muggings

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

muggings

Post by 5siamese7 »

Old ladies getting robbed in broad daylight in Ardrossan and Saltcoats. Makes me so angry and I realise the local police feel the same. I walk up to the cross to get my paper on a Sunday and I wear photochromics and recently I was asked by an iffy guy for a light and that was at 9-30 in the morning. He probably thought I was partially sighted and was trying it on. However my reply was "sorry pal" and with the menacing look I gave him he cleared off. Think i'll stop going up there because its likely that one day I will meet a really crazy person.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: muggings

Post by GEODGC »

It really boils my blood that pensioners don’t feel safe walking the streets in the three towns. The good news is- a 27 year old man has been arrested for the muggings. I wouldn’t mind 5 mins in a room with the young chap to point out the error of his ways.

http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/161 ... ef=mr&lp=3
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

It is so not OK.

Worse than this are incidents not being attended. Met a few folk who have made calls to police where they have not shown up.

Radio 2 were discussing this on Thursday. Due to the cuts to police budgets up n down the UK, even 999 calls were not attended. Shocking what was on Jeremy Vine show last week.

Plus. They should bring back community wardens urgently, so people may bring up concerns.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I think VIv that you may have noticed that I walk briskly. Not quite power walking but noticeable. Last week carrying two bags of messages coming out of Sainsbury's into Hamilton street two policemen on the opposite pavement stopped and had a good look at me as they must have initially thought I had been shoplifting and was making my escape. Well I just smiled and kept going but it was good that they were there. I wish we had more police on the street in Stevenston and i'm sure you remember an old guy was mugged across from the post office not so long ago. The after effects can impact so much on people's lives that they stop going out. Its all very well being brave but some of these robbers carry knifes and that's one of the reasons our police wear body armour.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I read about the bag snatching's in Ardrossan and Saltcoats in the A&S Herald.
Sad for the two women involved and glad to hear that someone's been apprehended and charged in relation to both incident's.
Innocent until proven guilty though as they say.

This type of crime can happen almost anywhere and at any time, but for me that shouldn't mean pensioners in Stevenston who go out to buy a weekend newspaper and a couple of rolls should be wary of visiting the Cross area on a Sunday morning.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

5siamese7 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:24 pm Last week carrying two bags of messages coming out of Sainsbury's into Hamilton street two policemen on the opposite pavement stopped and had a good look at me as they must have initially thought I had been shoplifting and was making my escape.
You stick to Lidl- Bill - No need to worry ....
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:24 pm I think VIv that you may have noticed that I walk briskly. Not quite power walking but noticeable. Last week carrying two bags of messages coming out of Sainsbury's into Hamilton street two policemen on the opposite pavement stopped and had a good look at me as they must have initially thought I had been shoplifting and was making my escape. Well I just smiled and kept going but it was good that they were there. I wish we had more police on the street in Stevenston and i'm sure you remember an old guy was mugged across from the post office not so long ago. The after effects can impact so much on people's lives that they stop going out. Its all very well being brave but some of these robbers carry knifes and that's one of the reasons our police wear body armour.
Yes. Noticed you walk briskly !!! Dunno why police would have been staring like that though. Would not have you down for shoplifting.

MichaelM, my neighbour hardly goes out because of worries. Her son brings shopping in or I do bits n pieces. Shame folk feel they cannot enjoy the Spring weather.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:28 am
MichaelM, my neighbour hardly goes out because of worries. Her son brings shopping in or I do bits n pieces. Shame folk feel they cannot enjoy the Spring weather.
Sad to hear that, although maybe your neighbour has other conditions as well that also prevent her from getting out and about.

On the other side of the coin though, I know a local lady in her 80's (Jeanette) who had a stroke a few years ago but still get's out to the shop's with the help of a metal frame with wheels on it and a basket on the front for groceries.

ps. That Billy has always been a dodgy looking character. :lol:
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

There's nothing funny about any of this, suppose one of those ladies had been your mother how would you feel. And notwithstanding that those ladies probably have health conditions. I knew an old guy who was mugged in the New Street and he was never the same again. As for shop lifting there is no certain type. A terrible tragedy was the case of Dr Isabell Barnet so ashamed was she that she electrocuted herself in her bath.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

You would never be the same again I would imagine. :evil:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 pm There's nothing funny about any of this, suppose one of those ladies had been your mother how would you feel. And notwithstanding that those ladies probably have health conditions. I knew an old guy who was mugged in the New Street and he was never the same again. As for shop lifting there is no certain type.
If you're suggesting that I've not been entirely respectful or sympathetic towards the victims of these or any other muggings then you're talking absolute nonsense and you know it.
Maybe because I don't share the exact same scaremongering views on this as you do is the reason why you seem to have a bee in your bonnet here.
Or maybe you were just having a bad day, happens to us all.

Lighten up. You've obviously taken offence at my - purely intended as humour - comment about you being a dodgy looking character, even though it was you yourself who suggested in your post that the Police were eyeing you up like you were a shoplifter trying to escape in a hurry.
What's not to find funny about that.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Well he tried to defend himself and what a kicking he got. Broken teeth, his face was the size of two, terrible bruising I've never seen anything like it in my life. It changed his personality, he became withdrawn thank goodness these attacks are rare.