What's happened.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's happened.

Post by Vivc113 »

How do you know the Kandy Bar and Greggs won't go out of business? Any bus can go nowadays.

I personally never liked either one of those two.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Super Mario
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Super Mario »

Just a wee thought. What do you think the Three Towns/North Ayrshire will look like in say 20 -30 years time? Not trying to hijack I don't think it will be much different. I have an Aunt who worked for Scottish Enterprise and she says millions has been poured into NA and it hasn't made much of a difference.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Super Mario, that's an interesting question. I recall reading an economic report commissioned by Irvine Bay Urban Regeneration Company about 10 years ago. I think the report quoted economic research that suggested the number of jobs in North Ayrshire would continue to fall for about another 20 years (10 years now) and then level out. However, the government predicts that the population of North Ayrshire will plummet over the next few decades, with working age people in particular disappearing. So there will be fewer jobs, but fewer working-age people needing jobs.

Also, as the number of old people grows (a bigger problem in North Ayrshire than in most places), the amount of money the Council will need to spend on them will increase, so there will be less Council spending on other things. So, financially, I'm not convinced that the Council will be in a better state than it is now.

I think you're right that nothing will have really changed in 20-30 years time. Over the past few years, some radical changes have been suggested. For example, the general mood among Stevenstonians during a public consultation on the town's future a few years ago was that a few tweaks here and there in the name of 'regeneration' will not achieve very much. Local people wanted a radical overhaul of the town centre. Similarly, I recall a few years ago Irvine Bay URC and some people in the Council liking the idea of creating massive forestry plantations around the perimeter of the town (presumably by working with farmers to convert from cattle farming to forestry) in order to radically increase its appeal as a leafy (ok, pine trees don't have leaves, but you know what I mean) commuter town. However, the Council doesn't seem able to do anything radical, so I don't anticipate much change at all in the local area.
Super Mario
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Super Mario »

I supose the number of working age people will plummet because there is no jobs so they move away to other places. It's not looking too promising is it?

I was reading in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald that NAC are wanting people for Community Councils to voice their opinions. I considered joining and saying about lack of jobs which is well known. But then I can't really think of a solution to create more jobs. Obviously we need more businesses interested in investing in NA but how do we encourage them in the first place? What has this area got to offer when Glasgow is up the road?