Burns tavern

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Burns tavern

Post by glenshena »

Just passing the time on Internet this morning, noticed that the renowned Burns Tavern is up for sale. Along with the Green shutters restaurant and Morris's steakhouse on the Largs front. Also the newspaper shop next to Greggs in Dockhead Street. The Green shutters, in my opinion lacks parking space to be successful, and its very cramped inside. Morris's not accepting credit cards was his downfall. It's been on the market for years, in such a prime position the asking price must be very high. I've never been to the Burns Tavern, but I've heard its a very busy place.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Burns tavern

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Glenshena,
I'm afraid you're going to have to remind some of us what and where these places are. :(
JD.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

The Burns Tavern is on Irvine High Street, the Green Shutters in Largs as is Morris's restaurant. The Newspaper shop in Dockhead street is in Saltcoats.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

The Burns Tavern - situated close to the Portal Leisure Centre in the High Street, Irvine - is a pub/lounge bar/ I remember well from the mid-70's, as one of my mate's was an amateur DJ in those days and got a few bookings there.
It was called "The Mercat Cross" back then.
Last edited by michaelm on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Didn't realise the burns was up for sale again (it has changed hands quite frequently over the past few years) I passed it yesterday and never even noticed.
Those wimin were in the nip.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Burn's Tavern might still be own by NAC, and has a high rental(If NAC sold it off, it will still have the high rent)

Morris's non Credit card ? The charges were about 2.5 percent years ago but things changed about 2005, some businesses are levied 9% and then there is the "Floor or Till Limit"that the figure where you need to refer it to the Card Issuer, and If the bar is hit with frequent Stolen Card transaction( through no fault of themselves ).
They have a problem
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Thanks for all the updates. I remember the Mercat Cross, and the Green Shutters rings a bell.
JD.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

The Green Shutters restaurant in Largs was a great success owned by Nardinis for many years up till about 3 years ago when it changed hands.