gypsies

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: gypsies

Post by Meg »

glenshena wrote:Italy is rife with these ' Travellers' or ROM as they are known here being so near to Romania and Yugoslavia. Since they opened the borders Its a continuous flow. Unfortunately the children, especially girls, are taught how to break in and steal from peoples houses. Even if they are arrested they are let go because they are all under age. They have set up camps everywhere, and don't pay any kind of rent to the council. Salvini won the referendum because his intention is to make them pay rent and get these children into school.
This is what I have been trying to say Glenshena - all Gypsies are not the same - Travellers are Scottish. English, Irish and European are called gypsies, then there are Roma - who come, I think originally from the Balkans.

Most of the Travellers I know are hard working, pay their way and live their life looking after their kids. The Great Big Gypsy whatevers are really far removed from the families I know. On the other hand, there are rascals - as there are anywhere. All our travelling kids go to school.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote:Well that was bad planning siting them there if it was a place liable to flooding. Another three towner has stated things that happened in another country and can I say my sister in law was robbed by gypsy children in Spain. Its a way of life that most of us don't understand and frankly if everyone lived like them it would be total madness no drains ,no courts, no civilisation, the law of the jungle, I respect your concerns but their way of life is nuts.
Maybe by making a little effort to get to know their way of life there might be a bit more tolerance. Oh, and they are bound by the same laws as everyone else - and their lifestyle can be traced back for 1000 years.

I thought we were a' Jock Tamson's bairns!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Meg so can our lifestyles but we want a better way to live and they can be construed as a threat to any society. I do not believe anybody will give them any more support than I have.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote:Meg so can our lifestyles but we want a better way to live and they can be construed as a threat to any society. I do not believe anybody will give them any more support than I have.
Where's the threat to any society? Their trailers are worth more than most small houses, they run valid businesses throughout Ayrshire, pay their taxes and rates and contribute to society. I know this because I teach their children and interact with the families.

If you were to substitute Pakistani for Gypsy or traveller in your posts, would it still sound ok to you? Both are different ethnic origins from you or I.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

Meg wrote:
5siamese7 wrote:Meg so can our lifestyles but we want a better way to live and they can be construed as a threat to any society. I do not believe anybody will give them any more support than I have.
Where's the threat to any society? Their trailers are worth more than most small houses, they run valid businesses throughout Ayrshire, pay their taxes and rates and contribute to society. I know this because I teach their children and interact with the families.

If you were to substitute Pakistani for Gypsy or traveller in your posts, would it still sound ok to you? Both are different ethnic origins from you or I.
I think you are looking at this through rose tinted specs here Meg. You are being very naive if you think they pay all their taxes, I'd be willing to bet they declare nothing or very little of what they earn to the tax man, they don't pay any council tax either but use up plenty council resources.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

The ones who camped in sandy hills just behind old St. John's were very quiet in general, kept to themselves. My older sis, Elise and I walk by that way at dinnertime up to gran's in Glencairn street, there were two young girls about our age we smiled at and they smiled back shyly. Elise says to me let's go talk to them, so we did, usual stuff...they basically just nodded or shrugged...until Elise said 'You speak Romany, right?' Boy their faces lit up and we stood talking for ages. When we had to leave we said goodbye and as walked away, turned and waved as did they. There were men outside doing clean up, and a few dogs at the camp and I know darn well if we'd been abusive we'd have known all about it! We looked forward to seeing them next day but they were gone :( The place clean as could be. This was late 50's / early 60's. I know that some are trashy now, going my wee sis Mairi, up to Irvine on a bus, she nudges me and points to corner of a small field, trash strewn, 'Travellers'. Made me sad but who can prove is them thhey camped there, fair enough, I remember later the girls would go door to door selling stuff...a bag of clothes pins, or a wee plastic plant in a wee plastic pot, etc we always bought something. Learned much later a lot of folk believed if you didn't they'd hex you!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

A gypsy delivered my gran's baby. Nobody to help.. Many years ago... Gypsies did it. Wise old women. Never underestimate.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Where i live in Cambridge they are called travellers or pikeys i have never heard them called gypsies.

These people hide behind the facade of religion while plundering church/chapel roofs for lead, Enter the local shops in large numbers using distraction to rob or simply will just stop anybody in the street and rob them of a mobile phone, cash, cycle etc.

The local nursery school once had to close for a week due to health and safety issues (human waste) when they decided to camp illegaly.

Over ten years ago i had the pleasure of working with a fellow Glaswegian an ex Soldier who decided to settle here and joined the Royal Mail, he was murdered by travellers but try as hard as the police did they could not gather enough evidence and the coroner had no option but to record an open verdict.

"There are people who know what happened in the pub that night but they have no conscience and will never come forward
Peter Stone's wife, Cheryl

Taken from the bbc news channel."

Finally when one of these people return to the "CHURCH" for funeral the police are out in force due to the heavy congestion, part of the City comes to a standstill.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

meg, i am going to agree totally with you, it is a small minority that give travellers a bad name, not as if house dwellers never commit crime is it. they may be nomadic but that is their life, they have values and in the main are a lot harder working than many, you rarely see them on benefits

lot of racism on this thread
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

aland wrote:meg, i am going to agree totally with you, it is a small minority that give travellers a bad name, not as if house dwellers never commit crime is it. they may be nomadic but that is their life, they have values and in the main are a lot harder working than many, you rarely see them on benefits

Don't know it's racism or MSM are getting so right wing and may swalow it hook line and sinker :(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

aland wrote:meg, i am going to agree totally with you, it is a small minority that give travellers a bad name, not as if house dwellers never commit crime is it. they may be nomadic but that is their life, they have values and in the main are a lot harder working than many, you rarely see them on benefits

aland, Why do you refer to Meg who is not the author of this thread, by doing that you are making it more personal. I seem to remember you had a bit of a problem with the clientele around the area of Saltcoats job centre and yet you imply members are racist on this thread.The mind boggles :roll:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: aland, Why do you refer to Meg who is not the author of this thread, by doing that you are making it more personal. I seem to remember you had a bit of a problem with the clientele around the area of Saltcoats job centre and yet you imply members are racist on this thread.The mind boggles :roll:
Brian, aland is simply agreeing with my post - it's what we do when we debate a topic.

In response to your earlier post, I have been mugged and my bag stolen (someone from Stevenson, not a traveller), my car broken into (someone from Ardrossan, not a traveller), my best friend assaulted in a Saltcoats pub and her boyfriend stabbed (someone from Ardrossan, not a traveller) - there's dregs in every society - I even had my purse stolen in the Thai restaurant in Cambridge! By the way Pikey is a pretty bad derogatory expression.