'The Open' Practise Day Photo's.

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Paid a wee trip to Royal Troon on the Wednesday, which was the final 'Practise' day before the actual
Competition proper began on the Thursday.
Managed to get a few decent pics, which I probably wouldn't have got when it officially began, as taking photo's out on the course on Competition days is frowned upon.

The one and only John Daly on the practise Putting Green.

Francesco Molinari.
If you look closely here you might just be able to make out the two tee pegs on the Green to the left of his left foot. These were placed only a fraction more than a balls width apart and about 18 inches or so from the ball itself with the hole some 10-12 feet away.
The drill was obviously to putt between the pegs without hitting either one, and also to hole the putt. I was very impressed, as Francesco actually managed to do just that on quite a high percentage of occasions here.

Ernie Els, aka 'The big Easy'.

Justin Rose with a typical steely eyed look of determination on his face.

With the facial hair and shades, I almost didn't recognise this former 'Open' winner.
It is of course, Justin Leonard.

Jamie Donaldson has a very Scottish sounding name, but is in fact from Wales.

No prizes for guessing the nationality of Sergio Garcia.

Jason Day in practise swing mode, just prior to playing a delicate wee chip over a greenside bunker
and onto the 17th Green.

Lee Westwood weighing things up.

And Putting on the 17th Green.

Must admit, until I took this pic and had a wee gander at it on the PC, I had absolutely no idea that
Vijay Singh played his chip shots with a cack-handed grip.

Kevin Na.

Some of the Oriental guys had quite large entourages in tow, with all sorts of huge looking camera
equipment slung over their shoulders.

Not quite sure which player this is Putting at the 17th, but the question posed on the large electronic screen in the back ground is an interesting one. I remember in years gone by there would have been No Penalty for playing a wrong ball from a bunker - maybe because in those days players weren't allowed to touch or move any sand at all, even to try and ID a plugged ball.
I'm reasonably sure they can actually do that now, provided they then recreate the original lie of the ball after doing so. (hope I've got that right there)
It then probably made sense for the R&A to introduce a penalty for any infringement. So the correct answer given was option A. 'Player loses the Hole.

The 17th Green, from the Grandstand behind.

The 8th, (Postage Stamp) from the Grandstand behind the Tee.

Spent a wee bit of time watching this young guy - Tommy Fleetwood - practicing and what a fantastic looking golf swing he has. Unfortunately when the Competition proper started he narrowly failed to make the half-way Cut line. But what a player!

Among others who I didn't quite manage to get a clear enough view of for a decent pic - including Monty and the rest of the Scots boys - was a big chap named Andrew (Beef) Johnston. He's become a very popular character with spectators and media folk alike. He's also doing very well as he's currently sitting in fourth place going into today's (Sunday)final round.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: 'The Open' Practise Day Photo's.

Post by Vivc113 »

Great pix with great detail too !! :hi:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Another great set of photo's Michael. Just out of sheer curiosity-do you have to pay an entrance fee on practise day. ? :D
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Cracking photos. My mate was there on Friday think he said 80 quid for a day ticket.
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote:Great pix with great detail too !! :hi:
Cheers Viv.
brian f wrote:Another great set of photo's Michael. Just out of sheer curiosity-do you have to pay an entrance fee on practise day. ? :D
Aye brian, it cost me £40 at the gate on Wednesday.
Cheaper deals are to be found online on the Official Open website though, especially if you book early enough for next year.
bonzo wrote:Cracking photos. My mate was there on Friday think he said 80 quid for a day ticket.
Your mate's right bonzo. It was £80 for a day ticket to the actual competition days - Thurs. till Sun.
Just a wee bit too steep price wise for me I'm afraid, especially when you couldn't take any pics.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Nice photos, Michael. I remember in 1992 taking my pre-digitail clunky SLR to Muirfield - lucky we were only there on practice day, :wink:
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

We were there yesterday. First time I've ever been at the golf and I have to say I thought the set up was really good, the facilities were excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our day, it's a little bit pricey for food and drink but not any more expensive than any other big event. Day tickets cost £60 because we got them in advance.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Hughie wrote:Nice photos, Michael. I remember in 1992 taking my pre-digitail clunky SLR to Muirfield - lucky we were only there on practice day, :wink:
Even if you had taken it on a Competition day Hughie, I doubt if it would have been as frowned upon back then as it is now. :wink:
GEODGC wrote:it's a little bit pricey for food and drink but not any more expensive than any other big event. Day tickets cost £60 because we got them in advance.
Must admit I thought the food on offer was indeed overpriced so I'm glad I took some of my own with me.
Had a very enjoyable day though and got a few decent pics as well which was one of the things I was after.

Aye GEO, if you booked and paid for an adult day ticket for any of the Competition days before a certain date, you got it for £60 instead of £80. I'll maybe do that next time.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Cycled past today an army of workers taking it all to pieces now.
Those wimin were in the nip.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Can you tell me how to 'post' photos please. I am having difficulty finding the email adress of the three towners photos site. Thanks.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

See this post: http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 96#p144396

I might add that any photos directly related to the three towns which we'd consider of historical value you can uploaded using our internal system.

How?
While composing an email click on the tab "Attachments". and follow the prompts. Consider using our members' practice area initially if you are unsure. See here: http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... =28&t=5132
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Won't be long now till The Open Championship comes round again. This year it's being held at Royal Birkdale in Southport during the week of 16th to 23rd July.
Among the photo's I posted above from Troon last year were a couple of a young chap named Tommy Fleetwood. He's been in brilliant form recently - finishing in 4th place at last months US Open and has now just gone on to win the French Open. Tommy himself hails from Southport so I'm sure he'll get an absolutely fantastic reception from the local fans when he steps onto that first Tee at Birkdale.

A couple of short clips.