My Neck of the Woods

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

My Neck of the Woods

Post by Retsum »

I thought you might like to see some images from my neck of the woods. The first two are of Fyvie Castle which is just down the road from us. It and the estate are now owned by the National Trust for Scotland and is an excellent location for a walk or a picnic.

Banff and MacDuff (just up the road from us) are separated by the river Deveron, the bridge over which you see in the first image. Centre middle is the football ground of Deveron Vale football club.
The tower in MacDuff has a clock on three of the faces but the one seen from Banff has no clock. The folk in Macduff would not give the folk in Banff the time of day!. MacDuff is the industrial centre while Banff is the commercial centre. MacDuff still has a small fishing fleet and has the only shipyard in the U.K. which still builds wooden boats - mainly fishing trawlers but it has a steady trickle of people who want a trawler- style boat fitted out for family cruising rather than for fish (sets you back about 2 million.

The abandoned swimming pool at Tarlair (adjacent to MacDuff) was recently given grade A listing by virtue of its Art Deco architecture. In its zenith in the 40s and 50s it attracted up to 5000 to its swimming galas. In more recent times it has been the venue for rock concerts.

A few years ago we had a quiet autumn which allowed the trees to keep their foliage right through to November. This is in a park in Turriff.

I hope they are of interest.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: My Neck of the Woods

Post by morag »

Absolutely gorgeous. //perfect
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Great photos Retsum, and glorious colours. Thanks for sharing.

Meg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ditto, previous comments, Retsum.
Especially those of the coast. Brings back lots of good memories for me.
I've done the journey many times, by boat.
Up the east coast, into the Moray Firth and down through the Caledonian canal, back to the west coast.
Only ever stopped in MacDuff once, to get some urgent work done to the boat.
You take an excellent picture Retsum.
Thank you.
//perfect
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Lovely! Specially the Autumn foliage. We don't see very much of that here in Oz.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Noo Hughie's got me a' broody, September song, Autumn leaves...ah might just hae a gless o' wine.. :roll: lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Has the rules for posting photos changed.I would rather do without Photobucket.

sweet caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

No, the rules haven't changed. If photos are unrelated to the three towns we'd prefer the photo was hosted in Photobucket or some other photo hosting site.

Photobucket is simple to use. It should take only a few minutes to have an account up and running.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Hughie wrote: Photobucket is simple to use. It should take only a few minutes to have an account up and running.
I would echo that. I just opened a free account with PhotoBucket prior to posting the images. I had never used them before (I prefer Flickr but it is not compatible with this website) but it took only a few minutes to copy and paste the code.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Retsum, love the photographs. It might seem odd, but I like the images of the swimming pool, it reminds me of some Roman amphitheatres I've visited further afield.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Yes, I like the atmosphere at the old pool. It is usually quiet and peaceful but with a notherly wind and a following tide you get this sort of erosion:
The pool is just to the right, out of shot.
Thanks to all for your kind comments.