gypsies

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

gypsies

Post by 5siamese7 »

Each year Stevenston is visited with gypsies who as I understand it come over from Ireland. The Ardeer Quarry park has been used by these folk who leave a mess and quite frankly its disgusting. This morning a machine was making mounds just up from the entrance to the park from the Moorpark East side I imagine to stop them taking their caravans on to the park. Kind of feel the law hasn't got to grips with this problem.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: gypsies

Post by sweet caroline »

We have gypsies that park up the country in Beith every year, leave about mar/apr. Since the council started charging for uplifts, people leave then out for the gypsies to take.,They have been coming here since before 1978.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote:Each year Stevenston is visited with gypsies who as I understand it come over from Ireland. The Ardeer Quarry park has been used by these folk who leave a mess and quite frankly its disgusting. This morning a machine was making mounds just up from the entrance to the park from the Moorpark East side I imagine to stop them taking their caravans on to the park. Kind of feel the law hasn't got to grips with this problem.
Even if the encampment is illegal, local councils still have a duty to go onto the site, provide litter bins/bags - and remove them when filled, ensure parents know where the nearest school is to register children and where the closest doctor is. Gypsy/Travellers are of a recognised ethnic origin, and their lifestyle has to be acknowledged and accepted - by their very name - they travel! Perhaps the "problem" is that NAC isn't recognising their responsibilities. Redburn site is full by the way so unable to take in any more travellers at the moment.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Seems to me, the gypsies we had in Stinston, took care of the place better than the residents did.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

I remember when the Gypsies came every year. They camped up in the wee woods not far from where I lived. We made friends with the kids...
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
cdarnott
Settling In
Settling In

Post by cdarnott »

is a shame we judge people who don't conform to our way of living , I know travellers get the sharp end of the stick and some justifiably so, but some who are not of that persuasion are every bit as bad as i'm sure we have all witnessed
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

cdarnott wrote:is a shame we judge people who don't conform to our way of living , I know travellers get the sharp end of the stick and some justifiably so, but some who are not of that persuasion are every bit as bad as i'm sure we have all witnessed
Absolutely cdarnott- I work closely with the Travellers community, and I see both sides every day. There are equally lovely and not so lovely in each of our communities, and there are some things I don't agree with in their lives - but I really have learned (probably for the first real time in my life) to live and let live. I wouldn't trade my life for a travelling woman's but goodness, I admire them - and don't get me started on their cleanliness - I thought I kept a reasonably clean house but .....

As an aside, Travellers are Scottish - Gypsies are English, Irish, European etc. Our "correct" ethnic origin label is Gypsy/Traveller.

Meg (Gorger or countryman)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

You get out of bed, go to the toilet, down the stairs, put the kettle on, pull the curtains and what do you see a line of White caravans. Dont think so.......
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

brian f wrote:You get out of bed, go to the toilet, down the stairs, put the kettle on, pull the curtains and what do you see a line of White caravans. Dont think so.......
Last I checked, it is a free world where we all should live in peace...lucky you to have a bed and a toilet and curtains. Live and let live.
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Meg wrote:
cdarnott wrote:is a shame we judge people who don't conform to our way of living , I know travellers get the sharp end of the stick and some justifiably so, but some who are not of that persuasion are every bit as bad as i'm sure we have all witnessed
Absolutely cdarnott- I work closely with the Travellers community, and I see both sides every day. There are equally lovely and not so lovely in each of our communities, and there are some things I don't agree with in their lives - but I really have learned (probably for the first real time in my life) to live and let live. I wouldn't trade my life for a travelling woman's but goodness, I admire them - and don't get me started on their cleanliness - I thought I kept a reasonably clean house but .....

As an aside, Travellers are Scottish - Gypsies are English, Irish, European etc. Our "correct" ethnic origin label is Gypsy/Traveller.

Meg (Gorgia or countryman)
Meg it cost the company I work for £8k plus to build a fence around our premises, because travelling people decided they wanted to take over our carpark twice a year (not to mention the rubbish they left) and court fees to move them on. I'm all for live and let live but these people are Not Gypsies they are freeloaders rant over.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Catherine Belle wrote:
brian f wrote:You get out of bed, go to the toilet, down the stairs, put the kettle on, pull the curtains and what do you see a line of White caravans. Dont think so.......
Last I checked, it is a free world where we all should live in peace...lucky you to have a bed and a toilet and curtains. Live and let live.
My sympathies are for the members of the ex service- personnel who have not adapted to civvy street and are homeless without a bed.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Its a way of life that does not fit into to-days society and can I say I don't know why anyone would want to defend them? Look at the status of young lassies in there society.