Ardrossan Academy sports, prefects and other group photos session 1973-74

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ardrossan Academy sports, prefects and other group photos session 1973-74

Post by down south »

So we come to the final session of these Ardrossan Academy photos, and once again I'll start with the hockey team.
Ardrossan Academy hockey team October 1973.jpg
The caption with this picture, which dates from October 1973, gives the background; suffice it to say that this was a notable triumph for the Academy, coming joint first in the whole of South-West Scotland. They obviously hadn't thought up anything so cruel as a penalty shoot-out in those days.

And who were the members of this illustrious team ? Names as follows:

Back row: Mrs Strachan; ???; Agnes Wilson; Morag Colquhoun; Susan Dunlop; ???

Front row:Doreen Barbour; Karen Cochrane; Sandra McMillan; Lillian Montgomery; Rosemary Paterson; Margaret Stirton.

There's also another picture of the team with the trophy, presumably from the school magazine at the end of the year.
Ardrossan Academy hockey first XI 1973-74.jpg
More new faces this time, so fewer identifications than before.I thought that might have been Karen Cochrane next to Mrs Strachan, but comparing the photos I now doubt it.

Back row : ???; ???; Morag Colquhoun ? ; ???; ??? ; Mrs Strachan .

Front row : Margaret Stirton; Agnes Wilson; Susan Dunlop; Sandra McMillan; ???; Irene Elder; Rosemary Paterson.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Academy sports and other group photos session 1973-74

Post by down south »

Another Academy team to win a trophy in session 1973-74 were the boys' volleyball team. Making the most of home advantage, they beat Queen Margaret's Academy, Ayr, 15-9, 15-7 in the final of the Ayrshire Schools Volleyball Championship in December 1973.

The winning side were listed as R Hastings ( captain ), G Moffat, N Lee, J Smith, J Gossman, and L McKinnon with substitutes C Robb, A Phillips and G Rosen, and here most of them are pictured in the A&S Herald.

Ardrossan Academy volleyball team December 1973.jpg

Back row : Unknown teacher; Lindsay McKinnon; James Smith; Nelson Lee; Clive Robb.

Front row : ???; Ronald Hastings; ???; ???

Jimmy Gossman appears to be the one who's missing from this photo.

Again there's another photo of the team for this year, presumably from the magazine.

Ardrossan Academy boys volleyball team session 1973-74.jpg

Back row : Jimmy Gossman ?; Clive Robb; Lindsay McKinnon; ???

Front row : Nelson Lee; Ronald Hastings; James Smith.

Susan
Seasider59
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Seasider59 »

The teacher is Mr Hunter, sorry can't remember his first name.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

We might as well for completeness' sake look at the rugby team, although I can name very few in this now.

Ardrossan Academy rugby team session 1973-74.jpg

Back row : Lindsay McKinnon; James Smith; ???;???;???; ???;???; Stephen Hayton.

Front row : ???; ???; ???; Ronald Hastings; Jimmy Gossman; ???; Nelson Lee.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

It won't surprise you to hear that the Academy retained its trophies for Latin and Greek verse-speaking, and here once again are the team that did it :

Ardrossan Academy classics team session 1973-74.jpg

Back row : Susan Young ?; ???; John Johnston; ???; ???

Middle row : ???; Valerie Wallace ?; Elaine Murchie; ???; Ailie MacPherson; Susan Geddes; ???; ???; Dr Nisbet.

Front row : Anne Buchanan; Sheila Curwen; Iain Wotherspoon; Elizabeth Hendry; Christine Cairns; ???

Individual prizewinners were as follows.

In Greek, Fiona Kerr was 1st in Beginners' Greek and Christine Cairns 2nd. Anne Buchanan was 1st in Intermediate Greek and Margaret Stevenson and Valerie Wallace won certificates. Elaine Murchie was 1st in Senior Greek prose reading and Elizabeth Hendry was 2nd.

In Latin, Susan Young was 2nd in intermediate prose reading and Karen Barclay won a certificate. In Intermediate Latin verse, Susan Geddes was 1st and Alison Mackay and Sheila Partridge achieved certificates. In Senior prose reading, Gail Pattinson was 3rd and a certificate went to Sheila Curwen; while in senior verse, Iain Wotherspoon was 1st, Morag Skinner 3rd, and Gail Pattinson won a certificate.

Finally, in the written translation contest, Sheila Curwen was 1st in Senior verse translation, and Judith Wright was 2nd in Intermediate verse.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Ardrossan Academy won another contest in this session, a debating one, but since there are also pupils from Auchenharvie in the picture, I'm making it a separate topic; you'll find it here .

But not to make this post entirely pointless, here's another 1973-74 picture; it shows sixth year pupils Stephen Hayton ( left ) and David McMeekin in the process of manufacturing bunk beds intended for Corrie Croft, the Ayrshire Schools Outdoor Centre on the island of Arran. James Kerr, George Thomson and Ian Ward also took part in this project.

