What's happened.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's happened.

Post by michaelm »

Newt wrote:The councils need to get their act together. Get these wee towns back on the map and pour some money into it. Regardless......I will be back as my family live there and I still love ardrossan regardless of what it looks like, but new shops to get the punters back down there, is what's needed. Anyone else with any thoughts?
michaelm wrote:My own thoughts are that the local authority/council currently don't have the resources to "pour" money into anything these days.
If you feel strongly enough about it though, maybe you should consider coming back and opening a wee shop yourself. Or would that be too much of a social wrench? It's not all doom and gloom down here.
Newt wrote:No it's not all doom and gloom but the council do have to get their prioritys right. Instead of big marinas......get their own buildings sorted. Research shows that if you keep social housing to a good standard then the people who live in them will take more pride. I remember the place from when I was young. Maybe my specs are tainted but they are not any more. When I go back, I feel that things have changed with high unemployment. It does look rundown there is high unemployment. And it's not about me opening shops which, may well happen upon my retirement, and it is not about me wrenching myself away from where I am, that's a bit of a slight from someone who doesn't know me ! I am down there often, I know where my roots are.....I'm very proud to be an Ayrshire girl.....I've nothing to be ashamed of.......I just see my hometown run down and would like people to know about it and hopefully help to get it sorted !!!
What's wrong with that? Or have people given up?
After almost a year, I'm wondering whether you've been cajoled into replying by the resident clique. :)
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

While I realise those of us who no longer live in the 3 toons maybe should shut the eff up..We grew up there, we care.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Well Morag maybe us who left should shut the eff up we see what it is now and compare to what it was then and get sad I don,t know what it is like to live in the 3ts now and don,t know what the people feel I have been criticised before on the site about being an outsider but I left to better myself and succeeded but I,m still a boy from Saltcoats
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

And I'm still Stinstin, heart and soul. And when I get back it's heart and joy and love I feel, not woe is me. If you don't like it make the change..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

It will be difficult tp reopen closed shops because now we have internet and many people do their.shopping on line. On the contrary, the delivery vans will see a big increase in their logistics businesses.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Even holidays are booked on the internet, no need for travel agencies like before in the 70s. Also estate agencies, all properties can be seen on the internet. Its a sign of th times. Rather than leave them boarded up, convert them into living quarters no?
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

You can put the blame for the decay in the fact that there are so many supermarkets and megastores nearby where people prefer to drive to so they have the car to load their shopping in.I can't see any hope for opening up of small shops, so man y have tried and closed in a year, look at Ethel Austins premises, has chan ged hands three times in three years.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Yes. And it looks like Ethel's is just about to change hands again.

Also difficult for staff who don't know whether they are coming or going.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Even the charity shops are closing down in Saltcoats!.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Even the charity shops are closing in Saltcoats!. Both in Dockhead Street.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Same in Largs too. Their Cancer Care is no more.

Didn't know about the Saltcoats shops.

Some of the charity shops are actually overpricing stuff..hate to say that but, as an example, a NEW top at Primark could cost less than an OLD top at a charity shop.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Having said that, it was a pleasant surprise to discover the new homeware/clothes shop in what used to be the indoor market in Windmill street. We spent a few pennies in there, and there is always someone buying. But the only shops that will never go out of business are chemists and of course the Kandy bar and Greggs.