UK Food in our Aussie Supermarkets

Other photos that don’t fit elsewhere can be shown in this album.
Forum rules
Show photographs here, which don't fit elsewhere. Use a storage agent such as http://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

UK Food in our Aussie Supermarkets

Post by Hughie »

Our local Woolworths Supermarket's UK shelf here in Australia. Think the current exchange is 55P to our $1.00. I know ... :roll: Just experimenting making my own thumbnails at Imgur. Click to enlarge.

ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: UK Food in our Aussie Supermarkets

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

That's Retail Exploitation in action there Hughie. Rip-off prices which are more than double normal UK Supermarket prices. When I did my strolls around the shops in Perth recently I noticed prices were only slightly higher than UK's although there was always a budget option. I hope at least they offer constant prices as Morrison's in the UK practise Yo-yo pricing, eg, 1 Litre bottle of Gordons Gin £15 to £22.89, last week it was £18 today it's £18.99 but the 70cl size has been dropped from £15.99 to £13 which works out at £18.54 per litre. In Oz at the Bottle Store it was on SPECIAL OFFER at equivalent of £27.
Nescafe Gold Blend 200g size when on Best Special offer, usually a BOGOFF ( buy one get one free ) can be £4 but its usual price is £6.48, LIDL is £5 constantly.
It's all a marketing exercise and bears no relation to the actual cost to them of the item. In Poundland in Irvine Mall you can buy a combined pack of McVities Jamaica Gingercake and Tate & Lyle's Syrupcake for ... wait for it ... £1, anytime.
Morrisons have it on Special yo-yo price of £1.29 instead of its top price of £1.29 per cake.
When Aldi and Lidl first opened stores in West of Scotland most of the produce was German and North European often without any English on the label but was excellent quality at very low prices ... but they have now started offering Big Brand names as have Poundvalue, Poundland & Poundstretcher.
The poor consumer doesn't stand a chance unless you work a wee system ... currently I have 6 of 200g of Nescafe Gold Blend and 12 bottles of Schweppes Indian Tonic Water ( from a special offer at ASDA ) and 12 tins of Heinz Soups at 33pence each instead of 85pence.
You won't get me I'm part of the union .... reluctantly, till the day I die, it's looking like. Slainge mhath!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

ardrossanrentboy wrote:That's Retail Exploitation in action there Hughie. Rip-off prices which are more than double normal UK Supermarket prices.
We've come to accept that, ARB. In the early days in Oz we'd gladly pay the premium for such things, but we've been gone too long now. Onyways, oor Betty had a bag full of tea biscuits, carmel wavers etc ... when we arrived back in Oz over a month ago - there are still some in the fridge, and I've only had one or two. We have comparable products here. In fact our supermarkets have most of the same products you'd find in UK supermarkets.

Spring has sprung here! :D
Richard

Post by Richard »

There are only 2 good things to come out of England and one of them is on that top shelf.
:lol:

Seriously, Colmans English Mustard, my favourite and I'm never without a jar of it.
We'll pay around £1.50 for a small jar - worth every last penny.
Am I seeing that price tag correctly - $5 ?
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

If you're looking for other good moothie tunes try a wee medley that one of our gang does ; Harvest Home / The Boys of Bluehill & Derry Hornpipe/ Harvest Home (beware the English classical Harvest Home though).
You'll find a variety of tempos and styles on Youtube by guitars, fiddles, accordions and moothies.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Can get most of this here, probably half the price in UK..strange that. We have import shops which are a wee bit more pricey but regular supermarkets carry most, maybe not the sweeties. Need my Colemans, H.P, pickled onions, Branston pickle, etc. too!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Funnily enough, went to make mincemeat pies once and mistook a jar of Branston for mincemeat..they were quite good though!
Made a pumpkin pie, way back, forgot the sugar, our Irish setter loved it. :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis