Arran ferry

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Arran ferry

Post by sweet caroline »

The Gowfer wrote:
stivis wrote:It's not a simple as that ,Stranraer and Cairnryan bus links

Stranraer and Cairnryan are about 7 miles apart
Troon to the Station are ,as I said , 1.5ish miles as the crow flies

P&O shut down the Troon to Larne service and operates from Stranrear to Belfast with 2 services per day less than the Crainryan link,
I have little doubt that the Brodich to Troon will be cut correspondingly, as well.
If P&O now seek to run this service, why cut it as unviable in January 2016?
Why was there no funding available by the Pier companies, Note I say the Pier companies.
Not any Government agency!!.......
What's the phrase used in Chewin' the Fat?

A Bus Shuttle Service is less than ideal both cost wise, and long term, Troon has even less of the poor infra-structure that Ardrossan has.
Ardrossan will cost a lot less, and that's not to mention Arran residents wishes
Consider Troon to Crosshouse Hospital or Ayr Hospital , 10 miles and around 18 miles , they ain't straight forward journeys Time wise each would take around between 50 mins and 80 min
now double it for the return , and the bus frequencies aren't the 15 minutes that Ardrossan has

Taxi? Seriously, do you really want to go via Mossblown ?

It's hardly the Ferry's fault that the NI ferry doesn't operate from Troon , and it's now costing the Pier Company money .
Radical I know , but "Troon suck it up, you profited from previous demise(s) of Ardrossan"

Have a look round Troon It's hardly on it's erse like Ardossan!!! 25 years ago Troon was a bit run down but the property market is very strong and quite buoyant(more than the pier)

If you wanted to write to the Transport Minister that would do a lot of good , as you are the residents of the community( the 3 towns and it has, to a certain extent am impact on you )

Humza Yousaf MSP
Minister for Transport and the Islands
St. Andrew's House,
Regent Road,
Edinburgh,
EH1 3DG

Or Email

Humza Yousaf MSP
Minister for Transport
scottish.ministers@gov.scot....

I have distinctly bad feeling about this thread
I have a distinctly bad feeling about your spelling, grammar and general knowledge!!!!!
Well you will not like this fellow Kilwinkie. :lol:

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

brian f wrote:All members should be able to post comments within the board rules. As for members who criticize others for bad grammer they should be awarded a Yellow.
Aye, of course they should brian. I myself was recently 'Chastised' - if that's the right word - simply for posting vernacular comments on a forum that I was perfectly entitled to, but I just assumed the Mod. was a little confused re. the posting rules at the time.

Was that an intentional misspelling of the word Grammar by the way? :lol:

I think that members who band together in lynch mob fashion to verbally attack a single poster should be awarded a Red.
Personally I don't particularly disagree with anything stivis has said in this topic as I'm firmly in the "Keep the Arran Ferry in Ardrossan" Camp.
But to gang up on someone simply for expressing an opinion and being a tad pedantic in the process is very poor stuff. Mind you, it's not the first time I've seen this happening.

PS. To be absolutely clear and before the conspiracy theorists start putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5,
I have no idea at all who The Gowfer is.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Let's get back to and remain on topic please.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Letter going to transport minister.

PLEASE add your names and email addresses at:

http://www.saveourferry.co.uk

Only takes seconds!!!!!
Last edited by Vivc113 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Done :good:
Those wimin were in the nip.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Submitted :D
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Me too.
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Brill!!! The turn out at the Civic Centre Ardrossan to discuss the ferry was standing room only.

And.... A new ferry is apparently being built costing 48 million pounds. It is being described as 'A game changer' and will be much more capable of dealing with bad weather.

Source: ASH facebook page.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I see there is a 'Choose Troon Ferry Campaign' with all kinds of pro Troon ideas on facebook.

Check it out. :puter

You say black, they definitely are saying white.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I don't think I want to add to my original comments on the Troon proposals or their root.

Sans doute la critique attend de l'inculte
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Stivis... Do you know why the P + O service pulled out of Ardrossan years ago? I went on the Troon FB page to ask why they lost the P + O Troon service, only to be asked why WE lost it??

Never mind what people have to say about your criticising either (!!) :puter
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

It was from memory they were losing money ,it didn't fit in with their ideals and couple that with again the money per capita the amount of cargo (both human and flotsam) the boats were really old and P+O didn't want to invest in new boats which were up to date ( it was also the case of they couldn't use a ship from somewhere else and use a new one there.as they were too big)
If they do install a new service at Troon it will only last as long as the recent Campbeltown service

It all about P+O getting the money short term,because it wouldn't last long term

The well worn wally word cliche "The Business Model" doesn't stack up