Local Elections - An Opportunity to Stuff May

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Local Elections - An Opportunity to Stuff May

Post by GEODGC »

Retsum wrote:The debate has moved away from what I had originally hoped for when I started this topic. It is focussing more on whether or not Scotland could or should be independent and I would have thought that would be more relevant when a referendum is actually triggered.

My original concern was the dismissive contempt May was showing to the Scottish Parliament which had quite legitimately asked for a second referendum. My question was could we, should we punish her by sweeping the Tories out of local government at the conveniently timed elections in May? Is it realistic to appeal to people to suspend traditional loyalties and vote strategically? I would have thought that whatever your politics you would at least be offended by her attitude to Scotland's Parliament.
To be honest I think the Conservatives will make some gains across Scotland. It might go against the grain but I think Ruth Davidson comes across well and is a good politician. That's not to say I will be voting Tory, If I'm being honest, I don't know who I'm going to vote for. One things for sure, it won't be for the SNP, they have taken their eye of the ball and have become a one trick pony. I think a lot of people are sick fed up of their games. Time will tell I suppose.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

stivis wrote:If you go back and read the link I posted of the A and S Herald
And tell me what you read into it
O.k., I've reread the article and my take is that here is a guy who has been there, done that and does not fancy doing it again. Although he says he is not interested in national politics, I would not be surprised if he offered himself as an MSP candidate. Have I missed something?
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I think Ruth Davidson comes across well and is a good politician.
You are having a laugh!!
She's a mental case, Putin in widescreen
a right nasty piece of work and someone who purports to being a Christian
Her hissy fits are a joy on you tube
Have I missed something?
It's the way he rattled about money, councillors not well paid ,
Folk in his constituency on £3800 per annum and him on 10times that, plus he's less than clear about the departure, as rumours circulate over the departures of other long time councillors, Did they go or were they pushed?
What he said about being an ordinary councillor and being in opposition
And coming back from holiday to a " down tools" kind of says that returned to a coup, so was behind that?
Willie instead of Kenneth as MSP,certainly better by a mile
Have a look at some of the recent Scotsman/Herald stories the McMafia couple in South Lanarkshire gives a bit of insight ,I suppose it's more of what is not said
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

stivis wrote:
I think Ruth Davidson comes across well and is a good politician.
You are having a laugh!!
She's a mental case, Putin in widescreen
a right nasty piece of work and someone who purports to being a Christian
Her hissy fits are a joy on you tube
Have I missed something?
Nope, I think she comes across well and deals with Sturgeon and the SNP regularly at Holyrood.She tells a lot of home truths that don't go down well with supporters of Independence or nationalists in general. BTW! what makes you say she's a nasty piece of work and Putin in widescreen? You've lost me with that one??

It's the way he rattled about money, councillors not well paid ,
Folk in his constituency on £3800 per annum and him on 10times that, plus he's less than clear about the departure, as rumours circulate over the departures of other long time councillors, Did they go or were they pushed?
What he said about being an ordinary councillor and being in opposition
And coming back from holiday to a " down tools" kind of says that returned to a coup, so was behind that?
Willie instead of Kenneth as MSP,certainly better by a mile
Have a look at some of the recent Scotsman/Herald stories the McMafia couple in South Lanarkshire gives a bit of insight ,I suppose it's more of what is not said
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Putin and the horse back up thing, and up against military vehicles
Davidson and the Buffaloes, tanks , Il Duce posing (Mussolini)
go and have a look at the hissy fits
see for a BBC reporter she is really poor at reporting ,she plays english figures in stead of the scottish one , she decries Scotland at every opportunity, Gouldie was much more accomplished , and Murdo Fraser would have been much better as leader,
Davidson is a list MSP is she not

and you don't get the Windscreen comment ,
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

stivis wrote:Putin and the horse back up thing, and up against military vehicles
Davidson and the Buffaloes, tanks , Il Duce posing (Mussolini)
go and have a look at the hissy fits
see for a BBC reporter she is really poor at reporting ,she plays english figures in stead of the scottish one , she decries Scotland at every opportunity, Gouldie was much more accomplished , and Murdo Fraser would have been much better as leader,
Davidson is a list MSP is she not

and you don't get the Windscreen comment ,
Your answer is a bit 'out there' Stivis, while trying not to appear rude, I'm not sure what you are trying to say in some of your posts to be honest. With Davidson I suppose it depends what coloured specs you are looking through. I think she comes across really well and will go a long way in politics. Having said that, I genuinely have no particular allegiance to any political party, my mother and father would probably turn in their grave at that thought, they blindly voted Labour as far as I could tell, but that was in an era when your voting intention was considered private. Changed days indeed.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

There is stuff that I Cant say But you can find it IF you look,
3 out of 4 friends say I shouldn't ,not because it's lies or I could get sued , you can't get sued for the truth
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

stivis wrote:Just binning Davidson's mob at council level , will have NO impact on May , for one she doesn't care , and she would only say they are only Scottish Conservatives ommiting the "and Unionist Party"
I don't understand this. The Lib-Dems demonstrated that the way to increase national representation was to dig in at local level. Get local councillors elected, get control of local councils and use these power bases as a springboard to get nation candidates elected. It worked but they then threw it all away by going into coalition with the Tories. So I reckon that wiping out local Tory bases would be of concern at Westminster and would hurt May. The question is would it be realistic to ask people to vote tactically?
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Retsum wrote:
stivis wrote:Just binning Davidson's mob at council level , will have NO impact on May , for one she doesn't care , and she would only say they are only Scottish Conservatives ommiting the "and Unionist Party"
I don't understand this. The Lib-Dems demonstrated that the way to increase national representation was to dig in at local level. Get local councillors elected, get control of local councils and use these power bases as a springboard to get nation candidates elected. It worked but they then threw it all away by going into coalition with the Tories. So I reckon that wiping out local Tory bases would be of concern at Westminster and would hurt May. The question is would it be realistic to ask people to vote tactically?
The point is Tories do not need Scottish Tory led councils to win a General Election. Lib-Dem was not in Government power by itself.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Local Elections - Returning to the debate

Post by exile »

With reference to Retsum's point about returning the thread to the original debate on independence, the question "Should Scotland be an independent country?" always struck me as very similar to others like "Should there be world peace?" or "Should every child have enough to eat?", because the answer is always "Yes" when politics and economics are removed.
I hope that any referendum re-run poses a more pragmatic question.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Unfortunately the Liberals are what they have become "graspy quest for power chancers" the days of Grimmond and Steele are by with,Vince cable was at best OK but limited in action by the Tories, Clegg could have made a diference, unfortunately he became the UK's Jim Wallace, Deputies sucking up to the Leader,
There used to be a lot of Liberal councils in Scotland , I think now they don't have anywhere they are in control, instead, in Scotland, they are in partnership with mostly labour ,but their preferred partnership is the Tories, From memory they always pick the Tories first

Honourable mentioons
Lloyd George was good for reforms
Michael Moore did his best
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

If or when a second referendum is on the cards, either Hughie or I will open a new topic where you can record your yes/no vote and post comments - so could we keep the local elections as the topic for now please? :wink: