Local Elections - An Opportunity to Stuff May

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Local Elections - An Opportunity to Stuff May

Post by 5siamese7 »

I didn't know that we have a gross domestic product as high as that. So don't we qualify then?
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

A shining example to the World Bill!!!

No defences / nuclear deterrents.

Aye.. We will be shining when our country rockets to the moon!!!!

Sturgeon is for Sturgeon. We would be like dominoes, all collapsing in a row.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

GEODGC wrote:A great point well made. :roll: You seem to make a habit out of having snide digs at people on here. There really is no need. Btw, please tell me what is incorrect about what I have said.
It wasn't meant as a snide dig Geo, the intention was a wee bit of humour. Lighten up a bit. :)

I think what you said there was nothing more than an opinion that you're trying to pass off as a factual argument simply to suit your own anti-nationalist views. Though no doubt, you'll disagree.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

We stole the Stone of Scone (and gave one back !!!)
Am I the only one to pick up on that?
without a drop of blood being spilled
.save for the blood EDL / NF/associated Trash inflicted on 19/9/2014
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

GEODGC wrote:To honest I'm more outraged by Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP going against what a huge number of Scots want.
Yes Geo, but it wasn't exactly a huge majority win for the 'No' camp in the IndyRef though. Far from it, in fact it was actually a fairly close contest as a huge number of Scots also voted for Independence.
GEODGC wrote:This is what she said about another referendum......
“And I, of course, respect the decision that our country made last year. So let me be clear: to propose another referendum in the next parliament, without strong evidence that a significant number of those who voted no have changed their minds, would be wrong and we won’t do that. It would not be respecting the decision that people have made.”

This has been forgotten apparently.
It should be obvious that the way folk voted on the E.U. issue here in Scotland has helped give the SNP fuel to believe that a significant number of IndyRef 'No' voters might well change their minds now.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

michaelm wrote:
GEODGC wrote:A great point well made. :roll: You seem to make a habit out of having snide digs at people on here. There really is no need. Btw, please tell me what is incorrect about what I have said.
It wasn't meant as a snide dig Geo, the intention was a wee bit of humour. Lighten up a bit. :)

I think what you said there was nothing more than an opinion that you're trying to pass off as a factual argument simply to suit your own anti-nationalist views. Though no doubt, you'll disagree.
Calling somebody a basket case comes across as snide to me.

As for what I said...what part is opinion? We have the highest public spending deficit in Europe if memory serves me right. That gap would have to be plugged in an independent Scotland, the only way to plug it would be higher taxes and cuts to public services. That's not going to win many votes though is it, instead we hear phrases like 'it will be a fairer society', 'if we can get our hands on the levers of power we would be better off' etc etc. Stuff that reality is just bluster.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Who stole all the scones??
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

GEODGC wrote:Calling somebody a basket case comes across as snide to me.
Now now, to be fair wasn't it you yourself who first used the term 'Basket Case' in relation to how you would view an Independent Scotland ?
GEODGC wrote:As for what I said...what part is opinion? We have the highest public spending deficit in Europe if memory serves me right. That gap would have to be plugged in an independent Scotland, the only way to plug it would be higher taxes and cuts to public services. That's not going to win many votes though is it, instead we hear phrases like 'it will be a fairer society', 'if we can get our hands on the levers of power we would be better off' etc etc. Stuff that reality is just bluster.
To simplify things here Geo - I've never been one to involve myself in futile political debates online that often go on forever then amount to absolutely zero - it's the part about how we couldn't possibly prosper these days as an Independent country, as that seems to be what your whole argument is based upon.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

michaelm wrote:
GEODGC wrote:Calling somebody a basket case comes across as snide to me.
Now now, to be fair wasn't it you yourself who first used the term 'Basket Case' in relation to how you would view an Independent Scotland ?
GEODGC wrote:As for what I said...what part is opinion? We have the highest public spending deficit in Europe if memory serves me right. That gap would have to be plugged in an independent Scotland, the only way to plug it would be higher taxes and cuts to public services. That's not going to win many votes though is it, instead we hear phrases like 'it will be a fairer society', 'if we can get our hands on the levers of power we would be better off' etc etc. Stuff that reality is just bluster.
To simplify things here Geo - I've never been one to involve myself in futile political debates online that often go on forever then amount to absolutely zero - it's the part about how we couldn't possibly prosper these days as an Independent country, as that seems to be what your whole argument is based upon.
Of course it was me that mentioned basket case first, you quoted my comment. That doesn't mean you or anyone else can just dish out personal abuse. I'm a firm believer in only saying online what I would say to somebody if I was standing next to them in a pub.

My argument isn't that we couldn't possibly prosper, my argument is that we would be starting from a very bad position, and nobody can say just how bad with any certainty. It's akin to asking somebody to jump out of an open window without telling them how many floors up they are. If people were more honest on both sides we might be in a better position.
As you say, these arguments go round and round, people are generally entrenched in their own opinion and won't budge. I for one can't be arsed with another couple of years of bickering between friends, family, workmates etc
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

The debate has moved away from what I had originally hoped for when I started this topic. It is focussing more on whether or not Scotland could or should be independent and I would have thought that would be more relevant when a referendum is actually triggered.

My original concern was the dismissive contempt May was showing to the Scottish Parliament which had quite legitimately asked for a second referendum. My question was could we, should we punish her by sweeping the Tories out of local government at the conveniently timed elections in May? Is it realistic to appeal to people to suspend traditional loyalties and vote strategically? I would have thought that whatever your politics you would at least be offended by her attitude to Scotland's Parliament.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The 2 indy and local government aren't interconnected per se and booting out the Tories is further removed ,
Just binning Davidson's mob at council level , will have NO impact on May , for one she doesn't care
, and she would only say they are only Scottish Conservatives ommiting the "and Unionist Party"

However I am not inspired by the behaviour of the SNP, in fact I'm appalled by it, The SNP are supposed to be a Social Democratic left of Centre party
If you go back and read the link I posted of the A and S Herald
And tell me what you read into it
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

GEODGC wrote:Of course it was me that mentioned basket case first, you quoted my comment. That doesn't mean you or anyone else can just dish out personal abuse. I'm a firm believer in only saying online what I would say to somebody if I was standing next to them in a pub.
There was no personal abuse dished out Geo and I'd be happy to repeat anything I've said to you on here in a pub. :lol: