What's happened.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's happened.

Post by morag »

michaelm wrote:
MANBEAR wrote:The only negative was when you said good morning to people in the street they looked at you as if you had horns.
Ian
Most folk here in the Threetowns are very friendly and helpful people. To suggest otherwise is nonsense.

morag wrote:Sorry to hear that Ian. Last few times I've been home I'm saddened to see quality shops closed to be replaced by pound shops and the like, and folk selling the big issue? on the streets.
Well well, the old 'Pound shops' and 'Big issue sellers' narrative being rolled out once again by someone who hasn't even lived here for decades.
I've yet to hear you say anything positive about the Threetowns these days morag. It's almost like you have an agenda.
:santa03:
Michael, you seem to have a problem with me. I love the 3 toons, lived there, worked there for many years. Just because I've been away many years - not by preference - doesn't mean I don't or can't have a voice. My wee sis is still there as is my heart. I just miss how it was. I know the folk are friendly and welcoming, my late US husband was amazed at that, how people wanted to talk to him. So, no, Michael, I have no agenda...do you?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

MANBEAR wrote:Machealm here we go again can nobody have an opinion but you have to rubbish it,I had a great visit this time if you were in the pub people spook but walking down the street that was different when you said good morning they just looked at you maybe it was my face.
manbear
I didn't rubbish your opinion, I gave my own in response to yours. Most folk here won't care what your face looks like, they'll happily smile at anyone who smiles at them.

morag, no one said you can't have a voice, but all you seem to do is criticise the Threetowns these days. Be a bit more positive and I'll maybe warm to your opinions.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

michaelm wrote:
MANBEAR wrote:Machealm here we go again can nobody have an opinion but you have to rubbish it,I had a great visit this time if you were in the pub people spook but walking down the street that was different when you said good morning they just looked at you maybe it was my face.
manbear
I didn't rubbish your opinion, I gave my own in response to yours. Most folk here won't care what your face looks like, they'll happily smile at anyone who smiles at them.

morag, no one said you can't have a voice, but all you seem to do is criticise the Threetowns these days. Be a bit more positive and I'll maybe warm to your opinions.
I don't need you to 'warm to my opinions' Michael. I walked the length and breadth of the 3 towns and beyond in my day and the area, Girvan to Irvine to Greenock (and Glasgow) dear to my heart. It's just sad to see it, although possibly more prosperous, poorer.
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Yip, I agree, you don't need me to warm to your negative opinions about the Threetowns these days morag.

The staff in the Poundland store in Saltcoats however, would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Any local Big Issue sellers would also like to convey their best wishes for the festive season to all.
:santa03:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Perhaps the first page of this topic should be re-read. Note, people were just giving there opinions as they saw the situation. Being rude and attacking such opinions isn't the way to go - discuss and perhaps give alternative views without appearing to demean others.

I'm closing this topic for 72 hours!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Stinston is we are told a deprived area. This is great for our morale I don't think. This morning I went to the local supermarket at the cross. I met this tall emaciated young man who seemed to speak in some strange language which I could not understand but it was sort of Scottish. He noticed that I had a fist clenched (only because it held a pound coin for the supermarket trolley). He then said where could he buy a hot roll and I directed him to a shop and he said Molly's. A junkie trying to get money and not a nice situation to find yourself in. The supermarket wasn't busy but the predominate accent was from eastern European countries. Stinstin no more.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Someone said good morning to me today, which made me happy. People in 3 toons don't tend to forget each other. I have fairly recently started the facebook and got all my school pals back. Well, most of them!!

The economy has so affected these towns, and nobody really puts the big money into the toons.

What supermarket at X, Bill? There is no supermarket at the cross.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivy ,cut a bit of slack I mean Lidels.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Oh. I hate that place. Always feels like a warehouse for some reason.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Its a very interesting place, they will have an Italian week or a French week where you can buy snails and other delights.The quality of their meat is very good and at least a third cheaper than the major supermarkets. Their gigot lamb is pure dead brilliant as are their fee range chickens. The staff are very friendly and can't help you enough. Another plus not so many screaming children.
Newt
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Newt »

michaelm wrote:
Newt wrote:The councils need to get their act together. Get these wee towns back on the map and pour some money into it. Regardless......I will be back as my family live there and I still love ardrossan regardless of what it looks like, but new shops to get the punters back down there, is what's needed. Anyone else with any thoughts?
My own thoughts are that the local authority/council currently don't have the resources to "pour" money into anything these days.
If you feel strongly enough about it though, maybe you should consider coming back and opening a wee shop yourself. Or would that be too much of a social wrench?

It's not all doom and gloom down here.

No it's not all doom and gloom but the council do have to get their prioritys right. Instead of big marinas......get their own buildings sorted. Research shows that if you keep social housing to a good standard then the people who live in them will take more pride. I remember the place from when I was young. Maybe my specs are tainted but they are not any more. When I go back, I feel that things have changed with high unemployment. It does look rundown there is high unemployment. And it's not about me opening shops which, may well happen upon my retirement, and it is not about me wrenching myself away from where I am, that's a bit of a slight from someone who doesn't know me ! I am down there often, I know where my roots are.....I'm very proud to be an Ayrshire girl.....I've nothing to be ashamed of.......I just see my hometown run down and would like people to know about it and hopefully help to get it sorted !!!
What's wrong with that? Or have people given up?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Newt wrote:
michaelm wrote:
Newt wrote:The councils need to get their act together. Get these wee towns back on the map and pour some money into it. Regardless......I will be back as my family live there and I still love ardrossan regardless of what it looks like, but new shops to get the punters back down there, is what's needed. Anyone else with any thoughts?
My own thoughts are that the local authority/council currently don't have the resources to "pour" money into anything these days.
If you feel strongly enough about it though, maybe you should consider coming back and opening a wee shop yourself. Or would that be too much of a social wrench?

It's not all doom and gloom down here.

No it's not all doom and gloom but the council do have to get their prioritys right. Instead of big marinas......get their own buildings sorted. Research shows that if you keep social housing to a good standard then the people who live in them will take more pride. I remember the place from when I was young. Maybe my specs are tainted but they are not any more. When I go back, I feel that things have changed with high unemployment. It does look rundown there is high unemployment. And it's not about me opening shops which, may well happen upon my retirement, and it is not about me wrenching myself away from where I am, that's a bit of a slight from someone who doesn't know me ! I am down there often, I know where my roots are.....I'm very proud to be an Ayrshire girl.....I've nothing to be ashamed of.......I just see my hometown run down and would like people to know about it and hopefully help to get it sorted !!!
What's wrong with that? Or have people given up?
I feel the same.
C.S.Lewis