Kerelaw

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Kerelaw

Post by Vivc113 »

I don't think I would forget it either!!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Back in the 1930,s (I think), there was a story in one of the big glossy magazines in the States about a cockerel which ran around for several days after having its head chopped off.

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

A wee bit off topic here, but these type of stories are no doubt where the well known phrase "Running around like Headless Chickens" originated from.
And these days it's a phrase I've sometimes even heard being used by football supporters to describe a hopelessly inept performance by their own team. :lol:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

John Donnelly wrote:Back in the 1930,s (I think), there was a story in one of the big glossy magazines in the States about a cockerel which ran around for several days after having its head chopped off.

JD.
Cannot see how this works.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

18 (eighteen) months is accepted as the record :shock: !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34198390

I'm sure too that we're all familiar with the expression - "running about like a headless chicken".
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I remember watching a program on TV called the last voices of world war 1.

There was an old Scottish fellow telling a story about running through no mans land. He turned to look at his mate and his head had been clean blown off but yet his body ran on a little bit before collapsing.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes Bonzo once the brain sends the message to run if further instructions cannot get through for a short time you keep running. KInd of when a drunk starts to run he can't stop because the message cannot get through. Hope that makes sense. I remember years ago coming out of the Station bar and because it was raining this father and son took to their heels and ran but couldn't stop but luckily when they reached the Ardeer filling station help was at hand we found them hanging on to the petrol pumps. They were lucky the pumps were there or they could have been run over.
deborahferguson
New Poster
New Poster

Post by deborahferguson »

Hi
I'm new to this website and the name Kerelaw caught my eye. My g-g- grandfather was footman then eventually butler to Gavin Fullarton at Kerelaw house between about 1845 to his death in 1886. His extensive family lived at Breakplough in Stevenson. Does anyone know if these cottages still exist and if they do are there any photos or other information > I haven't found much on Google.

Many Thanks

Deborah
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes they are still there. If you google Stevenston flickr there are some pictures of how it looked years ago. To-day the cottages have been modernised and look fine.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Oooo!!! Love this.

Yes. Cottages still exist. I think you would find a pic on the North Ayrshire Council heritage section of their website.

The heritage museum had a facebook comp where you had to identify the Brakeplough so they have the pix. The Heritage Museum in Saltcoats would perhaps be able to email a pic to you.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

deborahferguson wrote:Hi
My g-g- grandfather was footman then eventually butler to Gavin Fullarton at Kerelaw house between about 1845 to his death in 1886.
Deborah,

Are you able to provide your g-g-grandfather's full name and the date on which he died?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=break ... wcQ3zhM%3A
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

What great, great pix!! Brilliant PT!! :mrgreen: