Pictures tell a story

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Pictures tell a story

Post by Retsum »

They say pictures tell a story but that story is not always obvious. I thought of displaying this image and inviting you to work out the story but unless you know the area it would be difficult.

The place is Cullen, a small town on the Buchan/Banff/Moray coast. It used to be a fishing village, like many of the villages along this coast. I am told that you could walk the length and breadth of the harbour (only a small part seen here) by stepping from boat to boat. Now as you see the harbour is empty. It could not accommodate the larger trawlers. Now only one or two small boats collect crabs and lobsters. The former close-packed fisher homes are now mostly double-glazed holiday houses. The Victorian viaduct that used to carry the railway along the coast is now a ramblers walkway and the sandy sweep of Cullen bay to which holidaymakers from the central belt used to flock has lost out to cheap package holidays in warmer areas.
Richard

Re: Pictures tell a story

Post by Richard »

Another good picture, Retsum.
And a very familiar story that's playing out all around most of our coastline.
Keep the pictures coming, I'm a glutton for punishment.
//perfect
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Great photo Retsum, the viaduct is an impressive piece of engineering. No health and safety or risk assessments in they days. :roll:
Every picture tells a story right enough, but for me, my first thought was soup ( Cullen skink) mmm, how about getting us the original local recipe. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I'll see what I what I can do little plum. If I get a result I'll post it to the recipes topic. I have to say I have never had Cullen skink - I shudder at the thought!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Retsum/LP:
I've added Cullen Skink recipe for you's, in appropriate recipe section.