Tribute to HMAS Sydney

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Tribute to HMAS Sydney

Post by Hughie »

I took these photos of the memorial from above the West Australian town of Geraldton back in August this year. It's relate to the sinking nearby of HMAS Sydney in 1941 by a German raider. You'll find the story documented here.

The resting place of HMAS Sydney has only recently been discovered. We were very impressed by the enthusiasm of the local historians.

geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Tribute to HMAS Sydney

Post by geomacintyre »

Good to see this tribute to the Sydney, Hugh. A few years ago I came across a make-up compact with the battle crest of the Sydney on it in a charity shop in Longbenton, Newcastle. The Sydney was, as you may be aware, built on the Tyne and these were trinkets the crew gave to local girls/women. I contacted the Australian War Memorial who asked if I would like to donate the compact as they had very few items relating to the Sydney. I agreed and it was duly picked up by courier and is now, I hope, part of the Sydney collection at the AWM.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine