). Even if the seed once gain mysteriously fails to germinate, cutting it once a year and removing the cuttings will maintain the field as a wildflower-rich area.

There are some other things in the pipeline, but I’ll post an update on them when they are agreed on with the Council.

Iain
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

iain wrote:However, now it looks like something resembling a path will be created, perhaps in the autumn.
Iain
Great news iain and thanks for the update. The vehicles that use the " new road" travel at a alarming rate and with the overgrown hedgerow you had to walk on the edge of the kerb, it spoiled what is a very pleasurable stroll. When I relayed this news to my better half she was delighted but sceptical as to work being completed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

LP, your better half is indeed wise to be sceptical. If the project were in the group’s hands, then I could give you assurances; however, the project depends instead on several Council departments and affiliated organisations. I am uncharacteristically confident this time, however, that this project will be completed soon.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

On reading this I became curious about the B752 road and googled it and found this link showing a list of the Listed Buildings of Stevenston, far more than I imagined.
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... stevenston
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

ARB, that’s a very interesting link. It’s going to keep North Ayrshire Council busy for years knocking all these down!

I’ve never know Kerelaw Castle to be given an exact address before - 21 Campbell Avenue.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

iain wrote:I’ve never know Kerelaw Castle to be given an exact address before - 21 Campbell Avenue.
Odd, I know for sure that the closest house to Kerelaw Castle in Campbell Avenue is number 53. :?
Could 21 be a typo?
Kerelaw Castle
Grade B
21 Campbell Avenue, Stevenston, North Ayrshire
Kerelaw Castle, Bridge
Grade B
55 Campbell Avenue, Stevenston, North Ayrshire
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I was having a pleasant stroll around the reserve today with my good lady when suddenly the joy was lost. I came across what was to me new sites of arson, a notice/information board and a seat. When are these morons going to leave the place alone, if they want to see flames, why don't they experiment in their own property. :evil:
I have increasing problems with my hip and leg and the seats around the quarry provide me with some much needed rest which eases the pain. I am so annoyed.