Ardrossan Academy bunkmakers November 1973.jpg
Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

We come now to the school dance for senior pupils. Not the best quality picture, but I've still managed to identify some of the familiar faces.

Ardrossan Academy senior dance December 1973.jpg

Starting with the front standing row, which I'd better define; I've included the first rank of those behind their shoulders if seen in full face.

Margaret Stirton; ???; ???; ???; ???; ???; Rhona MacPherson; ???; Karen Cochrane; ???; Fiona Maclean; Karen Leitch; ???; ???; Lesley McGregor; ???; ???; ???; ???; ???; Joan Geddes; James Smith; ???; Peter Hutchison.

Seated row : ???; ???; Helen MacPherson; Agnes Wilson; Sheila Curwen; Rosemary Paterson; Irene Elder; rest unknown.

Seated on floor: fifth from left, Ann McKillop.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Academy sports, prefects and other group photos session 1973-74

Post by down south »

Last but not least, we come to the prefects for this session.

There were an enormous number of them by now. The count had risen modestly from 24 in the 1950s to 34 in 1970-71; but when the school went comprehensive it leapt to, by the time of this session 1973-74, more than double that, 82 at a minimum. As a result they wouldn't all fit in the one picture, so there are two; one each for the boys and the girls.

The decision to make up the numbers by recruiting fifth as well as sixth years as prefects means that I know less of them than I otherwise would have; and indeed I'm surprised at how few I recognise of the boys, with a number of people missing that I would have expected to see. So I'll start by dealing with them.

Ardrossan Academy prefects ( boys ) session 1973-74.jpg

Back row :Ian Steele ?; ???; ???; ???; ???; ???; James Smith; Nelson Lee; ???; ???; ???

Second row : ???; ???; ???; Cameron Reid; ??? ;Stephen Hayton; ???; Jimmy Gossman; Ronald Hastings; Iain McIntyre; ???; ???

Third row :Jim Watson ?; ???; ???; Allan Cowan; ???; ???; ???; ???; ???; Andrew Barlow ?; Lindsay McKinnon.

Front row : David McMeekin; Iain Wotherspoon; ???; ???; Mr Bannatyne; ???; Oluf Olufsen ?; ???; John Johnston; Peter Hutchison.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

And here finally of all these Academy group photos, are the girl prefects for 1973-74.

Ardrossan Academy prefects (girls )  session 1973-74.jpg

Back row : Sandra McMillan; Rosemary Paterson; Helen MacPherson; Agnes Wilson; Joan Geddes; Margaret Stirton; Ailsa Wardrop; Gillian Barclay; Eleanor Bartleman ??; Lesley McGregor.

Second row : ???; ???; Irene Elder; Elizabeth Hendry; Sheila Curwen; ???; Barbara Allan ?; Lesley Cuthill; ???; ???

Third row : ???; ???; Linda Reid ?; Fiona Maclean; ???; ???; ???; Susan Broadfoot; Margaret-Jean Murchie; Janice Galloway.

Front row : ???; ???; ???; ???; ???; Miss Lyle; Janessa Armstrong; Marion Dodds; Janice Green; Lucy Robertson.

Susan
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

down south wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:34 pm We come now to the school dance for senior pupils. Not the best quality picture, but I've still managed to identify some of the familiar faces.

Ardrossan Academy senior dance December 1973.jpg

Starting with the front standing row, which I'd better define; I've included the first rank of those behind their shoulders if seen in full face.

Margaret Stirton; ???; ???; ???; ???; ???; Rhona MacPherson; ???; Karen Cochrane; ???; Fiona Maclean; Karen Leitch; ???; ???; Lesley McGregor; ???; ???; ???; ???; ???; Joan Geddes; James Smith; ???; Peter Hutchison.

Seated row : ???; ???; Helen MacPherson; Agnes Wilson; Sheila Curwen; Rosemary Paterson; Irene Elder; rest unknown.

Seated on floor: fifth from left, Ann McKillop.

Susan
My brother, Ian Campbell is the person standing with the light grey jumper over to the right just behind those that are seated.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Another photo but with minimal names. This shows the Ardrossan Academy third year hockey team in March 1974; they had just jointly won the Ayrshire Junior Hockey Cup.

Ardrossan Academy 3rd year hockey team March 1974.jpg
Back row: Third from left, Sheena Strachan; far right, Silvia McEwan.

Front row : Far right, Ailie MacPherson.

Susan
Seasider59
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Seasider59 »

From back left Linda Boyd, ?, Sheena Strachan, Miss Beggs ?, Sandra Bryan, Shona McKee, Sylvia McEwan
From front left Hazel Morgan, Gloria McCreadie, Gwen Adams, Shirley Riddex, Ailie MacPherson