School trips

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: School trips

Post by Hughie »

From Eglinton School back around 1956, we had a day trip by corridor train to the Lake District. As mentioned elsewhere some idiots did a bit of shoplifting in Kendall which brought shame on us.

I found myself smooching on the way back with a lovely girl who was an incomer to our school. Wish I could re-run that recollection in my head 'cause she was so nice. Just a natural and wholesome thing teenagers did then and now - we've all been there - well I hope you have. :wink:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha smooching now there's a word. Think it had turned in to winching by the time my day came along :lol:.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

bonzo wrote:Mrs palmer was my teacher in P5 and P6 she is a family friend of ours met her about this time last year she was still going strong.

Mrs raeburn was an auxiliary type can't remember her actual title.
Oh. She is still alive. Lucky you getting to meet her again.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hughie I was on that trip to the Lake district I remember well the theivery that went on at that wee English shop. It was embarassing to be a Scot. First time I had been on a corridor train also and the first time I had been in England.I was shocked to find it was not that different from Scotland. the grass was still green and the sky was still blue. I remember another trip we took to Rothsey with Mr. Burke the Geography teacher.
We boarded a submarine depot ship. The ship fired a 21 gun salute, must have been the queens birthday,
and we had to pass the shell cartridges in a long line and dump them over the side. some of the boys burned their fingers. I cant remember but this might have been my first year at the Academy.
Only other trips at Eglinton was when we marched to Salcoats to the Countess to see the movie Martin Luther.
As I recall there was a fello from Ardrossan in that movie and again marched to Saltpans swimming pool.
No cruises to foreign ports in those days.

Robert
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I went through the Academy and apart from a trip to West Linton, ( which no-one in my class took as it was too near the Qualifying exams) I don't remember ever being offered any outings.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Robert Cook wrote:Hughie I was on that trip to the Lake district I remember well the theivery that went on at that wee English shop. It was embarassing to be a Scot. First time I had been on a corridor train also and the first time I had been in England.I was shocked to find it was not that different from Scotland. the grass was still green and the sky was still blue. I remember another trip we took to Rothsey with Mr. Burke the Geography teacher.
We boarded a submarine depot ship. The ship fired a 21 gun salute, must have been the queens birthday,
and we had to pass the shell cartridges in a long line and dump them over the side. some of the boys burned their fingers. I cant remember but this might have been my first year at the Academy.
Only other trips at Eglinton was when we marched to Salcoats to the Countess to see the movie Martin Luther.
As I recall there was a fello from Ardrossan in that movie and again marched to Saltpans swimming pool.
No cruises to foreign ports in those days.

Robert
This is the stories I'm after awbudy had a few dafties in their year we cannae turn back the clock now. Loving reading these
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I did Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen and Hamburg on the MV DUNERA - 3 countries - 4 cities - £32.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Oh. Just remembered Hadrian's Wall. How could I forget.

2nd year Latin class. Meant to be educational. Chucked it down the whole weekend.

And Wilderswil Switzerland. Should go back there. The most peaceful Swiss village near Interlaken.

And the journey on the train away up the mountains which we then slid down on black bin bags.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

My brothers and sisters all got school trips at Auchenharvie but not poor me hahaha. Think between them they went to Switzerland, America, czechoslovakia and Italy.
Big Sanny
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Big Sanny »

Bergen,Oslo, Copenhagen,Hamburg on the Dunera !!! I was there and remember it well! Penny Tray your posting brought back many happy memories. Amazingly coincindentally I am off to Hamburg next weekend for the first time since that trip.Every year John Sweeney(Kilbirnie,now South Wales) Tom Cassidy (Saltcoats,now Geneva) and I (Stevenston,now Penarth) all ex.St.Michaels compatriots meet up for a reunion.This year we are off to Hamburg for the weekend accompanied by my brother Martin and John's brother Mark.I bet we don't get up to as much mischief as I did on that Dunera trip! But you know the old rugby adage "What happens on tour stays on tour"!!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Big Sanny wrote:Bergen,Oslo, Copenhagen,Hamburg on the Dunera !!! I was there and remember it well! Penny Tray your posting brought back many happy memories. Amazingly coincindentally I am off to Hamburg next weekend for the first time since that trip.Every year John Sweeney(Kilbirnie,now South Wales) Tom Cassidy (Saltcoats,now Geneva) and I (Stevenston,now Penarth) all ex.St.Michaels compatriots meet up for a reunion.This year we are off to Hamburg for the weekend accompanied by my brother Martin and John's brother Mark.I bet we don't get up to as much mischief as I did on that Dunera trip! But you know the old rugby adage "What happens on tour stays on tour"!!
Big Sanny (going off topic here) but I lived in Hamburg for a couple of years there, if you would like any help with things to do or places to eat and drink give me a shout :good:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Vivc113 wrote:

You have to have been in my class... I recognise every one of these. Valkenburg... that's right... had forgotten the name of the place. They had the tobagan run.... so exciting for young kids. And the windmills to buy.... my mum still has a windmill somewhere. :mrgreen: .
Watching the red bull soap box race this morning which came from valkenburg.